Oregon Coast Get Together on the Oregon Coast July 24 2018

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry guys, we are out!
We got stuck in CA in May with a tranny repair and now again in OR with another repair.
Finally on the road again, but we are heading to Seattle as soon as we can, because I need to head to my folks, to help my mum, who has to have surgery later this month.
Next time I guess???

I wish you all a great time!!
We are going to drive by Tillamook in a few days, but it's still going to be too early for the gathering!

LathrenJames said:
Anyone have any experience around Bend, Oregon. Hiking Camping; Paddling...?

Been through there many times, but only brief hiking just checking out the area while passing through.

LathrenJames said:

Yes, I lived there twice. Great town
, but honestly too far away from Tillamook to be a day trip. There is so much on the Oregon coast to see and do, I would highly recommend staying close by and exploring. Cannon Beach comes to mind first.

USExplorer said:
Will there be any of y'all gathering at the dispersed spots? Everything but the 15/night fee sounds amazing.

hi there Explorer, I would be interested in checking out the dispersed, even if it was for some of the stay. Depends on how far away and how easy to get to. Also, I need sun for solar so tree cover is important. Email me at [email protected] if you want to coordinate anything. I am in a Northstar popup truck camper, 4x4 GMC Sierra under it.

LathrenJames said:
I recently came back from a month camping in the area around Bend, Sisters, Redmond. There is a huge amount of BLM land east and west of Hwy 97 to the north of Bend, but most of it is blocked off by fences. There is a good BLM area a few miles west of Terrebonne on Lower Bridge Road, I would boondock there. I also stayed in NF pay campgrounds high up to the south of Sisters, and they are very nice. I did not like the ones north of Sisters as well, as they are buried in deep forest. There are also many nice campgrounds on Cascade Lakes hwy south of Mt Bachelor. 

If you go to the ends of the roads south of the town of Sisters, you can hike there. Hwy 242 was still closed when I was there, but there is nice hiking off the MacKenzie Lavafields, heading south towards the North Sister, but there is hiking everywheres in Oregon.
44.260128, -121.786972

tip, just because there is a fence on BLM or Forest Service land doesn't mean you can't access the land. just go through the gates and please leave the gates as you found them. if the gate is closed, close it behind you, if the gate is open leave it open unless the gate is next to a main highway then close it. if you are not supposed to use the road it will be clearly marked. my sister lives about 25 miles east of Bend and their property is surrounded by BLM. lots of nice camping spots. highdesertranger

We camped on the edge of the Badlands east of Bend numerous times. Lots of BLM, as you know off 20 and out towards Powell Butte too.

I drove all over the area north of Bend, and most of the BLM land was fenced off with very few gates one could drive through. Cline Falls Rd was total no-go, but Buckhorn Rd off Rte 126 was a possibility. I was looking for places more than just a pull off, and where one could stay for a few days. There were a couple of access points on Powell Butte Rd n.e. from Bend, but most of it was fenced off. I did not go out Hwy 20 to the east of Bend, but that looks better for BLM boondocking. Also east out Alfalfa Market Road, towards Rte 27 south of Prineville is a possibility. 

Besides actual campgrounds, there are many areas in the NF south of Sisters and Hwy 242 one can boondock, eg off of 3 Creek Lakes Rd. That road is paved, but there are numerous dirt roads coming off of it.  I believe that is where Bob Wells goes.

Thanks, everyone. I've been to Oregon but always wanted to go to the Bend area. I think I will. Cooler there than here.

Annie W said:
wonder how long it takes to drive there from out of state; Sounds soo Inviting...

Go to Google maps, enter the destination, click Directions, enter your starting point, and it will give you route options showing distance and time.

The Tillamook YMCA has day passes for $7 for those that want a hot shower, workout or swim in their pool.

Just an FYI for those looking for an alternative free camping spot in the Tillamook area.

There's a really nice highway rest area 5 miles south of Tillamook on Highway 101 called the "Tillamook River Rest Area".

I just got back from a 3 week road trip through the PNW, sleeping in, and living out of, my little van, and found that Oregon has some of the nicest rest areas I've ever seen.
Most, if not all, I found are staffed with volunteers who hand out free coffee, drinks and snacks to the public.
Many of the rest areas were park-like and really beautiful.

Oregon rest areas are great... There is a 12-hour stay limit. Overnight parking permitted; no camping.

The weather is wonderful on the Oregon Coast right now.  If you're in the area, come on by and say hello. And remember, the road to the Tillamook Airport is NOT the road to the RV park.  There is dispersed camping up the Trask River Road and lots to do in the area.

Glad the forum is back up. I just may stop by the get-together and see if there's room for me.

I literally JUST heard about it and I'm all in! I wont get there til late Tuesday (stupid job!), but I'd love to meet everyone and make friends!

Nelda said:
And remember, the road to the Tillamook Airport is NOT the road to the RV park.  There is dispersed camping up the Trask River Road and lots to do in the area.

So what road does go to the RV park?  Does the location have a street address?

Using just the name you posted earlier, gives only vague results on Google Maps.  :huh:

Here is a picture from last year looking outward from one of the camping spots ...

Attachments

• IMG_20170625_175611830.jpg
    IMG_20170625_175611830.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 5