Paint for vehicle that helps with insulation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrsgapeach71

Reaction score
:huh: Help! I was watching one of the van life videos and they said something about a paint that helps with insulation. I think it was in a tan vehicle maybe an ambulance??? It looked like Bed liner paint for a truck but I’m looking for that specific brand name!!! Any info would be great!!!

I think the lighter (whiter) the paint, the less it would heat up in sunshine, but other than that, no idea... ;)

just do a web search on radiant heat reflective coatings

Lots of claims, but not a lot of substantial data.

So far there is no magic bullet automotive paint or house paint that is truly effective for the purpose. If there were every car maker out there would be offering that kind of vehicle paint. Plus every home in south and southwest would be coated with it.

Keep your money in your pocket, you won't be getting what you thought you paid for.

Hopefully someday they will come up with such a paint. When it happens you will see all the car manufacturers and commercial vehicles using it.

There is a ceramic infused paint used on school busses. Just plain white house paint on the roof works as well.

I know of one application on a school bus conversion. These "Ceramic beads" were sprinkled over wet paint on the roof surface before it dried. The idea is to scatter/ redirected the suns rays. I was skeptical but when measured with a Thermal heat sensor gun it did reduced the roof temp. I don't remember the actual numbers but for that large of a surface it was deemed worth the effort.

https://www.amazon.com/ThermaCels-Insulating-Additive-Gallon-Package/dp/B01AC5KRJ6

Personally there is too much stuff, solar, wire runs, vents and antenna on my roof to bother but, may work fine for the larger roof vehicles.

My white roof makes it 20 degrees colder inside.

Mrsgapeach71 said:
:huh: Help! I was watching one of the van life videos and they said something about a paint that helps with insulation. I think it was in a tan vehicle maybe an ambulance??? It looked like Bed liner paint for a truck but I’m looking for that specific brand name!!! Any info would be great!!!
Marketing. It won't help. There is no way for a thin coating to provide appreciable insulation.

White exterior paint will keep your van cooler when the sun hits it, and you need foam or batts to really insulate.

The only effect that a thin paint is going to have on a vehicle is light/heat reflection. Glossy white will help to bounce it off a bit, and matte black will absorb it.

I've always wondered what attaching a space blanket would do on a van roof.  Magnets to secure it.   As in, when needed.
If I could get a Mylar that is easily applied and cheap I would be tempted to try glueing it on.
 I suppose chrome paint would also work.  Hmmmm?

Reflected energy is cool energy.