One lb. Propane Bottle Spewing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanFan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What should I have/could I have done when a 1 lb. propane bottle failed to reseal after being removed from the regulator on a stove?  I set it on some gravel, away from everything, and let it vent--feeling enormously guilty, but also afraid to pick it up.  Compressed gas makes me excessively(?) nervous.  My spouse stuck the regulator back in and got it to seal.  I've seen this happen before, but it was my first direct experience.

yes put the regulator back on. it's just like a Schrader that are on your tires where you put air in. you can probably reseat it but,

DO NOT USE ANYTHING THAT COULD CAUSE A SPARK. NON-FERROUS metal only or plastic.

I am not yelling at you. the caps are for emphasis so everybody reads it as a warning.

this isn't really a big deal and happens often especial if the bottles are refilled. although then it tends to be a slow leak because the rubber seal has deteriorated over time. when this happens leave it connected to the regulator and throw the bottle out when it's empty.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
you can probably reseat it but,

DO NOT USE ANYTHING THAT COULD CAUSE A SPARK.  NON-FERROUS metal only or plastic.
I don't mean to be dense, but to be sure I understand:  Do you mean don't use anything "sparky" after reseating until propane has dissipated, or during use until the bottle is empty?

sorry I should have explained it better. if you look down the hole there is a little pin if you press that pin down you should be able to reseat it and stop the leak. if you look at your valve stem on your tires they look the same if you push that pin down air will come out of your tire when you release the pin it will reseal. you can do the same on your propane bottle.

however heed my warning above do not try to push the pin down with anything that could cause a spark. non-ferrous metal is metal that won't spark like, aluminum, brass, copper, gold, silver or any metal a magnet won't stick to. of course plastic is fine.

as a side note if the leak were to ignite it's NOT going to blow up, but you will have one hell of flame thrower.

highdesertranger

VanFan said:
What should I have/could I have done when a 1 lb. propane bottle failed to reseal after being removed from the regulator on a stove?  I set it on some gravel, away from everything, and let it vent--feeling enormously guilty, but also afraid to pick it up.  Compressed gas makes me excessively(?) nervous.  My spouse stuck the regulator back in and got it to seal.  I've seen this happen before, but it was my first direct experience.
The important thing is you took an appropriate immediate action to ensure safety of you and your belongings. Always remember that you did not fail to act responsibly.   It is OK to be nervous about gas but do remember that your fear did not result in a lack of appropriate action. That means you didn't freeze up under stress until the real danger was resolved and that means you are both sensible and brave. It would not have mattered if it had sat out there and spewed until it was empty. No need to feel guilty about not knowing how to fix a faulty canister. You did not create the issue and no one knows how to fix everything. Letting it spew in a safe location would have been a perfectly sensible solution to the issue if your husband had not gotten results with his attempt. Be proud of yourself for taking the right action under the circumstance. The emotional feelings are just that big physical and mental slump that sets in after a crisis is over.

Be careful not to look directly at the valve if depressing it with something (toothpick?). The freezing gas could hit you in the eye. Safest to just put it back on the regulator.

gsfish said:
My first juvenile reaction was to say "throw it in a fire" but I'm glad to see that cooler heads have prevailed. Some sort of eye protection would be a good idea when dealing with a situation like this.

I was cooking breakfast on a boat many years ago using a SVEA 123 white gas stove. It developed a leak that ignited and I immediately tossed the whole thing overboard. So much for coffee and eggs but at least we didn't have to swim home.

Guy
Wait till it’s almost empty before you, you get the the most bang for your buck  :p

maki2 said:
...Letting it spew in a safe location would have been a perfectly sensible solution to the issue...

Yes. Besides, what's a few of bucks worth of propane compared to the other things that might've been lost or harmed?

I agree that is a smart option. this whole thing is why I really don't care for the disposable. I have had several leak over the years, never big leaks just slow leaks. especially on bottles I have refilled, so I rarely refill anymore and if I do I leave it hooked up. highdesertranger

What convinced me to at least store them outside in the open air was when I stored several I had refilled in a yellow top tote for a few days and could definitely smell a large amount of propane when I took off the top and reached down in to get a bottle.

They do tend to leak. Before I put any used cylinders away, I always--Always drop a little soap or water on top where the valve is at. If it bubbles , it is leaking. I was fortunate enough to find a half full cylinder leaking profusely as i was about to close the rear door of our SUV with the kids in the back.

I've found a few leakers since. Now I almost always use a white gas stove/ lantern, or a adapter hose to a large tank.

Just posting to say, check every cylinder for leakage after use.
No need to be fearful i feel they are very safe. Just be aware :D

9 times in 10 once I mount them they stay that way until empty! I’ve had one not reseal years ago and I just screwed it back on to a torch I was going to use later anyway!

SD

I went into panic mode once a long time ago.
Left it sit on the picnic table until dispensed. Sorry, ozone layer.
Screwed it back onto the stove and tried to reignite. Nothing, so it was empty.
After that I played with it to rapidly discover the seating mechanism.
It hasn't happened since then but yes, it was a bit scary the first time.
Mostly due to what (could) have happened, I suppose.

I actually had the exact same thing happen to me a few days ago. And for the longest time I could not figure out what the smell was. Had all the windows and doors open and the smell persisted. Then I started to get a really bad stomach ache and feel nauseous. I thought a little critter like a mouse got into the van and died without me ever noticing somehow. But the stench of death was not the smell... I remember the smell of dead rats very well from my warehouse working days. Finally I realized it was the propane leaking. I put my ear near it and sure enough, it was leaking. So I set it outside to drain. Certainly not the best for the environment, but I didn't know what else to do and was scared to hook it back up to the stove. Now I know to pay attention to this.