Okay, this is what I need

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That or a Mitsubishi Delica, but unfortunately they're equally overpriced when you can find one in the USA. Pretty cool though.

We currently have a 1989 Toyota van which I set up for camping. It doesn't have the cool roof windows, or 4x4, but it is left hand drive. Toyota vans are great. We get 19-21 mpg, and it is very comfortable to drive. In fact it is the first vehicle I've owned which is actually fun to drive.

Bear in mind that you actually sit on the engine as you drive. To check the oil or work on the engine, you lift up the seats. So if you have engine trouble in the rain, at least you don't have rain on the engine.

The wheel base is really short so you can turn on a dime and park in a postage stamp.

Ours is a passenger van, and we left the last seat bench in and have two 2'x6' pieces of plywood across it and the hump behind the front seats. This we have a 4'x6' sleeping platform with foam for a mattress. It is just a shade narrow for the two of us in our old age and so we are looking to get a Chevy Express really soon and convert it.

Since for us it is a camping vehicle, stealth is not a factor. I have always thought that cooking inside a van is crazy: tiny space, smells and grease coating the interior, stuff getting dropped or splattered on the floor... So I put the galley in the back, modeled after teardrop campers: