Part-timer: is solar really best?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Byrd2001

Reaction score
Anticipate part-time nomad initially due to family obligations. So wonder: what do I do with solar panels/batteries when I'm not on road and in my sticks and brick? Thinking I should start out with generator, but appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!!

It keeps your batteries healthy. You going to idle a generator 12hrs a day on road and 2-3 times a week for an hour off?

Byrd2001 said:
Anticipate part-time nomad initially due to family obligations. So wonder: what do I do with solar panels/batteries when I'm not on road and in my sticks and brick? Thinking I should start out with generator, but appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!!

If your fixed solar setup is outside when at home it should keep the batteries full and happy (might have to clean them periodically).  If camper is inside or you have portable panels, put a battery tender on them. My batteries are inside on a battery tender this winter.  Last winter they did fine on solar power outside.

Generator power is expensive.  You will pay almost as much for a generator as solar for a small system.  Generators tend to annoy other campers, so you should be camping out of sound  of other campers or among others using generators.

If you give more information on how long you are out and what you need to power we could give a better answer.

-- Spiff

Byrd2001 said:

First question is: What do you need to power?

Part-timer means many things to different people. Some think of it as a couple of weekends a month during the summer. Others are 'part-timers' because they only do this for 3 to 6 months during the winter season.

Each will have different needs and solar set ups may be either needed or superfluous depending on their electrical needs and camping patterns.

First thing to assess is what electrical needs you  have while out there and then establish usage patterns (months at a time or a weekend or two).

Only then can it be figured out if you would even benefit from a solar system.

For me my system is generator based. The cost of solar to run anything heavy like a microwave or air conditioner is just way too expensive. I might get solar eventually, but the generator will still be there as well.

you still need something to top off batteries if you run AC. The most common and practical solution is a generator and solar combo.

AC, Microwave  Might as well stay home watching Nat Geo on a big screen, or drive a 40 ft class A.  ;)

Solar is nice and quiet.  No filling and draining the gas tank.  Paying for servive at the start of the season from deteriated fuel. Fighting the carburator, Chainging the oil.  Coming back from a walk, and seeing an open space where the geny used to be.   :huh:

It takes a little work and brain power to set it up, but once done.  ~~~ Every so often you need to wash the panels and check the batteries.  :cool:

I would say YES!   :D Definately worth it.

Spaceman Spiff said:
If camper is inside or you have portable panels, put a battery tender on them. 

Or just set the portable panel up outside and run the cable to the vehicle.

MrNoodly said:
Or just set the portable panel up outside and run the cable to the vehicle.

If one isn't concerned about theft.  If you have a south facing window you could put a panel behind it.  Although you will loose significant output, all you are looking for is a trickle charge.

-- Spiff

GotSmart said:
AC, Microwave  Might as well stay home watching Nat Geo on a big screen, or drive a 40 ft class A.  ;)

So.  I'm guessing you wear a hair shirt while you travel?

Optimistic Paranoid said:
So.  I'm guessing you wear a hair shirt while you travel?

As hairy as a NASCAR fan.  I ride my dinosaur and carry a club.

Thanks for ideas!! Certainly extended periods (weeks), but have obligations that will bring me back to home base for a week...then back out again. Probably home longer during Christmas holiday. I'm not the high energy user at all, so I though solar good choice. BUT, wasn't sure what to do when home based. Portable recommendation makes sense, then trickle charge when home. Again, THANKS