Past Memories Renewal

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomGeiger

Reaction score
The year 1977.  
The Event: Transcontinental Bicycle Trip.
Starting Point: Lancaster, PA
Destination:  California
Route Planning: None
Time Established to Complete Trip: None
Primary Route Determining Factor: Wind.
Start Date: August 16, 1977
Completed:  October 30, 1977
Longest day ride: 130 miles

This 10 week trip across the USA awakened in me an understanding of the beauty of a slowly changing landscape.  Detail and color contrast as the sun crawls overhead.  The trip cost was primarily that of time and energy expended.  It opened my eyes to that which is possible to those who just go and do.  

What happened?  
College and then 30 years of corporate life.  Plush international incentive trip rewards with great detail given to making sure everything was just so.  Nothing but the best!  All the while thru the years a quiet voice tried to get my attention.  
Then I stumbled across a Utube clip of Bob Wells and suddenly I heard my quiet voice stir and I remembered the joy I experienced those many years ago.

Next steps?  Not sure.  
I’ll keep you posted as I evaluate options to reconnect.   Spouse of 35 years just looked at me when I expressed an interest in becoming a nomad.  Entire thought of experiencing MORE with LESS is foreign.  
I’m strapping in...I could be in for a rough ride.
Cheers!
Tg

Welcome Tom to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Still in Lancaster? Mail me a shoofly pie?

:)

(I grew up in the Lehigh Valley.)

No longer in Lancaster but have consumed my share of pie during the first 18 yrs of my life. Got one recently at market during recent visit...not quite as I remember. Was terrible.
So are you living FT in your RV?

When I broke my back 10.5 years ago at 49 I could ride a centuty(100 miles)anyday, bench 400#, leg press 650# & joked about retiring at 50 so be careful what you loke about as now a can barely walk. Never miss or put off an adventure & get long term disability insurence. I had a blast, flying prewar planes, skydiving, motocross, scuba,etc. It all started on a bike on Memorial day I couln't ride 1/4 mile without stopping, I rode 4500 miles that year & rode "The Iceman Cometh" I'm not bragging or ccomplaining just saying do it now while you can whatever it is.

worst is you will have to deal with the wife :) if she is not on board, maybe you guys can come to some agreement where you take off for X amt of time and fill your needs and she is cool with it.

best of luck finding your new way

what we loved younger, we give up for career, home, kids and 'stuff' and then we need to shed that life and get back to what is so important to most of us....freedom. hold strong and hope it all goes well for you!!

TomGeiger said:
So are you living FT in your RV?

I'm in a van. Four years on the road.  I go north in summer and south in winter.  :)

I do go back to PA once each year for inspections.

So what’s your story?
How old are you and what prompted your decision to hit the road in your van?
I’m seriously considering making some big decisions which will be very disruptive.

RoamerRV428 said:
worst is you will have to deal with the wife :)  if she is not on board, maybe you guys can come to some agreement where you take off for X amt of time and fill your needs and she is cool with it.

best of luck finding your new way

what we loved younger, we give up for career, home, kids and 'stuff' and then we need to shed that life and get back to what is so important to most of us....freedom.   hold strong and hope it all goes well for you!!
You are correct.  Spouse will be major hurdle.  I wonder how many marriages explode during these decisions?  Those on outside will view decision as someone who must of had mental issues.  Needs medicine, etc.

it is all about what you want. I mean it doesn't come down to anything more than that, what does one want more in life and to what extent are you willing to change your life to make your desires happen?

marriages explode all the time for many reasons. Financial decisions can rule your life literally unless one makes a true effort to change their thinking and your spending and more. Family decisions change as other's change and grow around you......so yea, it is hard, no doubt about that if you are tackling a real tough crossroads in your life, but it is just up to that person. That individual and do what works for them. I guess that is best any one of us can do in this lifetime. It is hard for many out there wanting their dreams but also wanting to stay with spouses or handling medical troubles with them and feeling trapped, but still a good trapped in a way cause they choose to stay.

This is where one has to do what one must do for their own mental clarity of how they want to live their years I guess.

I used to be in the lumber/ buildin material business & you'd be suprised how many marriages ended building a new home. Doesn't take much stress sometimes.

Yep. Stress will kill marriages, health , etc.
i’m Thinking of buying short Class B...
Give her everything and just walking away. Nobody will understand.
My only concern is that I really haven’t been in a class B or on the road in 40 yrs! I might encounter stuff that will make me doubt entire decision. Probably difficult to tuck tail and return. Need a way to go thru a kind of dry run to get a taste of what it would be really like.
Wonder if anyone out there in a class B would let me tag along for a couple months so I can get a real life first hand experience. I’d pay them so it would help with their expenses...
Got a lot of ideas bouncing around.
Got RA/PsA so that’s in the back of my mind.
Thanks for response...insight.
Hope you are healthy and enjoying life.
Cheers,
Tg

Why not ease into the van life? Some camping trips. Visit some attractions? Maybe swmbo will like camping?

Sorry HDR; she who must be obeyed.

Sorry CRVl; high desert ranger.

Sorry cyndi; cheap recreational vehicle living.

Nobody will understand your decisions if they are drastic like you are thinking....giving her it all and walking away (be sure to keep a decent amt of cash from this walking away for yourself tho :))

thing is what other's think about your situation doesn't matter. it is between you and her and how you guys can handle these changes....other's thoughts are fluff at this point....so forget that part of it if ya can.

I would recommend talking to her real in depth....tell her you want like 2 months on the road......GO RENT a Class B and hit the road. Enjoy it, learn it, see if it fits you...…..if you talk to her as a true adult and with true feelings, maybe you can plan up a 2 month AWAY time on your own. Hit the road in your rented Class B. See what it is like to be a solitary traveler.

I wouldn't jump too fast :) Grass is not always greener. Maybe something like 2 months on the road.....come home for 2 months with your spouse and leave again......WHO KNOWS what arrangement you guys can work out to make it all great for you guys? There are tons of ways marriages work :) Nothing is bottling you in at all, you guys can make it work any way you want.

It is all about you 2. How to make it work, maybe it is time to separate? Who knows.....nothing has to be in black....you can arrange it all how you 2 want to arrange it. Just take some time and think it thru and chat up with her and who knows.....this ALL could work out into a new form of relationship for ya.