Oregon Coast Get Together on the Oregon Coast July 24 2018

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BigT said:
So what road does go to the RV park?  Does the location have a street address?

Using just the name you posted earlier, gives only vague results on Google Maps.  :huh:

here is link for google map directions from tillamook to the campground

https://tinyurl.com/ydgq8r5k

name of the road to look for it "airport rd" also can turn on "matlock"

road is about 3 miles south of town. it is also about 1/4 mile north of the highway 101 rest stop

we have some fair clamming and mussel tides that week, all be it a bit early in the am for some. if anyone is interested i would be happy to lead/guide a little foray to gather some tasty seafood, and bring it back to camp to prepare and share. anyone is welcome to come along and learn, but if you want to harvest any you would need a shellfish license. they are not expensive and can be purchased there locally.

i also plan to bring a kayak or 2, if any others are interested we can do some paddling on tillamook bay or set up a shuttle and float a section of the trask river (very easy float)

not sure what rig i will be driving this year but if you start asking about kayaking or clams and mussels i am sure we will get connected

kenny

I'm going to be arriving early, like Sunday. Maybe even Saturday.

:(MrNoodly said:
I'm going to be arriving early, like Sunday. Maybe even Saturday.

:( Could not get the day off so I am arriving later - and tireder.  ~crofter

BTW what about the burn ban? Does this mean no campfire? 

From OPRD site "[font=franklin-gothic-urw,]July 20, 2018, update[/font]
[font=franklin-gothic-urw,]Campfires and open flames prohibited in Oregon State Parks[/font]
[font=franklin-gothic-urw,]SALEM, Ore. -- Oregon Parks and Recreation Department (OPRD) is prohibiting all campfires and open flames in all state park properties effective 10 a.m. today. The ban is in response to Gov. Brown’s declaration of a fire emergency. The campfire and open flame ban includes campgrounds, day-use areas, and all areas of the Ocean Shore and beaches managed by OPRD.[/font]
The fire ban applies to wood, charcoal, and other flame sources that cannot be turned off with a valve. Liquid fuel stoves or cooking devices that can be turned off with a valve are permitted, but cannot be left unattended. Propane fire pits are allowed in coastal parks and restricted in other areas."  https://oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=v.dsp_featureArticle&articleId=135

crofter said:
BTW what about the burn ban? Does this mean no campfire? 

From OPRD site "[font=franklin-gothic-urw,]July 20, 2018, update[/font]
[font=franklin-gothic-urw,]Campfires and open flames prohibited in Oregon State Parks[/font]
This isn't an Oregon State Park. It's operated by the Port of Tillamook.

QinReno said:
fire_season

We are staying in county parks, and the burn ban alert I found was for state parks. So maybe we can still have a campfire?  Question already answered thank you Mr Noodly!
Prob best not to depend on fire for cooking just in case further fire bans develop. 

You can tell I'm not there yet since I'm on here. ~crofter

i have not found the restriction level yet for the port of tillamook that controlls the campground. but just as an example that fires are allowed in some places, here are the fire restrictions for the siuslaw national forest as of the 20th and currently posted on their website

"Campfire Restrictions Enacted
Date(s): Jul 20, 2018

Forest officials are enacting fire restrictions within the forest, effective Friday, July 20. The restrictions prohibit fires outside of campfire rings in developed campgrounds and picnic areas. Liquid gas stoves and lanterns can still be used during the restrictions.

No campfires outside of designated campgrounds. Campfires in open sand when dispersed camping in the Oregon Dunes and Sand Lake Recreation Areas are allowed."

notice fires in designated fire rigns in developed campgrounds are permitted on forest service managed lands.

looks promising but still looking

also of note, there is nothing posted here at the campground. generally when they post fire bans they will put signs up at the campgrounds

here is a screen shot of the port of tillamook air port rv campground web page. they clearly mention the campfire rings and there are no fire restrictions posted for the campground 

this is the only portal to the campground i can find. if they had fire restrictions in place for the camp ground i would think this is where they would post them

[img=16x16]

here is the oregon department of forestry public fire restrictions for ODA lands in tillamook county. the ODA does not control or manage this campground so this does not apply to the campground but i post it to show that other agencys are allowing campfires in designated areas like campgrounds with provided fire rings

I'm in the Tillamook area and will stop in around the potluck. How will I know where the group is within the campground?

You'll probably be in a clump eating together. What if I get there earlier? Which loop?

There's just one road that loops around the field. If it's like last year almost everyone camping is part of the gathering. Look for a row of tables set up for the potluck. Have fun!

Jill said:
I'm in the Tillamook area and will stop in around the potluck. How will I know where the group is within the campground?
In general, anyone you find, just bring them along if they have beer. Of course, easy for me to say since I won't be there, :).

What I did want to say in follow up to earlier, there are probably a dozen different agencies that have control over different sections of land, so the fire restrictions will vary: US Dept Interior (Natl Parks, BLM land), US Dept Agriculture (Natl Forests,Oregon Dunes), State (State parks,misc), counties, municipalities, DOD, Dept of Energy, on and on. So when the Governor put restrictions on State Parks, that's probably all she has formal jurisdiction over.

Jill said:
How will I know where the group is within the campground?

With the exception of a couple of large RVs, it ALL the group. There's also a blue easy-up where folks have been spending parts of the day.

Brief report: We are having a good time, about 40 rigs. Great weather. Lots of laughter. But seriously missing you Tony and Karen!