Only have a Sedan. So what about a tent?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From time to time people build trailers out of wrecked Pickup Truck beds.   Since there are full sized ones and now smaller ones (built out of Chevy S-10's,  Rangers, or Asian Pickup's)  you may find
a trailer built out of one of those.   You'll just have to look and shop, or go to a wrecking yard and explain you'd like to have one built.  Then shop for the slide in camper.  You could then find a Pickup Camper that would fit the trailer.

You could have something like this:

Pickup_trailer_Camper.jpg

There are longer Pickup Campers which would extend out of the back
of the trailer another foot or so.

But this is just to give you an idea of the flexibility you can attain if you wish
to pursue it.

Thanks for the explanation of the SPAX bolts, Doug. Yes, Doug is the one who showed them to me.

I've seen videos of cars in which the back rest of the rear seats had been removed, allowing a person to sleep with legs extended into the trunk area. Maybe you could do that?

treesprite said:
I've seen videos of cars in which the back rest of the rear seats had been removed, allowing a person to sleep with legs extended into the trunk area. Maybe you could do that?

My inspiration for vandwelling came from my dad. He removed the backseat of our 1974 Dodge Dart and created a bed that would sleep two. Our feet were in the trunk. We’d use it for two or three months at a time between 1979 and 1984. He insulated the trunk and we had an insulated curtain separated our lower bodies in the trunk and doubled as a kind of blanket.

He didn’t build it for stealth though. I’m sure it could be done without much trouble.

That picture a couple posts up is funny, looks like a baby 5th wheel!
Pretty cool though.

Hey we we're referred to this site from a neighbor we just met. He said this would be a great avenue to post for our skill set. If anyone is looking for a carpenter to do a van build at reasonable prices get a hold of us.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! J-ctravels, please go over to the Newcoer's Forum and introduce yourself to us all. And Merry Christmas :)

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

If you do this be sure to get a canvas tent. Nylon tents get eaten up by UV rays. The mentioned Springbar and Kodiak tents are canvas and do well in wind. Keep in mind it's not always windy. The high winds you can experience are usually a weather front coming through. You might want to check out the Shiftpod tents. They have a mini that's 6' X 6' and about 5'6" high that is insulated, super easy to set up, comes with a floor, works well in wind.

Bob Wells has covered New Mexico State Parks in several videos. By far the best state park pass in the country. $225 a year for an out of state camper to camp for free at their primitive sites. That gives you access to their restrooms, showers, and potable water. If you want electric it's only $4 a night with the pass. Can run space heater for warmth, fans, lights, no worries about running out of power with portable power pack. Search on YouTube for Cheap RV Living New Mexico if you haven't seen them yet. Parks vary in elevation so can be cool in the summer at higher elevation.

As others have said nylon tents don't offer much as far as insulation or durability. I used to camp a lot by the ocean and wind so I would buy Walmart tents, save the box and receipt, then exchange it when the wind blew it up and broke a pole. The taller your tent is the more weak it will be in wind.

A small car will not tow much, if you use it for more weight then it is designed for(1-4 people, 4 adults you will own jalopy in a few months) it will probably have a much shorter life span.

vantexan said:
Bob Wells has covered New Mexico State Parks in several videos.  By far the best state park pass in the country.  $225 a year for an out of state camper to camp for free at their primitive sites. 

This is a great pass but don't buy one before reading the latest Covid information. Right now the campgrounds are closed and day use is restricted to NM residents only. I think that the campgrounds were opened during the summer but, again, just for NM residents.
https://newmexicostateparks.reserve...e=common&commonPath=/htm/NM_AnnualPasses.html

Latest posts