Connecting a classic two burner Coleman to an already regulated line

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanTalk00

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to connect a classic two burner Coleman to an already regulated line?  I think the regulator that comes with the stove drops the pressure from a 20 lb propane tank (or 1 lb bottle) pressure down to stove pressure,  but if there is already a regulator connected to the tank for other purposes, what do you do? Seems like that would be way too much pressure drop.  

Does anyone know the operating pressure of the stove?  Is it the normal 11 wc of other appliances?  If that's the case, I think I would just cut off Coleman regulator from the connection fitting and pipe in the gas directly.

Thanks,

Jim

I have an Ozark Trail brand 2 burner stove from Walmart.  I suspect the Coleman stoves are similar.  The 1 pound tank attaches at a goofy angle to a small diameter pipe.  The pipe has a Schraeder valve (like a tire) at the stove end so that disconnecting from the stove turns off the gas.  At the tank end of the pipe there is a fitting that screws on to the tank.  That is a pressure reducer.  The pressure is about twice that of the standard 11 inch water column.  If you connect the stove to a back yard BBQ grill regulator there is not enough pressure to work well.  There isn't enough pressure to get a serious cooking flame.  It does light. 

The used back yard BBQ grill regulator was a roadside find.  There are adjustable regulators commonly used for turkey fryers and often used by people sterilizing by boiling big pots of water used to brew beer.  One of those should work.  I have acquired one but where it connects to the 20 pound propane tank the O ring is missing and it has a big scratch.  I haven't tried it yet. 

What I do is half fill the used 1 pound tanks.  I never refill them.  When they are empty I put in 8 to 12 ounces.  Once I have done that I don't do it again until they are empty again.  Filling a full tank, refilling, could result in an overfilled tank that doesn't have enough vapor space to allow the liquid to expand with a rising temperature.

you can not double regulate. you just end up with a tiny useless flame. you need to put a tap in before the regulator, then run a line to the stove. this is a common mod and all the parts are available over the counter. I would not try to Mickey Mouse the connection. highdesertranger

What I did with the back yard BBQ grill regulator was replace the stove's regulator.  I connected the BBQ regulator output hose directly to the side of the stove.  Upon rereading it seems I did not make that clear.  Sorry.

I take it the Ozark Trail doesn't have a proprietary fitting on the input like a Coleman has. highdesertranger

There is a pipe with a regulator.  The regulator is where the 1 pound can attaches.  The other end of the pipe attaches to the stove.  I got two plastic threaded adapters and a barbed fitting to connect to the BBQ grill hose.  All came from Ace hardware, standard stuff, nothing Coleman specific.  The Ozark Trail pipe has a ridge around it with an O ring where it enters the stove.

The "right" way to do it would be to connect the 20 pound tank to a high pressure hose and connect that where the 1 pound can goes.  If the tank already has a regulator then a second tank would work.

yeah I was referring to installing a tap like this,

https://protanksupply.com/shop/propane-camping/camping-fittings/camping-tee-wqcc/

then you just install your regulator on the straight though end just like you were installing it on a tank. the other fitting takes a standard propane hose that screws into where the 1 pound bottle goes. I ran my Coleman for years that way and currently run my Camp Chef stove/oven combo that way. both of those have proprietary fittings that hook their regulators up, that you can't buy anywhere.

highdesertranger

For what it is worth to anyone,  I'll mention this little piece of equipment.   

images

It's a needle valve which can be quite handy for fine tuning gas flow.  I first learned of these when modifying meat & cheese smoking equipment.  They aren't very expensive and they have different connecting ends on them (shown has threaded ends on both sides)  This may be useful at different altitudes above sea level when you travel.

highdesertranger said:
yeah I was referring to installing a tap like this,

https://protanksupply.com/shop/propane-camping/camping-fittings/camping-tee-wqcc/

then you just install your regulator on the straight though end just like you were installing it on a tank.  the other fitting takes a standard propane hose that screws into where the 1 pound bottle goes.  I ran my Coleman for years that way and currently run my Camp Chef stove/oven combo that way.  both of those have proprietary fittings that hook their regulators up,  that you can't buy anywhere.

highdesertranger

Yikes! $64 for this little gadget.  Cheaper to go to Amazon and search for

Anderson Metals Brass Pipe Fitting, Barstock Street Tee, 1/4" Female Pipe x 1/4" Male Pipe x 1/4" Female Pipe
and
Mr. Heater 1/4 Male Pipe Thread x 1"-20 Male Throwaway Cylinder Thread Fitting

for a total of about $20.

This is a good suggestion, but I don't want multiple lines crossing my van - trying to minimize gas routes.  I may be forced into this, though.

eDJ_ said:
For what it is worth to anyone,  I'll mention this little piece of equipment.   

It's a needle valve which can be quite handy for fine tuning gas flow.  I first learned of these when modifying meat & cheese smoking equipment.  They aren't very expensive and they have different connecting ends on them (shown has threaded ends on both sides)  This may be useful at different altitudes above sea level when you travel.

Good idea.  I just saw one of these at Home Depot.  I worry about these leaking when open part way.  I have a similar valve on a water line that is fine when full open or full closed, but it leaks when part way open.

Trebor English said:
What I did with the back yard BBQ grill regulator was replace the stove's regulator.  I connected the BBQ regulator output hose directly to the side of the stove. 
Upon rereading it seems I did not make that clear.  Sorry.

Thanks!  That's what I was looking for - someone who had connected a classic Coleman directly to an already regulated line and had no trouble.

VanTalk00,  I know the ones you speak of for water.   The ones I'm speaking of are rated for gas.  You may have to visit a Propane supply business and take a photo of this valve with you so that they will understand what you are talking about. 

Typically once you have the needle adjusted to where you want it.......the nut the needle is mounted in can be tightened down.  You may be ask if this will be used indoors or outdoors too.   I would say it would only be used when you are cooking
and then the gas supply will be shut off at the supply tank and the flames allowed to burn out 

Again,  it is only a fine tuning device.

eDJ are those compression fitting on that valve? they sure look like it.

just want to make everyone aware, compression fittings are never legal for gas. no matter what the application, RV or residential or commercial. all gas fittings must be flared fittings or threaded pipe.

highdesertranger

Yes on that picture they are cause I couldn't find a photo of a valve for flared connections. 

It's only an example of what such a valve would look like.  As VanTalk00 pointed out he saw one
similar to the photo I've posted at Lowe's.  That was probably a shut off for a furnace humidifier or
an refrigerator ice maker water supply line. 

This is more of the brass shut off valve you would want with the proper ends for connecting in the line.

[img=200x200]https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/1WME1_AS04?$mdmain$[/img]

Remember:  Have some soapy water and a brush when you install one to test for leaks.

If you go the ball valve route, make sure you get a valve rated for gas, not water. Gas rated valves generally have a yellow handle.