Opinions on this van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AbuelaLoca

Reaction score
Really like this van... Any opinions or advice? I really want a high top for comfort with my health issues....

https://loz.craigslist.org/cto/5940064308.html

00Y0Y_d6NmAGOQlUK_600x450.jpg

Can't really tell from the ad or the pictures whether this is built on a 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, or one ton van.  If you still have plans to pull a trailer, you would be better off with a 3/4 or one ton.  164,000 miles is more than **I** would be happy with.  At that mileage, I would worry about it nickel and dimeing me with repair costs.

It says it's a 1500 ram. I'm not a ram person but i think 1500 is a half ton.

Just a heads up....pun intended....... that high top isn't very high. Unless you are quite short, do not have expectations of being able to stand fully upright.
These roof designs often have an easy to install flat ceiling which takes away inches of available height.

Dave

Also, that vintage does NOT have a carburetor but has a throttle body injection system which can look like a carburetor to those unfamiliar with such things.

Of course, modifications can be and at times are made by previous owners to older style fuel systems.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Can't really tell from the ad or the pictures whether this is built on a 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, or one ton van.  If you still have plans to pull a trailer, you would be better off with a 3/4 or one ton.  164,000 miles is more than **I** would be happy with.  At that mileage, I would worry about it nickel and dimeing me with repair costs.

I'm not planning on pulling anything... a 1/2 ton is not what I was looking for tho LOL  Nickel and dime is what I'm used to!!   :D

djkeev said:
Just a heads up....pun intended....... that high top isn't very high. Unless you are quite short, do not have expectations of being able to stand fully upright.
These roof designs often have an easy to install flat ceiling which takes away inches of available height.

Dave

I'm 5'2" and shrinking!! :cool:

5'2" ...... you're good!

I under stand that you won't tow but here's the concern to ask and look closely at, the unit is equipped with a tow package which tells me that someone has towed. What did they tow? How big was it? How far was it towed? Mountains or flat Prairies?
Towing is hard on a transmission, added stress, added heat build up, etc can shorten the life of any transmission.
If it hasn't been rebuilt already at 164,000 miles, factor that soon to happen future event into your budget.
The photos look great, the price is good too. I'd go check it out if I were still shopping.

New paint is a caution sign. Nice new Paint can hide things that you should know about.
Why is there new paint?
Accident repair?
Rust repair?
Or simply cleaning up years of accumulated "road rash"?

Dave

it's $2,500, if it were hiding a wreck but drives fine who cares. It's not $25k we're talking about.

I still think you should buy mine, it's ready to go and costs less :D

If it seems to good to be true it probably is. One of the best vans I ever had I bought was at a junk yard and had them build the drive train out of the best parts in the yard. Offered them low book value for that year van. Motor used a little oil, some bolts were missing but I told them if it ran after a year I would sell it and do it again. It did and I was back a year later! This add has that kind of feel to it.

Mileage is not bad for a 2001 vehicle, it's 16 years old. In my experience, and from talking to others, the 318 engine is bullet proof. 
My biggest concern here is the transmission, especially if they towed a big heavy trailer with it.
I would ask about all that, and if the transmission has had anything done to it.
Good Luck.

That is a Texas phone #.  I would be worried about flood damage.  Also, that high top would not have much space for solar.  If you are going to look at it, I will go with you to check it out.

GotSmart said:
That is a Texas phone #.  I would be worried about flood damage.  Also, that high top would not have much space for solar.  If you are going to look at it, I will go with you to check it out.

That is why I wont even consider a hightop, and i'm 6'1".  Most of them are convoluted, and good luck putting panels on that.  If you don't need solar, by all means go for the hightop.  The flexible panels haven't demonstrated their reliability to me so those aren't an option either.

Exactly what I was looking for!! Great information! I did not consider that they might have towed something heavy with it. Right now, there's a guy at the lake going to take a mechanical look at it for me... I'll need to ask him to ask about the towing part. My sister lives near the area and they're going to offer $1500 for it. For that money I could have the transmission fixed! I did ask her to look at the high top pretty closely for water leaks... It's not unusual for kids to be selling their parents stuff off down at the lake, so the Texas area code didn't really bother me.

John, I will definitely give you a holler if I'm going down to look at it (if my sister doesn't pick it up for $1500)

Bardo, I actually love the look of your van, but I think I'm wanting something a little newer...

Lol ain't erryone

I will say this a carbed Chev small block with 350 turbo trans id trust way more than an older fuel injected van.

Bardo, too many people, especially older folk, bad mouth fuel injection for no good reason.... maybe prejudice and fear of new methods?

Fuel injection produces a better running, gives better fuel mileage, produces more power and puts out less emissions that a carb ever could.

To say it's no good is based upon a lack of understanding on how it works and how to diagnose problems.

I would NEVER go back to a gas gulping polluting carbed engine!

I have NEVER had a moment of fuel injection problems and I'm going back to early production mechanical fuel injection of the 1970's.
But, I can say that I've wasted countless hours rebuilding, cleaning and fiddling with carbs on many various units I've owned over many decades.

You see, I'm older but I'm smart enough to grasp and embrace good technology when I see it.

IMHO Your advice here is simply bad advice.

Dave

You're like the only person in the world to never have a mystery sensor quit, or injector go out, or fuel pump go bad? sitting on the side of the road with an old vehicle I'd rather have a simple carb system to figure out. plain and simple. 2-3 things to look at vs 102 possible problems

I have 3 vans; 1991 econoline 13-15 mpg no hightop, a 02 grand caravan 17-18mpg, and an 84 chevy with 9ft roof and solar - 12-13mpg

if your carbs ran that bad maybe you shouldn't have been working on them yourself.

oh and dodge trans are notorious junk lol

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.   :rolleyes:

I have had chevy engines and transmissions go out on me.  I have had ford engines and transmissions go out on me.  I have had dodge engines and transmissions go out on me.  

If you keep something maintained, you should get good service out of it.  After a whole lot of years and miles, everything needs attention at some time. 

I did a search using WORST TRANSMISSION  and found one forum swears at the Ford 5R55W, another the GM Turbo 250. GM 700r4, GM200r4, Dodge 

Then I looked specifically at the Ram 1500. It has a fairly high AT failure rate compaired to other years/models of the Ram.   

BUT ~~~ The biggest complaint on the Dodge, was a cracked dash board cover.   Honda scored much worse in transmission failure, and had the worst reputation for the brakes on the 2008 Accord.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Dodge/Ram_1500/2001/

I've owned and driven a few Dodges... I'm driving a '93 Dodge Intrepid right now... it had 111,000 miles on it when I bought it for $300 three years ago. If it weren't for the interior going bad and a cracked windshield (over $200 at a junk yard), I would keep it for another 100K miles (It's at 151K now). It has had a few issues and I've put about $800 in it over the 3 years (tires, alternator, battery, struts, etc). It is still mechanically sound, but the passenger door has no panel and no clips, that window doesn't roll down anymore, no air conditioning, blower on the heater is getting worse with each winter... etc., etc... all that to say... I would buy Dodge over and over again!

My son-in-law is my main mechanic and he hates, hates, hates working on Dodges and Jeeps. My last purchase was a Mitsubishi Montero Sport which he said he would work on (and he has!) and it's now with the youngest at college... Hope they both keep their grades up! ;-)