Pirate Camp Winter Season '23-24

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That overall feeling when a flu starts to hit... sensitive skin.. a bit achy and a headache. ther next day was feverish and more of the same... on day 3 of fever and sniffles/sneezing...
It's now official. I'm Covid19 positive. I sent a message to my Doc, but if anyone has any advice while I wait, please share.

It's now official. I'm Covid19 positive. I sent a message to my Doc, but if anyone has any advice while I wait, please share.
Sorry to hear that. I don't know anything about the new stuff ppl are taking. I just got the vaccines. Hope it is mild and over quickly.

Just do the same routine you use for any respiratory virus. Get plenty of rest, lots of fluids to keep up your energy and also to help thin the mucus. Tylenol or aspirin for fever. Decongestant if needed and/or do the inhale steam form a pan of hot water.

If you start feeling a strong “I can’t breath” and your breathing becomes very labored get to an emergency medical clinic right away. Or even call for an aid car if you can’t drive yourself. They have medication and equipment to get oxygen into your body.

The worst if it for me was an intense 36 hour sinus headache but it was mostly on my right side and my right nostril was blocked up as well.

Overall it was not nearly as bad as I thought it might be. But it was pretty unpleasant the first 3 days but not even close to as bad as having influenza.

The worst if it for me was an intense 36 hour sinus headache but it was mostly on my right side and my right nostril was blocked up as well.

Overall it was not nearly as bad as I thought it might be. But it was pretty unpleasant the first 3 days but not even close to as bad as having influenza.
When I had it (the first year of Covid), it was worse than I expected. I had several blankets on me and was still freezing. The most painful part was the back pain. Nobody was warning about the back pain. I was much better after a week.

When I had it (the first year of Covid), it was worse than I expected. I had several blankets on me and was still freezing. The most painful part was the back pain. Nobody was warning about the back pain. I was much better after a week.
Fortunately the virus has evolved into something much milder.

My new Popup screen room, UV resistant roof cover project is pretty much completed. I might do a little more work on it next week. The roofs on those popup screen rooms are not all that UV resistant for extended, daily use. They start getting tears and thin spots after about a year of daily use even though the rest of the structure is still in useable shape. So I made a “rain fly” for mine. Only time will tell if it is going to have been an idea that was worth the labor, effort and expense.
IMG_1314.jpeg

Nice job Maki… you’ll get to test the water aspect of it now. Been raining good this way all night. I expect to go out and find a plush lawn the way it’s been raining! Haha!
I hope those sick can recover well.

My rainfly is actually intended to be a UV-fly. Sun damage is what destroys the roofs of the popup screen rooms.

Of course my new fly will also shed rain but I have not yet sealed all the stitching lines. I will get around to that some other time if it looks like it is needed. Quartzsite is a bit limited on such supplies. I would need to do some testing to see which sealer will tightly adhere to the coating on the reverse side of the fabric. I think have a small tube with some still viable marine grade silicone caulk left from another project. I can test on the leftover scraps of the material so I will start testing with type of silicone. But not until this 2 day rain event is over with and things have dried out.

Last edited:
Time for modification #1 to my new rainfly. I need to add another piece of webbing with a D ring to the center of each side. The wind from the storm got under the fly and shifted it sideways. Thaose additional tie down lines will hook into the center hub on the sides of the tent. At this point it is all an experiment that keeps me off the streets except for running into town today for more D rings. 🤣 But I could use a dozen eggs too…

Rainy weather equals cabin fever, a trip into busy, busy Quartzsite will soon make me wish I was back in my cozy cabin!

Last edited:
Stopped into Carl Jrs in Quartzsite this morning to get a strong online connection so I could order car tabs. A friend I have camped with before was there. She used to have a Clam screen room but it wore out. However she had hung onto a couple of the side panels. When discussing my modifying some for my new screen room so they zip together instead of using the weak Velcro fasteners she asked if I wanted to have her no longer needed panels. Yes, Please!!! was my excited answer. So now I have the right weight and type of fabric to create protective placket pieces for on top of and under the zippers. The panels I got are just long enough to put zippers on them but there was not quite enough fabric for making those protective placket over and underlays. Problem now solved with that donation of material!

Cloudy and cold morning but so far the rain has held off. But it will be here shortly. My solar panel got enough input to top up my battery to fully charged. But my generator is at the ready for this evening. I want to fire up my diesel heater and also use my laptop for watching some movies. Too bad I forgot to get some popcorn 🍿

Video was fun to do.
Brian is a great guy
It was actually taped last year at the rtr.
Your rig is so cool. I love what you did with the cake pan and cookie sheet. The Spam cans, too. Also, I thought of getting a similar rig and started looking for tool chests like yours. Think I had settled on Kobalt brand, lol. Great minds think alike:D

You made a great rig.

My new Popup screen room, UV resistant roof cover project is pretty much completed. I might do a little more work on it next week. The roofs on those popup screen rooms are not all that UV resistant for extended, daily use. They start getting tears and thin spots after about a year of daily use even though the rest of the structure is still in useable shape. So I made a “rain fly” for mine. Only time will tell if it is going to have been an idea that was worth the labor, effort and expense.
View attachment 34984
Did you make a slipcover for the guylines? I never did come up with a solution to make my guylines glow-in-the-dark. I kept almost tripping on my tent guylines.

I can make fluorescent colored slipcovers and tack them at the top so they don't drop. Hope that makes sense.

Did you make a slipcover for the guylines? I never did come up with a solution to make my guylines glow-in-the-dark. I kept almost tripping on my tent guylines.

I can make fluorescent colored slipcovers and tack them at the top so they don't drop. Hope that makes sense.
Easy fix for that. For night time I use the inexpensive, dollar store Solar stake lights under the guy lines I might trip on. I am not likely to trip on more than one or two of the guy lines at night on my way back and forth from vehicle to the tent so I only need a couple of lights.

For daytime and night time I use some of the Mylar, shiny garland tinsel rope I got at the dollar store at Christmas and other holidays or in the party section. But mylar strips from a “emergency space blanket” will also work. Right now I have the tinsel rope on the guy lines on the sides I drive close to. It reflects back the car headlights making it easy to see the guyline so I do not run into it. My tinsel rope on the guy lines is recycled from decorating my trailer at Christmas, so basically a free solution.

When problem solving try not to get locked into thinking of just one solution. Think of multiple solutions and then chose between them. The flourescent guy line is expensive and does not hold up for constant use such as full time nomads do. My Dollar store solutions are more effective, cost less and are easy to replace as needed.

Last edited:
A rainbow followed me to Pirate camp this afternoon. My Element is in its element!
IMG_1328.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts