One of those Days

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunny

Reaction score
I had the pleasure of meeting Mizmozy and her mechanic this morning. I got my old trailer in the shop, found out why the fridge and furnace wouldn't light and in a couple of weeks she will be good as almost new. 

Very uneventful trip, MsMozy was in the lead when I heard a tic-tic-tic from under the hood. Serpentine belt decides to call it quits 10 miles from his shop. Good Sam was fast today, had a wrecker out in 30 minutes and towed my truck to Whites garage and Wrecker service. MsMozy hooked my trailer to her truck and away we go. The man MsMozy recommended could not been any nicer. 

$190 later I have a new belt and tensioner and away I go. MsMozy went back to her camp and I headed toward Dallas. I made it to halfway between Dallas and Ft Worth at 1730 and I hear a tic-tic-effin tic. Dash lights up. My one hour old serpintine belt takes a dump during rush hour traffic. Hottest day of the year so far, a pleasant 90 with no breeze. 

I try, I swear to god I try not to get mad and stroke out but failed today.. No Stroke tho. Yay. At 2000 a truck pulls up and Good Sam has authorized a 2 mile tow to Firestone. A closed Firestone. After speaking to three customer service people they decide I can go home. Home an hour later, no food, no drugs (but that has been fixed) and relaxation.

Whites Garage and Towing. The tow guy was exceptional. The mechanic could not find his ass with both hands and a road map.

Those passing thru or near southern Ok should meet MsMozy and her beautiful pups. An exceptional woman. 

Rob

WOW Rob! You had quite a day.  :(   I hope things get better from here on out.

Strange thing, it was good. Meeting members such as MsMozy, ArtW, JiminDenver and Pnolans make things worthwhile. There are many members I want to at least shake their hand.

There is solace in kinship. Not everyone is going to be best friends but so many good people on one forum.

I would like to make a list of who I have met.

Cheers... Rob

Well , it didn't kill you so you must be tougher now .
Waiting to find out what is eating those belts................

Damn Rob, that's a rough day for anybody. Glad you made it through it. I'm a pretty calm person but that would have flared my not often seen temper up for sure.

Hope to shake your hand one day soon!

I was considering a trip to the Northeast, Cyndi might think I was stalking her tho.

Would enjoy breaking bread with you Matt.

Rob

Your experience reminds me of one of my trips: the fuel pump blew in Utah, the connection between the generator and the battery came loose in Wyoming, the water pump blew in Nevada, and the rear lights wouldn't turn off in Oregon. And then I got a relatively mild case of food poisoning in Santa Nella (forever to be remembered as Salmonella), CA.

I'm sorry that it was so frustrating, but I'm glad it turned out okay... eventually.

Ahhh, for the good old days when you could tie up some rawhide boot laces as a substitute fan belt for a few miles. And then find buy a belt and put it on yourself! Sorry you had a shit day Rob.

I could use a little excitement. Stalk on!

Sorry your day was rough, but you started mine with a laugh! I had to listen to the song all the way through!! Still funny after all these years! I feel the same way about wanting to meet everybody on the forum!! (don't wanna whoop their asses, tho)

Don't you just hate it when you have a breakdown away from home?  Then after dealing with strangers for repairs you THINK all is well and the Repair breaks down!  I'm glad you made it home and in one piece too. 

When I added the Aliner to my auto policy my road service also covers it.  Geico will send 2 tow trucks if I'm towing the Aliner and reimburse me $50 a night on motel fees if my "trip" was interupted.  I'm surprised how cheap the premiums are.  I always drive previousy owned vehicles and on a few I think they were towed 20% of the time.

Today will be better.........puuhlease :rolleyes:

Jewellann

You've got some great stuff for those around the campfire storytelling sessions !
I know from my experiences too , but maybe not every trip needs to be a story though .......

True Popeye.... The good thing is I met some nice people (the tow truck driver who brought me home was outstanding) and got out and about for awhile. Each time I get out and actually do something my seclusion lessens a bit. It's all good, right, ?

Rob

Rob, when we were prepping to leave Florida it all felt like a big failure. I started staying in the house more and more and more, and I'm a fairly social person. Wasn't until I realized I was exhibiting classic signs of situational depression that I started going out a little more, and each time I did I felt that heaviness lessen a bit.

Hope you take off and get to starting meeting more folks, love to shake your hand and sip a beer together sometime.

I'll be glad to chat with you a bit somewhere if there is some sort of gathering in lieu of the summer RTR.

So what happened second time?  Did the belt break or did the idler pulley break this time?

closeanuf said:
So what happened second time?  Did the belt break or did the idler pulley break this time?

I don't know. I never popped the hood. I shut it down when the alternator started dropping and the warning light came on. The temp had climbed to the edge of the gauge so I just shut it down. 

My mechanics tow truck is coming in the morning, he ran late today. Didn't matter, my retirement check hits Friday and until then I am not broke but close. 

I'll get it running right then work on getting the dent out. She'll be like a new truck.

Rob

Has anyone ever just checked their bank account in the hopes that they posted a direct deposit early? They haven't, darn the luck.

Rob