Pee Pee Width.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canine

Reaction score
What is it with RV designers and itty bitty toilet areas?  Seriously, Tinker Bell doesn't have enough room to do her business in most RV johns.  So irritating. So I actually sat and measured the comfortable width between my knees as I was doing the deed and it's about 34 inches. My daughter walked in, (kids!) and laughed at me then quickly retreated from my toilet design research center. What can I say? .... Momma's gotta have clean crotch friendly camper! LOL

Anyway.... Does that seem normal? The width I mean, not me. I already know I"m not normal. LOL 

Dear RV designers, get with the damn program!... turning toilets sideways isn't the answer. No one wants to have to go all  [font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]Cirque du[/font][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif] Soleil just to take a whiz!  [/font]

RV / travel trailer toilets are rarely designed for actual use, that's one of the reasons I got the one I did, half the back of the trailer is the bathroom, and you don't even touch the tub lightly with your knee when sitting
I have no idea how wide my knees are when on the pot, and it probably wouldn't count because I'm not a gal lol

Hopeful, you can buy a bidet for about $25-$30 on Amazon and then install it. Only thing to wipe then is a bit of clean water. Once you get one you'll never go back. Nothing like staying clean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For most people "Pee Pee Width" should remain classified information....only for certain eyes.

My understanding of the building code would be 30 or 32" width for a toilet and 21" clear space from the front.

At 32" with a huge toilet paper dispenser cuts out my knee room.

They must be designed by men, who only sit down occasionally. For us gals (some of us anyway), that width is important when trying to stay clean.

If we ever get another Class B, I'll do a bucket set up in the hallway and us the toilet for disposal... the one in our old Roadtrek allowed for doing the business, but not for wiping very well at all. I will say my 100 lb honey had minimal issues, so it may be only "substantial" women who are impacted.

This is one of the reasons I like the bathroom in my 5W...enough room between the toilet and the tub to sit properly and not have my knees touching anything...of course I'm short so it maybe not be the case with someone over 5'7"

That's why I'm not a fan of the small trailers like Casita. Sure they manage to fit in everything a big trailer has, but in diminutive size - tiny dinettes that I could barely squeeze into, little showers that you can't bend down to wash your feet and jammed in toilets. I'd rather give up the shower and toilet in favor of having more room to stretch out. Building a shower into my trailer was a huge waste of space.

Believe me, cramped facilities impact men too. As I am "bigger than the average bear", I find most RV toilets to be too tight. My old body isn't up to contortion acts just to get 'relief'. Ditto with many RV showers, and even beds.
I certainly cannot afford the level of RVs that have larger facilities.
So, designing our own is the way to go.
While I was working, just before retirement, I checked a few bathrooms in my building, measuring stall door widths, stall width and length, etc, all with an eye towards constructing the facility in an RV or boxtruck eventually. At the moment though, for my van, I just use a 5 gallon bucket suitably equipped. Myvweight negates sitting on the bucket, so have perfected the technique of "hovering".
We do what we have to.....

I toured a Winnebago Paseo Class B at the rv show earlier this month and loved the bathroom setup. It's located behind the drivers seat and I actually fit comfortably. I'm 6'4" tall and 275lbs so comfort in the "throne room" is one of the first things I look at in any rv. It had enough room for me to both shower and do my business. I took a brochure to keep that bathroom design in mind when I eventually get to buy my van and do a build. 

https://winnebagoind.com/products/class-b/2017/paseo/overview

Rv's are like a magic trick selling you an illusion. (The illusion it's your house on wheels and that you're family of six can actually sleep in the thing and eat dinners together) As statistically speaking most are never used for more than a few weeks or weekends every summer anyways. So the lacking of quality and function never comes back to bite the RV manufacturers in the ass. Thus when people use them more frequently or for full time use, they either buy very expensive ones built for that very purpose or they modify the one they have to better meet their personal needs.

I have a 27' travel trailer and the bathroom is absolutely useless if you're over 13 or 100lbs.

My motorhome has double-doors on the bathroom. I always keep one door open when using it, and the second when showering or dressing. The closet is on the other side of the hall, making a dressing room when the doors are open.

Get one of those water bottle container crates, like a milk crate but taller and already reinforced with metal in the top. A 5 gallon bucket fits right inside but sits a couple inches higher, almost indestructible!

Like most products RVs are designed to make the sale.  If they happen to be fit for a particular purpose that's a bonus that might bring repeat business, in the future, not this month, not this quarter.

I am not a tiny person, 5'11" and 200+ lbs. I am the exception where I actually WANT a wetbath so I can sit down when showering (leg shaving, etc.). I hate the shower stalls with the plastic floor that "gives" and bends when you stand in it because I'm afraid it's going to crack. Wetbaths seem to have a more solid floor, and with a few exceptions more elbow room. The few exceptions include the T@B models where my shoulders touch the walls, and some class B's. The Casita bath seems more roomy to me than some class B's. But my desired truck camper has no bathroom at all, so I'm looking at the bucket setup vs. porta potties vs. suitcase type toilets, Turbo toilets (kinda short for someone my height), and some other options. It has to be stored away when not in use so leaning towards something that folds up. Mainly for night time use. Having knee room is important for ladies!

I agree they are small, but if you want a small trailer then that's just how it is. As long as its big enough for me to do my thing then I'd rather have more living area. I'm only in the bathroom a couple times a day for a couple minutes each time. I'm not taking showers daily and maybe using other facilities when camped.

Several years back I took a tour of the Western National Parks on a Green Tortoise Bus, http://www.greentortoise.com/adventure.travel.html

There was no bathroom, and if the bus was traveling at night, it did not stop for pee brakes. In the area to the right of the driver where you enter the bus was a plastic funnel with a hose attached. Lets just say as a mechanic, I would not want to have to work on the right underside of the bus. The ladies used it standing up without problems.

I think there are attachments for females that work in the same way.