Oven - Dutch or Solar?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sl1966

Reaction score
I've got a 12 quart dutch oven. I got it when I used to go camping with large groups. I love cooking with it, but am looking to downsize to a 4-6 quart one. This is going to serve as my portable stove since my trailer didn't come with one.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>Before I do I saw&nbsp;and read about the solar ones. Has anyone tried them? Are they worth the time/money?</div>

<font class="Apple-style-span" face="Verdana" size="4">good post. i have watched bob and heidi cook in bob's solar oven and tasted the great results. i'm not sure i want to commit to carrying something that big though. (of course in an astro, everything is big!)</font><div><font class="Apple-style-span" face="Verdana" size="4"><br></font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" face="Verdana" size="4">i have one of the small 2qt (8"diameter) camp dutch ovens (with legs) that i'm gonna always carry. it fits on top of my butane stove and holds a little biscuit pan. i can use it in a campfire, rain or shine.&nbsp;</font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" face="Verdana" size="4"><br></font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" face="Verdana" size="4">sure wish there was a small solar oven. guess i need to experiment with dashboard cooking....</font></div>

<div><a href="http://www.sunoven.com/" target="_blank">http://www.sunoven.com/</a></div><div><br></div>The solar oven I saw can fold flat for easy storage. This is kind of why I was considering getting one. I'm just not sure I want to give up what you can do with a dutch oven though.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div><br></div>

My Global Sun Oven is a big unit, but like sl1966 said, you can buy much smaller ones. In fact you can make one out of a cardboard box that works remarkably well. I love my GSO, it is amazing and wonderful to cook a super meal using nothing but the sun. If the question is do they work, go read my review on the site. They work incredibly well!!!!!! Of course they do have disadvantages. They only work on a sunny day and too much wind can greatly affect them. <br><br>Dutch ovens are wonderful but they do have disadvantages. They require quite a bit of fuel and time. I think clean-up is much harder. If you have room, make a cardbord box one and carry both for awhile and see which you like better. Bob<br><br>

<div>Why limit myself to one option when I can make the best of both worlds? I can take advantage of sunny days with the SO, and use the DO on overcast ones.</div><div><br></div><div>Cleaning the DO isn't too hard if you do it right after cooking. Boil some water in it and use a soft bristle brush to scrub. Empty the water, pat dry with a towel, smear oil inside, and then back on the coals for a minute or two. Done!</div><div><br></div><div>Granted the sun oven is far easier to clean, but then you still have to clean the pans/pots you cooked the food in.</div>

<font face="Arial">Cleaning nasty cast iron pans or cooked-on greasy pans:<br>A little oil and a handful of course sand. Use a plastic scrubby/scouring pad so it doesn't tear your hands up.<br>Add a little squirt of dish soap if you must.<br><br>Rinse with a squirt bottle of clean water or vinegar (vinegar kills bacteria and once dry, it leaves no taste)</font><br><br>

My big question is why the Global Sun Ovens COST so much?? On eBay with an included pan or two you're looking at like $280.00...I see much cheaper ones but then they usually are accompanied by bad reviews...any input on some of the cheaper ones and which ones anyone has tried?? Were results as good as the Global Sun Ovens?? Obviously, Bob has the right idea in making your own if you feel you can do justice to a home made one. I never see the Global variety at a deep discount ANYWHERE!<br>