PIRATE CAMP '24-25....................Desert SouthWest

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abnorm

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Friends..............(something besides Politics)

Well it's time for another season of "Pirate Camp"....we'll soon be in Pahrump NV....Oct 2024....Ready to assist fellow Nomads

For those that don't know.....Paulette and I travel the West as Fulltimers in a large Ford Van.....We're OLD !
......I'm a skilled craftsman and carry a huge collection of tools and supplies for my projects......

Woodwork, Electric, Solar.......We camp with FRIENDS in and around Quartzsite AZ for the Winter and OFFER HELP to any one who needs.........The Work is FREE the Supplies are Not...........

We call it
PIRATE CAMP.....Come camp with us........post a question here......or start a conversation (PM).

So for now we're in a traveling mode to Pahrump.......starting outside Klamath Falls Oregon.....Tomorrow we'll "Dump & Trash" Then to town to shop and resupply...........And 100 miles to Adin, CA to a quiet Free Forest Service campground offering no amenities.....We like it and will stay a few days

OMG..........Paulette has been Crocheting amazing blankets all summer long..........the Attic is full! She's talking about making "Doggie Sweaters" and Blankets this season.......Size ?.......

Arrrrrrrrrrrghhh......................................

Last edited:
See you in Quartzsite at Pirate Camp!

So Doug… I saw a proposal from BLM that they want to raise the cost to $600 per year. They are looking for feedback until sometime in October. Out of the Yuma field office. I thought they were talking like $320… but 600? Yikes!
I hope to be around end of November…
Just me… Kira is no more…
Sorry to hear about Kira, she will be missed.

Hi Friends..............(something besides Politics)

Well it's time for another season of "Pirate Camp"....we'll soon be in Pahrump NV....Oct 2024....Ready to assist fellow Nomads

For those that don't know.....Paulette and I travel the West as Fulltimers in a large Ford Van.....We're OLD !
......I'm a skilled craftsman and carry a huge collection of tools and supplies for my projects......

Woodwork, Electric, Solar.......We camp with FRIENDS in and around Quartzsite AZ for the Winter and OFFER HELP to any one who needs.........The Work is FREE the Supplies are Not...........

We call it
PIRATE CAMP.....Come camp with us........post a question here......or start a conversation (PM).

So for now we're in a traveling mode to Pahrump.......starting outside Klamath Falls Oregon.....Tomorrow we'll "Dump & Trash" Then to town to shop and resupply...........And 100 miles to Adin, CA to a quiet Free Forest Service campground offering no amenities.....We like it and will stay a few days

OMG..........Paulette has been Crocheting amazing blankets all summer long..........the Attic is full! She's talking about making "Doggie Sweaters" and Blankets this season.......Size ?.......

Arrrrrrrrrrrghhh......................................
Would like to catch up with you this winter at some point. I am a finish carpenter and cabinet builder looking to start the nomadic life. Trying to downsize my tools so that I don’t need a semi tractor to pull a trailer. Toughest part yet. Thank you for what you do to help people

Would like to catch up with you this winter at some point. I am a finish carpenter and cabinet builder looking to start the nomadic life. Trying to downsize my tools so that I don’t need a semi tractor to pull a trailer. Toughest part yet. Thank you for what you do to help people
I can totally relate to that downsizing being tough. I surely do miss my workshop space where everything was arranged for instant gratification! No time consuming labor for dragging tools out of storage and putting them back. No delays from wind, rain, too hot or too cold days. Plus the convenience of great stores for lumber, hardware, adhesives and paints! Also power and an air compressor without needing a generator! Oh well those days are over.

There is a maker space in Flagstaff, AZ that is nomad friendly! A decently equipped wood and metal fabrication space for a fee of $50 a month with 24/7 access. Unfortunately no overnight camping in town unless you have the ability to be very stealthy.

I'll be in Quartzsite full time after November 1 at the rv park. I'll come out and party with folks.

^ and you'll be welcome Pirate Paula !

Dang.....Sunday morning shows a new Davis FIRE near Reno......395 closed........Directly in our path of travel !

DETOUR ?

Last edited:
Detours are one reason our homes have wheels, detours of the road or life.

^ and you'll be welcome Pirate Paula !

Dang.....Sunday morning shows a new Davis FIRE near Reno......395 closed........Directly in our path of travel !

DETOUR ?
No hurry for getting to Pahrump, it is a triple digit high temp there today! I remember when I went there for the HOWA caravan in October of 2021 there were a couple of 90 degree days. I hung around there until just after Thanksgiving.

I can totally relate to that downsizing being tough. I surely do miss my workshop space where everything was arranged for instant gratification! No time consuming labor for dragging tools out of storage and putting them back. No delays from wind, rain, too hot or too cold days. Plus the convenience of great stores for lumber, hardware, adhesives and paints! Also power and an air compressor without needing a generator! Oh well those days are over.

There is a maker space in Flagstaff, AZ that is nomad friendly! A decently equipped wood and metal fabrication space for a fee of $50 a month with 24/7 access. Unfortunately no overnight camping in town unless you have the ability to be very stealthy.

There is a spot roughly 10 miles west of Flagstaff (exit 185 off of I-40 West, look for signs for the Pilot truck stop) on Forest Service Road 9229E. So not really too far from the mentioned maker space (which I plan to check out soon now that I know about it).

It's a few hundred yards from a National Forest camping area and I have yet to see a ranger out here in the two years I've been coming here. Also has good 5G cell service, though cell service within the actual NF Camping area is spotty at best...I suppose it's all the trees or something.

I can send a map pin.

There is a spot roughly 10 miles west of Flagstaff (exit 185 off of I-40 West, look for signs for the Pilot truck stop) on Forest Service Road 9229E. So not really too far from the mentioned maker space (which I plan to check out soon now that I know about it).

It's a few hundred yards from a National Forest camping area and I have yet to see a ranger out here in the two years I've been coming here. Also has good 5G cell service, though cell service within the actual NF Camping area is spotty at best...I suppose it's all the trees or something.

I can send a map pin.
MarkE, that area is called by nomads as “Bellemont” that is the name of the exit and the community that is located at that exit.I do not need that pin drop. I am already camped there. The 5G signal at the start of FS 71 which is the main road most of the camping is on. Further along that road the 5G signal drops out. Also in the summer months much like what happens in Quartzsite while the signal is strong enough to get at least a couple of bars it does not give you enough speed to be useable. There is now a huge “camping resort” at the start of that forest service road with tons of RVs and Tiny Houses. So in summer that cell tower is now jammed up with lots of users. One of these days I will upgrade to a 5g phone… when my current phone dies.

Last edited:
MarkE, that area is called by nomads as “Bellemont” that is the name of the exit and the community that is located at that exit.I do not need that pin drop. I am already camped there. The 5G signal at the start of FS 71 which is the main road most of the camping is on. Further along that road the 5G signal drops out. Also in the summer months much like what happens in Quartzsite while the signal is strong enough to get at least a couple of bars it does not give you enough speed to be useable. There is now a huge “camping resort” at the start of that forest service road with tons of RVs and Tiny Houses. So in summer that cell tower is now jammed up with lots of users. One of these days I will upgrade to a 5g phone… when my current phone dies.
You must be in the actual forest area because I don't see you.

I'm in the big field between the forest area and the Pilot.

You must be in the actual forest area because I don't see you.

I'm in the big field between the forest area and the Pilot.
I am further along FR 71. I did not want to be in that congested with other campers area you are in. I am heading out tomorrow for camping by Tusayan and I am too busy today to visit as I have an Etsy order to get cut and packaged and I am packing up of my stuff to secure it for travel.
Tusayan weather report, 5 degrees warmer than Bellemont and drier.
IMG_1790.jpeg

I am further along FR 71. I did not want to be in that congested with other campers area you are in. I am heading out tomorrow for camping by Tusayan and I am too busy today to visit as I have an Etsy order to get cut and packaged and I am packing up of my stuff to secure it for travel.
Tusayan weather report, 5 degrees warmer than Bellemont and drier.
View attachment 36329

No worries. See you in Quartzsite :)

We knew we had rain predicted............Packed up camp for tomorrow's moving day..........the Ranger came by to remind me of the 14 day Annual Limit at this campsite !............We move a whooping 25 miles down the road .........Just the Generator and Starlink OUTSIDE

And the Rain arrived followed by the Cold...............39° tonight.............Come-on-Mr.BUDDY !

We knew we had rain predicted............Packed up camp for tomorrow's moving day..........the Ranger came by to remind me of the 14 day Annual Limit at this campsite !............We move a whooping 25 miles down the road .........Just the Generator and Starlink OUTSIDE

And the Rain arrived followed by the Cold...............39° tonight.............Come-on-Mr.BUDDY !
14 day annual limit? Sheesh.

My Starlink arrived today, I figure I'll set it up in a couple of weeks so the monthly charge is after the 3rd.

Stay Warm, you guys.

My Starlink arrived today, I figure I'll set it up in a couple of weeks so the monthly charge is after the 3rd.

Stay Warm, you guys.
There is a 15 day annual limit stay on the Arizona State Trust Lands. It is a $15.00 annual fee. But many people ignore that limit…,

Have fun with your Starlink!

My Starlink arrived today, I figure I'll set it up in a couple of weeks so the monthly charge is after the 3rd

YES................. the Modoc Forest was challenged by a Rainbow Family Gathering earlier this year...........They made each campground a 14 day annual limit as well as limiting dispersed camping

Mark.......WHAT Starlink product did you purchase ?

We're at a wonderful small 8 spot FS campground......Still in MODOC........Willow Creek Campground...............Two pair of vault toilets inside the camp...........Another pair of vaults at the day-use area upfront.........All CLEAN freshly painted and epoxy floors..........Water & Trash cans ! It's Cold at nite...........warm days !

We found #1 site gets a little Sun and clear sky for Starlink.............$15 / $7.50 with pass............We're staying 4 days

Aaaaarrrrrgh

Last edited: