Pirate Camp Winter Season '23-24

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not boring at all. I love following what my virtual friends from the forum are doing. Very kind of ya'll for helping each other.

Makes me wonder what I will have to offer. From the sound of my posts, not much! LOL.

I can hold things in place while you guys hammer, measure, saw, etc .

I like hand sewing. Never seem to get the tension correct when machine sewing.
I can hammer, cut, and fix most things till the cows come home. But I will tape, or staple, to look for any other option before actually trying to push needle and thread through material. So your skills would be in high demand.

Hey Kids!!

Guess who has COVID.... managed to avoid it for almost 4 years..... and a buffet did me in..... anyone have some just Plaxovid hanging around?
Trying to get some is not going well.... checking to see if it can be had in MX... tried to qualify for a prescrip online from Walgreens, but denied? because I'm not dead yet??

Hey Kids!!

Guess who has COVID.... managed to avoid it for almost 4 years..... and a buffet did me in..... anyone have some just Plaxovid hanging around?
Trying to get some is not going well.... checking to see if it can be had in MX... tried to qualify for a prescrip online from Walgreens, but denied? because I'm not dead yet??
^^^ That is a legal issue

Pharmacies fill prescriptions but a pharmacist can’t write one.

Your primary doctor in another state cannot send a brand new prescription for a medication to the state you are in if that doctor is not licensed to practice medicine in that state. Meaning your out of state doctor cannot legally send a prescription to a Walgreens in AZ.

Your best approach is likely to go to a local walk-in clinic in Yuma AZ or El Centro CA as you do not have a local primary care doctor.

In Mexico from the research I just did it was approved for use in January of 2022 but obtaining it requires a prescription meaning you would need to make a visit to a Mexican Medical Clinic. It is not being dispensed as an OTC medication in Mexico. The Mexican government is having to underwrite the high cost of Paxlovid for its citizens and you are not a citizen of Mexico so you are out of luck on reasonable costs. If you found some on the black market in Yuma it is unlikely it would be the real thing if you did find some.

Hopefully you will get well soon and feel better by Van Aid time.

Last edited:
Yep, go in a Prompt Care or an ER, get checked over and ask for a prescription for Paxlovid.

About a year ago, that’s what I did on day 3 of symptoms.

Paxlovid knocked it out quickly, but don’t dally because too far into your illness it is not effective.

It is possible your PCP would send a prescription to your local pharmacy, you could then have it transferred to a pharmacy near you. I do this with prescriptions all over the country.

Your PCP may not want to prescribe without seeing you, tho.

Good luck.

Yep, go in a Prompt Care or an ER, get checked over and ask for a prescription for Paxlovid.

About a year ago, that’s what I did on day 3 of symptoms.

Paxlovid knocked it out quickly, but don’t dally because too far into your illness it is not effective.

It is possible your PCP would send a prescription to your local pharmacy, you could then have it transferred to a pharmacy near you. I do this with prescriptions all over the country.

Your PCP may not want to prescribe without seeing you, tho.

Good luck.
You're right . This article from Yale says it isn't effective more than 5 days after symptoms appear .

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/13-things-to-know-paxlovid-covid-19

Welcome to a new season of "Fun in the Sun" in the Arizona Desert

Of course Pirate Camp is in its usual home in the LTVA South in Quartzsite Arizona

Had my first all-day service.......a poorly installed Diesel Heater.......and it STILL needs work.....waiting on parts

This year problems center around POWER STATIONS............Folks have BIG power banks and they can't utilize the power like they want...............

Bluetti ciggy plug is limited to about 10 amps....................Chinese Diesel Heaters NEED 12 amps

SOLUTION is add a 120 volt brick that can provide 12v +12amps.....................CON: inverter losses

again using Bluetti ciggy plug for Refrigerator.............Once the reefer reaches temp and cycles Off....... the Bluetti shuts OFF and requires a PUSH to start

SOLUTION is to use the 120v brick and power the frig from the Bluetti inverter...............CON: same inverter loss

BEN........Jason and Brian arrive soon for Christmas...maybe a dozen rigs in camp by then....Ham and Fixins are planned for the Day

AND it looks like the BLM is making waves.....harassing HOWA Caravans about "Planned Events" on public land
Is private camp still ongoing at LTVA? I am coming into Quartzsite tonight.

One of the issues with Paxlovid is that you might not even realize you have Covid those first few days and the home test might also not give a valid return those first few days. So by the time you get around to obtaining and taking Paxlovid it might already have passed its effective window.

I was already prepared with alternative medication to take by my primary doctor that I took as soon as the first symptoms hit. I knew immediately within an hour of the first strong symptoms that it did not resemble any cold or other virus I have ever had. So I opened my first aid box and started on the meds I was told to immediately take if the symptoms showed up. Then after waiting three days I home tested and I did test strongly positive. There was no point in my going to a clinic then as I could tell the medication I was taking was working to get my lungs clear and the rest of the issues were easing up. But about a week after the first symptoms started I did lose my sense of taste for over a month before it started to come back. That is a very common with Covid. Do not let it worry you too much if you too lose it, it takes a while to return and does that slowly, not all at once.

Last edited:
One of the issues with Paxlovid is that you might not even realize you have Covid those first few days and the home test might also not give a valid return those first few days. So by the time you get around to obtaining and taking Paxlovid it might already have passed its effective window.

I was already prepared with alternative medication to take by my primary doctor that I took as soon as the first symptoms hit. I knew immediately within an hour of the first strong symptoms that it did not resemble any cold or other virus I have ever had. So I opened my first aid box and started on the meds I was told to immediately take if the symptoms showed up. Then after waiting three days I home tested and I did test strongly positive. There was no point in my going to a clinic then as I could tell the medication I was taking was working to get my lungs clear and the rest of the issues were easing up. But about a week after the first symptoms started I did lose my sense of taste for over a month before it started to come back. That is a very common with Covid. Do not let it worry you too much if you too lose it, it takes a while to return and does that slowly, not all at once.
I am curious what your "alternate" medication is?

I am curious what your "alternate" medication is?
The one my GP prescribed for me because I have bronchial damage and I am in my mid 70s which puts me into a high risk category for any respiratory virus. If you are in that category talk to your doctor. What I took is not something everyone should take.

Hey Kids!!

Don’t know if this will work in your situation but we live in a small town in AR. so we know our pharmacist. We were on vacation in MN and needed a new script, called our GP she sent to our pharmacist and he forwarded it to a pharmacy in MN.
Best wishes

Hey Kids!!

Guess who has COVID.... managed to avoid it for almost 4 years..... and a buffet did me in.....

Dang...

Yeah I've avoided it also but we just never know.

What were your first symptoms? This always seems like a moving target but just curious.

Sure hoping you can get the meds you need out there.

The one my GP prescribed for me because I have bronchial damage and I am in my mid 70s which puts me into a high risk category for any respiratory virus. If you are in that category talk to your doctor. What I took is not something everyone should take.
I understand why you might not want to recommend any medical solution. I am in my late 70s and have had the sniffles the last few days. Recently my daughter came down with Covid. I did a home test which came up negative. But I was curious to see if there were any OTC ideas in case this gets worse, and I have my usual problems getting a speedy DR appt.

One concern is that Covid treatments work better (or maybe only work at all?) if they are started early.
I've read that the home tests have a higher "false negative" rate than the "molecular" test you would get at a lab. If you're really concerned, you might check the CDC's locator to see if there's a free location near you for those higher-quality tests. (And I don't know how to decide if you should be "really concerned" -- this issue has obviously evolved since the days when we were devouring every bit of new info about it.)
If you're vaccined up, then your chances of getting through a bout with minimal symptoms are higher.
Then again at our age, we should be a bit careful.
Since a lot of public health services, including Covid services, are local, you could try calling your local 211 to see if some local office is offering up-to-date advice or help.
I haven't personally had good experiences with commercial-type walk-in/urgent-care clinics, but in a pinch that would be better than nothing. Also, if your DR knows that it's Covid related, might they see you more quickly?
^^
random spaghetti-at-the-wall ideas

What were your first symptoms?
That overall feeling when a flu starts to hit... sensitive skin.. a bit achy and a headache. ther next day was feverish and more of the same... on day 3 of fever and sniffles/sneezing...

We need to Welcome PATTYSPRINTER to Pirate Camp.............She drives a Promaster

Boys and Girls this rig has some fine goodies................

A Dickinson Propane wall furnace

A hydronic heat exchanger for Hot Water..........from the engine coolant

And a commercially available real shower/pan shower........all plumbed and Magnetic-attached shower curtain

and then finally it's got the BIGGEST Bluetti System I've ever seen

WELCOME Patty and your "cuddly" dog Dobby, too

I stopped in yesterday to meet “PattiesSprinter. A nice woman who has a young dog that has had very little contact with strangers. The dog is not yet sure about Vanlife and may have initial anxiety for “stranger danger” so totally ignore the dog until it gets used to your smell and presence and has relaxed before you greet the dog.

She definetly needs Doug’s help in installing the nice, new , customized cabinets she has purchased. They are made by a company that designs, fabricated and sells cabinets for her specific van model. I wonder if that company has provided instructions on how best to attach them to the structure? They must have some methods thought out and measurements available as it relates to the van’s structure, or a need to add battens to attach it to as it is their own design. It is not that it can’t be figured out but it sure saves time and errors when a person is given such instructions to look at. I suspect those installation instructions and measurements do exist somewhere on the company website or even YouTube …if she was not given a printed version.

But back to my own projects. I am sewing today, I am ready to make the rainfly for my popup screen room and begin making some modifications to the side wind/rain panels. I am still lacking the zippers I need to secure the wind panels to each other. But I will reorder them today. The first attempt at getting the 72” long zippers failed on delivery and I just got refunded so I will try again using a different source.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.