One Pot/Pan Recipes & Reviews

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanFan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to vary our menus a little more.  Made a version of this a few nights ago, and was delighted to remember just how good simple can be.  https://buythiscookthat.com/hot-mess-skillet/

Tonight, I gave this a try.  https://www.freshoffthegrid.com/one-pot-pasta-primavera/  It was my first time cooking pasta in the skillet with minimal water, eliminating the need to drain.  I kept hot water in a kettle nearby to add as needed until the pasta was cooked.  Although cooked longer than suggested, the pasta was a bit firm.  It could have been what I used:  whole wheat penne.  Also, we found about 1/2 the suggested goat cheese to be sufficient.  You'll want a good pan scrapper for clean-up.  This was a "proof of concept" recipe for me.  I may try it again with different pasta and veggies.

Do you have any favorite one pot/pan recipes that serve one or two people?

Oh, anything, really!  I don't use much raw meat because it's hard to buy in small quantities or keep easily, but I wouldn't rule it out either.  Thanks!

I have a one pot recipe that is a fan favorite.
Cook pasta in the pot first, drain and set aside, I like penne or rigatoni for this.
Then I cook sweet Italian sausage in the pot, I remove it from the casing and break it up as it cooks.
When the sausage is almost cooked I add garlic, onions, peppers and then mushrooms.
(You can buy a medley of frozen veggies and use that for a real easy meal)
When that's all cooked, I put the pasta back in, add a bunch of butter and heat everything back up and melt the butter.
I finish it with shredded cheese and hot sauce.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Garbage stew:

2 qt saucepan
Boil 2 1/2 cups of water
Add one cup of brown rice
Add 3-4 diced red potatoes
Simmer for 45 minutes till brown rice is cooked
Add one can of diced tomatoes
Add one can of spinach or other greens
(I mix it up in the container I store it in)

Eat with protein source of choice

Lasts me two days but I do eat other meals
I've been eating this daily for over 15 yrs. I don't eat for taste. I go for the nutrition

I have several one pot wonders.  But a few months ago when it was nearly 100 degrees F every day I didn't feel much like cooking or eating piping hot food as the temps rose.   OK for breakfast at 6 am but cooler stuff throughout the day.

You may think of this as a "one mixing bowl" meal.

Salmon Salad.

When this is done I eat it with vegetable or savory crackers like I find at Aldi's or Dollar Tree.  Cut vegetable sticks, radishes etc go well with it too.

1 Can of Pink Salmon

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]sliced scallions-green onions to fill the palm of your hand[/font]

[size=medium][font=Helvetica, sans-serif]1 TB dried dill weed[/font][/size]

1 piece minced[size=medium][font=Helvetica, sans-serif] celery or about enough to fill the palm of your hand[/font][/size]

[size=medium][font=Helvetica, sans-serif]1 TB dry parsley[/font][/size]

[size=medium][font=Helvetica, sans-serif]1/4[/font] [font=Helvetica, sans-serif]cup of mayo or salad dressing or more if you like[/font][/size]

[size=medium][font=Helvetica, sans-serif]1/4[/font] [font=Helvetica, sans-serif]tsp[/font] [font=Helvetica, sans-serif]smoked or regular paprika[/font][/size]

[size=medium][font=Helvetica, sans-serif]1/4[/font] [font=Helvetica, sans-serif]tsp[/font] [font=Helvetica, sans-serif]cayenne pepper if you have it[/font][/size]

[size=medium][font=Helvetica, sans-serif] juice of one lemon or lime[/font][/size]

[size=medium][font=Helvetica, sans-serif]2[/font] [font=Helvetica, sans-serif]tsp[/font] [font=Helvetica, sans-serif]dijon mustard[/font][/size]

[size=medium][font=Helvetica, sans-serif]pinch of salt and pepper[/font] [font=Helvetica, sans-serif]or to taste[/font][/size]

Sour Cream to add in order to make this like a thick dip so it can be scooped with a cracker without breaking it

Spanish bean soup - my own version

Always getting asked to make this. I made two big pots yesterday and it’s gone. This is for one pot

Smoked sausage. It comes in a long casing doubled over. Cut in 1/4 inch slices

Two cans garbanzo beans

About five red potatoes - good sized - or more cut in bite size pieces

A few stalks of celery (or not) cut in small chunks

One can of hominy

Handful of fresh baby carrots or regular carrots cut in chunks.

Turmeric powder (about 1 teaspoon)

A few Garlic cloves or garlic powder

2 chicken bullion cubes

Pepper to taste

All in a pot, cover with water and cook for a couple of hours. You’ll probably need to add water as it cooks. Make it as sloppy as you want so adjust water accordingly.

Serve with garlic toast

Yum yum.

One of my favorite one pots on a cold day is to saute some potatoes, carrots, mushrooms with a little olive oil. And some diced garlic and onion. Throw in some cube steak. Get that cooked then add 2 packs of brown gravy and water. Delicious hot stew.

I made this Tuscan White Bean & Spinach Soup the other day, and it was delicious.

https://www.food.com/recipe/tuscan-white-bean-spinach-soup-150898

A nice mix of a few canned things plus some fresh.  Very flavorful, and made a modest pot to be consumed by myself and a guest, with a little leftover.

I used great northern beans, and didn’t have dried rosemary so used basil.

Yummy stuff here.
I love one pot dishes.. I like mac and cheese, Boxed stuff is maybe ok, but home made from scratch with tons of other goodies. like broccoli and ham or chicken. Sometimes with dill and salmon. Spanish rice is always good with lots of cheese. Tuna casserole is good and of course just about any pasta. Then the potato stuff good golden potatoes with any kind of meat, left overs or fresh cooked or even canned. covered with gravy that matches. Ok now I'm hungry.....

I used to get a box of Annie's mac n cheese and a can or 2 of tuna for some cheap ghetto tuna casserole

My go to recipe is a three can chili.

- 1 can kidney, black, or pinto beans, ~15 oz. (no salt)
- 1 can tomatoes, ~15 oz. (no salt)
- 1 can tomato sauce, 8 oz. (no salt)
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 small onion
- Chili powder, to taste
- Casero seasoning, to taste (I use this in the place of salt in most of my recipes. If you’re a fan of garlic, I highly recommend it.)
- “Meat” (I use either a 1/3 pound turkey patty or 5-6 oz. of soy chorizo)

Brown the “meat” with the onion. Reduce heat. Add tomatoes and oats and bring to a boil. Start adding the chili powder and casero to your taste. Add beans, bringing back to boil, continue adding spices as needed. Add tomato sauce (and spices if needed). Simmer for a few minutes.

Easy Peasy!

I get 3-4 servings from this.

365vacay, have you considered using a 16-ounce jar of salsa in lieu of the can of tomatoes?

VanFan said:
Oh, anything, really!  I don't use much raw meat because it's hard to buy in small quantities or keep easily, but I wouldn't rule it out either.  Thanks!
You can buy meat in small quantities at any of the larger grocery stores that have a counter where they have a butcher type of department. It can be purchased by the ounce, they weigh and wrap it up for you. I bought a half pound of stew meat that way the other day.

Easy to keep it for several days to a week or so depending on the type of meat if you have a 12v fridge. But fresh fish should be eaten the day you buy it if possible, it does not keep as long as beef, pork or chicken.

2 cup chopped veg (carrot, celery, cabbage) drizzle with olive oil and vinegar. Add protein source: nuts or seeds, can of sardine . Some ppl would add cheese but I don't eat it. If no protein source, make up protein powder drink to supplement. Yes this is really what I usually eat for dinner, veggies are prepared in advance for several meals. Cheaper and healthier than the bagged stuff and no need to cook anything. If you need a hot drink to warm up, the protein drink can be taken hot.
About 300 to 450 calories depending on protein source, 20g Fat, 10g carbs when using meat protein, 15g protein. Easy to add calories and fat by adding coconut oil to the protein drink.
-crofter