Parks volunteer - I never actually picked this place. It just ended up that way.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
travelaround said:
Phantom Ranch cabins - that would be worth another hike to the bottom of the canyon.

https://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/lodging/phantom-ranch/

I was last there in ... I think it was 1971. It took one day to hike down and two to hike back to the rim. It was January...

I was totally unprepared. A teenager!
Where did you sleep on the way back up?

The Dire Wolfess

This guy must be part of a wealthy family or had some other income.If he's not wealthy,what will he do when he's too old to work?I doubt he has worked enough to draw SS.

A lot of NPS enployees end up with no housing at the end of their careers and in today's market cann't afford it so they become nomads enjoying and volunteering at the places they used to work or ones they never got to go to.

Oh that's right, I forgot about Indian Garden! That's where I collected my kids about 20 years ago when we hiked Bright Angel as a family. They were 8 and 10. They ran down to the bottom and met us, groaning about our knees, at Indian Garden, lapped us, and by the time we made it back up they had already broken into the rented RV, made bologna sandwiches, and were somewhere in the forest with their bikes. My younger son had gone over his handlebars and broken his arm by the time we limped back to our site. Ah youth....

The Dire Wolfess