Officially an RV Nomad

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuneElliot

Reaction score
We had our massive estate sale last weekend and by the end of Sunday everything was sold...including my bed. I have been sleeping in my RV in the driveway for over a week now but still making use of the amenities of the house...until yesterday. Sometimes I thought this day would never come.

Yesterday I officially moved my 5W off the property and to a friend's place for the next month while I get the truck fixed and do a couple more backpacking trips in the area. Then it's to Casper to get one of the RV jacks fixed and then we (me and the dogs) are heading south for the winter to find work.

Currently working on finishing up my solar install (just got to run the cables from the panels to the charge controller) and trying to get electricity from a house outlet at my friend's place. (GFCI outlets don't like my RV). I am hoping the hot water heater still works as I haven't tried it in a few years...guess I'll find out soon enough. Everything else on propane works.

This is two months ahead of schedule but since the house sold I didn't really have much choice...but here I am living the Cheap RV Life...finally.

Congratulations, it's always exciting to see someone launch.

Sweet!! Hope you have a ball out there.

congrats, I bet you feel a huge weight off your shoulders. anyhoo good luck and keep us up to date. highdesertranger

Thanks all. I am still getting organized at my friend's place and more stuff than I really need due to upcoming backpacking trips and a few things I promised to give to others. I'm still trying to convince myself to get rid of the toaster oven but I find it so useful for one person...just can't imagine being able to use it much.

I have a toaster oven !
I keep my box of pancake mix in it .........
CAn't remember how long it's been since it was plugged in probably at that last campground I worked at ,,,,2015

DuneElliot said:
We had our massive estate sale last weekend and by the end of Sunday everything was sold...including my bed. I have been sleeping in my RV in the driveway for over a week now but still making use of the amenities of the house...until yesterday. Sometimes I thought this day would never come.
<-------->
This is two months ahead of schedule but since the house sold I didn't really have much choice...but here I am living the Cheap RV Life...finally.

That's wonderful! I hope you have a great time and meet lots of new friends. Have fun! :)

DuneElliot said:
We had our massive estate sale last weekend and by the end of Sunday everything was sold...including my bed.

{snip}

Miss Dune, when you have time, (no hurry) would you write up a little synopsis of how you made arrangements, how long it took, what all was involved, and how you came out at the end of the day? I dont need numbers of course, just the overall satisfaction...or lack of?

Maybe start another thread if that would be better. I'm facing this type of change in my future and would like to know what to expect. Because most of us have to 'empty' the nest before we can take off and 'fly'...so to speak.... ;)

Thanks and good luck out there!

tx2sturgis

I started advertising on the local Facebook sale pages about two weeks ahead of the planned sale with pictures and a very comprehensive list of stuff for sale. We also had a barn full of free stuff which I advertised and listed a few thjngs also. During this time, and the following week, I answered questions about prices and other item information and also allowed people to come look but not buy....although I did allow a few minor items to go ahead of time. Keep the good stuff for the sale...it is what brings people in. Have lots of free stuff in a separate area.

On the Monday before the sale I re-posted on the Facebook pages. I also called in to both of the local radio swap-shop morning shows, which I did again on Friday. During this week we got everything priced and moved so it was out in the open part of the house...it was an open-house estate sale.

During Friday I put up sale signs from the main road to my house. The main sign included the address and dates...the rest were at intersections to direct people since we were back in the sticks a ways.

My dad was the cashier and was in charge of the money. He was at the only entrance/exit. Large items had removable tags which people brought to him and he signed off that they had paid. My step-mom and I would then allow the items to be removed. Smaller items had different tags and people just picked them up and took them to the cashier to pay. We kept all the tags and made note of anything we did not sell for the tag price (surprisingly little really). As the day progressed and then went in to Sunday we slashed prices on the few things that were left and kept moving more and more stuff into the free section. We ended up with very little left and a few donations for the free stuff since people felt guilty...lol. We had barely a pick-up load to take to the landfill and that included real garbage as more than half the load

Hope that helps

A twelve pack of beer and some home hooked meals...plus a place to park and let the dogs run free.

Sadly guessing you are probably not in a region I'm travelling to soon

DuneElliot said:
A twelve pack of beer and some home hooked meals...plus a place to park and let the dogs run free.
Haha! I see I'm not the only one that types in the dark. :p

Ballenxj said:
Haha! I see I'm not the only one that types in the dark. :p

Dude, that's what I would say too, except my keyboard is lighted!

ops thwe lihts weent out sina stilaw teyingh dorrecly?