Outdoor yoga/living area

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

43oswegatchie

Reaction score
I am looking to set up an outside area approx. 8x8 to do yoga, have a place to set up chairs and table, ect. I am tired of trying to do yoga on the ground, especially in the desert. Any ideas? I was thinking of putting down an 8x8 piece of plywood, an 8x8 piece of artificial grass carpet, then the yoga mats? Anyone else set up an area like this?

The only yoga classes I've attended have been at the gym, or the beach, or the lawn. In all of them, (not often) we never used more than a few inches longer than the mat. I am curious why you want such a large platform. I would probably use the interlocking mats you see for kids play areas. It is a thicker foam so it should cushion the desert floor and it is lightweight and easy to store.

My only thought about those platforms and matts and such was “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up”

43oswegatchie said:
I was thinking of putting down an 8x8 piece of plywood, an 8x8 piece of artificial grass carpet, then the yoga mats? Anyone else set up an area like this?

Most all of us don't have any place to store plywood - that would be 2 pieces of 4' x 8' plywood in a thickness strong enough to withstand rocks and other debris of the desert floor. Add in a big roll of artificial grass (probably 8' long by 1' diameter) and you've got a real storage dilemma going on.

I did see one person who, having chosen the best smoothest place to work out, carried a rake that could be used to further smooth out an area for comfort.

PODebbie said:
The only yoga classes I've attended have been at the gym, or the beach, or the lawn.  In all of them, (not often) we never used more than a few inches longer than the mat.  I am curious why you want such a large platform.  I would probably use the interlocking mats you see for kids play areas.  It is a thicker foam so it should cushion the desert floor and it is lightweight and easy to store.
We also want to use the area as a floor under a clam shelter. My partner is a massage therapist and wants a protected area to do them in.

Almost There said:
Most all of us don't have any place to store plywood - that would be 2 pieces of 4' x 8' plywood in a thickness strong enough to withstand rocks and other debris of the desert floor. Add in a big roll of artificial grass (probably 8' long by 1' diameter) and you've got a real storage dilemma going on.

I did see one person who, having chosen the best smoothest place to work out, carried a rake that could be used to further smooth out an area for comfort.
A problem for us too since we are in a truck camper. Maybe just a piece of plastic under the artificial grass. We just want to keep the dirt and dust off the area as much as possible. I know the grass is somewhat bulky. Trying to think of something more feasible that still works.

if you are on dirt/gravel I know of nothing that is going to keep it clean. it's inevitable as soon as you walk on the dirt and then back on your pad you will track dirt, small pebbles, organic matter like twigs, cactus needles, pine needles, and of course anything windborne will end up there too. if you want to keep it clean you are going to need a vacuum cleaner and use it often. highdesertranger

To have it feel and work like a solid floor, you would have to use 3/4 plywood at the very least, and I'd do it in 1-inch. The problem is that now you're getting into something of substantial weight. I do a lot of fiberglass repairs on sailboats, sailboat cabins are of a sandwich-type construction for rigidity and strength, and an idea came to mind. You could use 3/8 plywood and glass it to make it structurally rigid, but half or less than the weight of 1-inch plywood by itself. Make it into two, three, or four pieces, whatever works for storage and transport, and have it where it all pins to leveling blocks, also fiberglassed. The thought is it will never rot. As for as a cover, I'd look into these little tent-like covered portable awnings with the screened sides. This would be something easy to keep swept too. This is something you can do yourself, and I'd be happy to speck materials and do some dimensioned drawings if you'd like.

if you are traveling in a van purchase a flat bed trailer and build a fold out floor on top of it. That way you don't have to store anything and it will set up in a matter of minutes. You don't need plywood, you can purchase plastic materials that will work for the platform top.

Or you could do it the similar to some homes, a deck that is hinged one side of the vehicle. It folds up against the vehicle for travel. Release locking pins at the top, fold out the support legs then fold down the deck. No need for leveling the ground, you are up above the creepy ground dwellers such as scorpions and snakes. You can put cups with fluid in them under the legs to keep the ants off of it. You could even rig an awning with removable sides over the deck area for an enclosure. You can also outfit a cargo trailer to have a rear drop down platform. Some toy hauling trailers have those rear fold down decks as an option.

So think outside of the box you have now setup in your mind of a sheet of plywood you put on the ground. That is not your only option.

highdesertranger said:
if you are on dirt/gravel I know of nothing that is going to keep it clean.  it's inevitable as soon as you walk on the dirt and then back on your pad you will track dirt,  small pebbles,  organic matter like twigs,  cactus needles,  pine needles, and of course anything windborne will end up there too.  if you want to keep it clean you are going to need a vacuum cleaner and use it often.  highdesertranger
You are correct. After 2 winters down in the SW deserts, it is inevitable that dirt and dust get everywhere. I guess the key is minimizing it and yes, using a dirt devil or something similar quite often. Which my other half does!

Cajunwolf said:
To have it feel and work like a solid floor, you would have to use 3/4 plywood at the very least, and I'd do it in 1-inch. The problem is that now you're getting into something of substantial weight. I do a lot of fiberglass repairs on sailboats, sailboat cabins are of a sandwich-type construction for rigidity and strength, and an idea came to mind. You could use 3/8 plywood and glass it to make it structurally rigid, but half or less than the weight of 1-inch plywood by itself. Make it into two, three, or four pieces, whatever works for storage and transport, and have it where it all pins to leveling blocks, also fiberglassed. The thought is it will never rot. As for as a cover, I'd look into these little tent-like covered portable awnings with the screened sides. This would be something easy to keep swept too. This is something you can do yourself, and I'd be happy to speck materials and do some dimensioned drawings if you'd like.
Thanks for that info. Do you have any photos? Have you actually made something like that?

You should also do a search using the keywords "deck tiles". Those are typically sized at 12" x 12" and they interlock. But like most things out in the wild you will need to rake and level a surface to lay them down on. That means a shovel, rake and possibly a 24 to36' long scraper blade. That is fine if you are doing long stays but way to much work to do when setting up short stay camps of just a few days.

Don't forget you can't run a business on city, state and federal parks, lands or on private property unless you have purchased a business permit to do so. But it is the kind of thing you can possibly manage at various rallys and festivals that have vendors. There are lots of those events around the country.

UV seriously degrades Neoprene = won't last long when exposed to sunlight. highdesertranger

I have some for a floor in my shop to help cushion my feet, and an option of working on my knees without pain.

EVA foam is a much better choice than Neoprene foam. Lots of cushioned floor mats, yoga mats and camping bed mats are made with EVA foam. It is a closed cell foam.

EVA is an elastomeric polymer that produces materials which are "rubber-like" in softness and flexibility. The material has good clarity and gloss, low-temperature toughness, stress-crack resistance, hot-melt adhesive waterproof properties, and resistance to UV radiation