Overnight parking at self-storage unit?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeilaLight

Reaction score
I did a search and couldn't find anything on this, so if it's been discussed before, I apologize.

I anticipate keeping a storage unit for a while and wonder if anyone has tried using parking at a self-storage unit for urban van-dwelling?  That is, if one is renting a storage unit, I wonder how hard it would be to use the public parking lot (outside the locked gate) to park overnight once or twice a week, rolling in late?  This would serve the secondary purpose of being close to the storage unit in the morning for getting stuff out for the day/week as needed.

The self-storage units in my area are often in commercial/industrial areas, and I plan to have a nondescript white cargo van, so it might not look out of place in such a location.

They record entry & exit times and have cameras all over.

A small % may not care, most forbid it.

John61CT said:
They record entry & exit times and have cameras all over.

A small % may not care, most forbid it.

Yeah, I'm not suggesting parking inside their locked gates (for the folks who rent parking for vehicles).  In my area, most have a small parking lot outside the locked gate for the general public to use, such as people considering renting from them, or renters who only rent units for stuff, not vehicles.  These are on their property (and I guess the cameras view the area), but they are not within the locked/gated area.  So it would be equivalent to parking in a commercial parking lot such as a big box store or something. I thought of it because if anyone asked, I could say I arrived early or needed to get to my stuff in my unit.

Sure same as any other private property.

Maybe if rotating very infrequently, but much more likely private security will move you on than cops out in public spaces.

Often storage places have an on site apartment for the people who work there, so there is a person who can keep an eye on things. Your being parked there could be a red flag as these places have issues with theft, they might think that you are casing the place.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk