OR - mining in eastern Oregon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highdesertranger

R.I.P HDR
Reaction score
as of today 6/27/20 I can host 1 maybe 2 vehicles.  you must be willing to lend a hand with my prospecting.  no I am not looking for slave labor it's shovel work but we only work a few hours a day doing that.  the rest of the day you can do what ever you want.  I am located in a small eastern Oregon town.  there is no 14 day limit as this is private property.  as of right now we can still have camp fires and we are supposed to get more rain Sunday through Wednesday.  beginners welcome.  I have a full outside kitchen set up that I can make available if needed.  good Verizon service.  water close by.  town is walking distance.  small store and gas station.  large stores 29 miles away. 

highdesertranger

I am going to dinner and a movie tonight tomorrow I will try to post some pic. it is truly a beautiful location. highdesertranger

I almost forgot you will be eligible for a share of the gold depending on how much you want to chip in and work. you will leave with gold. highdesertranger

I wish I was set and ready to go.

I have been looking at lot into prospecting a bit while doing this. I figured it would be a great way to spend the time. I have a buddy that has a claim in Central Idaho and I have tried to understand the rules of using govt land to set a claim.. I haven't learned much from reading anything and to have hands on experience would be extraordinary.

I figured a place to do so during summer and one for the winter would be ideal. Doing so on private property would be great. I am about 40 minutes north of NE Oregon border as  it is.

I wish I could come get some real world experience and knowledge on prospecting. I will be reaching out when I am finished building out here..maybe you will need a replacement at that time. :-/

Whoever gets to see your set up and gets to experience prospecting will be a very lucky person! Hope it all works out well for you!

A few pics of camp,

IMG_2144 - Copy.JPG
outdoor kitchen

IMG_2147 - Copy.JPG
gold clean up area

IMG_2148 - Copy.JPG
another view

IMG_2151 - Copy.JPG
one last overview of camp

later I will get some of the surrounding area.

highdesertranger

Attachments

• IMG_2144 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2144 - Copy.JPG
    722.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2147 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2147 - Copy.JPG
    1,021.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2148 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2148 - Copy.JPG
    966 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2151 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2151 - Copy.JPG
    991.7 KB · Views: 41
so I brought in an excavator to remove the top 2ft of overburden,

thumbnail (2) - Copy.jpg

thumbnail (3) - Copy.jpg
notice the guy in charge standing there with a shovel.  LOL

this saved an enormous amount of work.  now everything can go right through the highbanker

highdesertranger

Attachments

• thumbnail (2) - Copy.jpg
    thumbnail (2) - Copy.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 27
  • thumbnail (3) - Copy.jpg
    thumbnail (3) - Copy.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 32
IMG_2159 - Copy.JPG
some mining pictures this gives you a look at the area and my operation,

IMG_2153 - Copy.JPG
the trail up to the diggins

IMG_2156 - Copy.JPG
the high banker ready to go

IMG_2161.JPG
another view

IMG_2164.JPG
just add water

IMG_2165.JPG
the glory hole

more to come

highdesertranger

Attachments

• IMG_2153 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2153 - Copy.JPG
    910.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2156 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2156 - Copy.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2159 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2159 - Copy.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2161.JPG
    IMG_2161.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2164.JPG
    IMG_2164.JPG
    963.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2165.JPG
    IMG_2165.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 32
highdesertranger said:
I am going to dinner and a movie....
HDR you are roughing it now.

What is a highbanker, is that a sluice box? I did not see running water on your pics.
-crofter

some more,

IMG_2170.JPG
another view of the glory hole

IMG_2174.JPG
a load waiting to go in

IMG_2180.JPG
the pump back down at the creek.  I have to pump water about 300ft horizontally and about 30ft elevation gain uphill

IMG_2181.JPG
another view of the creek

IMG_2183.JPG
we have water

IMG_2184.JPG

IMG_2186.JPG
the hopper,  anybody working around this WILL get wet.  I usually take the job as nobody else wants it.

more to come

highdesertranger

Attachments

• IMG_2170.JPG
    IMG_2170.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2174.JPG
    IMG_2174.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2180.JPG
    IMG_2180.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2181.JPG
    IMG_2181.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2183.JPG
    IMG_2183.JPG
    939.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2184.JPG
    IMG_2184.JPG
    576.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2186.JPG
    IMG_2186.JPG
    569.7 KB · Views: 12
let me catch up Crofter. you got water now.

the movie was "Goin South"  with Jack Nicolson.  what a crack up

last pics for now,

thumbnail (4).jpg
feeding the high banker

thumbnail (5).jpg

thumbnail (6).jpg

that's it for now.  I was going to take a run into town and take some pictures but I remembered it's the 4th so I will go in Monday and post those pics then.

highdesertranger

Attachments

• thumbnail (4).jpg
    thumbnail (4).jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 33
  • thumbnail (5).jpg
    thumbnail (5).jpg
    273 KB · Views: 23
  • thumbnail (6).jpg
    thumbnail (6).jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 41
So let us get some education here. The bedrock is what? A prehistoric stream bed with 2’ of over burden? Base of a water fall? Round river rock layer on top of bed rock? How did you determine where to dig? Maps or area history? Give us the story, you don’t get an excavator without being confident.

I think Im in but probably w/2 vehicles?

Bullfrog I am working what is called a bench. it is where the creek flowed a long time ago. before it eroded it's way deeper into the canyon. the 2 feet of material that is sitting on bed rock is ancient river bottom comprised of gravels that are highly compacted. you need a pick to break them up.

I discovered it 10 years ago while prospecting. I came up every year until 2015. I have moved an huge amount of pay dirt and over burden. when I first started there was only a tiny maybe 1 ft square of bedrock showing now there is a couple of hundred sq ft exposed. the old timers worked this area but they missed several places. I already have another place picked out with a little bedrock showing.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
.... the 2 feet of material that is sitting on bed rock is ancient river bottom comprised of gravels that are highly compacted.  you need a pick to break them up....
I knew it was more than just shovelling. Running a pick is not as bad as drilling blast holes though. I am doing daily duties here or I would be there in a  minute. 

Happy 4th. Hope you all got some fireworks.
-crofter

What a cool opportunity. I wish I had a camper or something to live in to join you!

i hope you find a MASSIVE CHUNK OF GOLD !!!!!

That looks like a beautiful place! Much prettier than the one we were at last winter.