one weekend to go!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnarledwolf

Reaction score
Two work days left and a weekend.  Lotsa packing and final plans this weekend, then Monday we are off in my Eclipse! As luck would have it I hit a damn skunk last night.... not a fun smell to start off with... i just hope it's gone by monday.  At any rate, we are going to be doing stealth camping as much as possible and going from Ny down south, across the top of Texas, then  up into the canyons and up toward Washington, which is our target. i just hope there is some wild life left in Washinton when we get there thanks to the wild fires I keep hearing about!  We have the small battery bank, the inverter and the solar panel installed and kicking out power just fine.  Due to room, the solar panel will only be good when we stop to camp... it's on a 20 foot long line, but the battery bank powers just fine when the car is running.  I am so stoked to get on the road and start a new chapter!  We'll be doing a blog really soon called Adventure-incorporated and ready by Monday.  Everything is coming together.
Matt

Sounds like you might be going west across I-40, a route I have driven many times. In my opinion, the world "changes" when you reach New Mexico. (the tiny town of San Jon has an exit not long after you enter the state and they have a city park with free camping).

You'll be seeing lots of high desert landscapes with mesas and buttes, then some forested areas around Albuquerque. The landscape is not hugely dramatic west of ABQ if you're on the interstate, but there are some very interesting stops like El Morro (and I "think" they may have free camping or at least overnight parking in their lot).

But I'm getting carried away --- your excitement and enthusiasm are contagious!!

Wonderful news Matt!!! But let me warn you that sometimes (not always) it can be so radically different from your old life it may be hard in the beginning. If it is, don't be surprised, just hang in there and chances are very good it will eventually meet all your expectations!

Lot's of little practical problems will come up as you go along, that's normal, we're here for you and will be glad to help you work them out! We've all had them before, just like you!

You're not alone!
Bob

congrats keep us updated, post some pics. on a side note, skunk smell really doesn't bother me. I know I am weird but I have been around it so much, I guess I am immune. lol. my dog has been sprayed at least half a dozen times. highdesertranger

[ATTACH=full said:
4339[/ATTACH]  akrvbob pid='151318' dateline='1440627583']Wonderful news Matt!!! But let me warn you that sometimes (not always) it can be so radically different from your old life it may be hard in the beginning. If it is, don't be surprised, just hang in there and chances are very good it will eventually meet all your expectations!

Lot's of little practical problems will come up as you go along, that's normal, we're here for you and will be glad to help you work them out! We've all had them before, just like you!

You're not alone!
Bob

You are so right, Bob.  We've camped on two different campsites from campgrounds.com and so far like the service of the page.  we camped in illinois at Kaskaskia river... which would have been great if not for the nasty humidity and the fact that we threw a brake pad and had to fix it for two hours... and got in around 1am to set up in the dark.   Our second night was in Oklahoma at Tullahasi camp grounds which is way better than Kaskaskia.... this one has water, picknick tables, a fire pit, and a pit toilet!  Free is my favorite price!

Attachments

• camp Kassasskia.jpg
    camp Kassasskia.jpg
    838.7 KB · Views: 20
  • fixing car.jpg
    fixing car.jpg
    456.9 KB · Views: 15
  • car fixed.jpg
    car fixed.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 14
hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you threw a brake pad, you have a serious problem that needs to be fixed asap. highdesertranger