Planing the build-out of Discovery

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Belinda...............

It is Oh-so-Close !...........if everything goes without a hitch..........my house will close on June 1.........the Ford dealership is tracking two different new Transits that meet my general needs ........and they will wholesale purchase and deliver one of them for me within 72 hrs of receiving my deposit......I agreed to re-purchase 6 weeks "rental" of the house/garage so I can complete my build..........that makes my Launch date Mid-July

I'm actually embarrassed to say I have come sooooo close to foreclosure and potentially losing it ALL.......We've always followed the rules and paid our
fair share (and then some).......But One serious illness and our entire life/retirement savings was gone.......My SS check alone was unable to keep pace with the mortgage payments.......I just learned today that the lender will accept the "slightly late" mortgage payoff in lieu of further pursuing the foreclosure process

Cross your Fingers................doug

Only positive thoughts and prayers!! You're certainly not the only one facing these sorts of circumstances in today's economy! I'm considering giving up my college credits so I don't have to "owe" anymore student loans... "First world problems, I'm sure"! :)

So glad you're going to be able to move forward and not deal with foreclosure, not only does it suck exponentially, it ties everything up for a few years. Went through it with mom after dad died.

Well I should learn.................at the last moment before the sale an old incomplete building permit of mine appeared.....(It was in the news just this week that a new policy includes these old reports in title searches......Seems Orlando has some 80,000 incomplete permits......I guess I'm in good company ?)...........

After the hurricanes some 12 years ago I rebuilt my 4-car garage/workshop without completing the inspection process......Yes Stoopid ! But how do you get architectural drawings for a 75 year old building and make it pass modern codes............If worse comes to worse I may have to tear down the building before I can sell........The buyer is still motivated and searching for a solution ........and I also have a motivated realtor ready to step in and purchase if all else fails

More Time and Money................keep those fingers crossed..........doug

Doug, send me a PM with an email address or phone number and I may be able to help you negotiate the building permit process. In another life I used to be a building inspector so I understand how most building departments think and how the code works. There are almost always options.

Ya Whooooo!!!!!!.....................The Buyers have agreed to take on the liability of the garage  .......They'll hire a contractor who will pull new permits which will remove the HOLD on the sale........and just a little more money for their trouble.....August closing

Thanks for all the well wishes     

doug

Well it's official...................I'm "Houseless".................YEAH!

The closing came a week earlier than scheduled........easy-peasey..........no problems

I also found THE van today..........I'll have to travel 125 miles to get it (Amtrak to Jacksonville).....But it's the Long and Tall Transit I wanted
It's used (25,000 miles) so it's not held hostage by the Transit recall halting all new sales until repairs are made.............and I got it at a fair price........until this afternoon it was "sold" to someone else who ultimately couldn't manage the financing..........."Timing's Everything"

NOW I've only got 6 weeks to complete the build-out while I rent the house back from the buyers (next-door-neighbors).......as well as finish the downsizing and clean-up..........

I'm both elated and scared to death............it's all REAL now............ so look out dwellers.......Here I come!

doug

Congratulations Doug! You are on your way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:) So how ya doing?  Are your bits and pieces fitting in the van like you had planned?  Are your co-driver and navigator spending any time in it with you?  I liked to have never convinced Queenie that the holes in the Aliner metal step were not going to open up and swallow her whole.  Finally I used some of my grey matter :idea: and put a soft rug over it.

Can you believe somebody stole the big wooden porch size step from the Aliner?  It was so heavy I could barely lift it.  Q liked to lay on it and keep a eye on me when we were working over there.  Better that than walking off with the AC unit.

I hope everything is coming together for you.  Is the weather holding you back any?  I hope  not!

Jewellann and Q

Thanks JewellAnn.............the weather's been fine............I'm wearing out the UPS and FedX men with all the deliveries

Here's a shot from a couple days ago...........just getting started............but the pieces are fitting and back to the original HUGE van

Transit aug from back.jpg

Thanks doug

Attachments

• Transit aug from back.jpg
    Transit aug from back.jpg
    253 KB
what year?
how tall?

i past a couple on the road and they looked taller then my rv