Official DATES for RTR 2018: Rules and Maps

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if this is already known or not but this morning while messing around on Google maps I was surprised to see 'rubber tramp rendezvous' listed on the map.

You can search for it on Google maps and get there from anywhere. Am I late to the game, is this already well known? Hope it helps someone.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

dang you are right just type in rubber tramp into the search box and it comes up. thanks for the tip. highdesertranger

Gary and I would like to go. We have no generator or solar We have 2 coolers and a tent We have a conversion 2000 Chevy Express Van We can sleep in that or tent. What is weather there? do I need my long johns? The event thing I read was for January 2017. How much will we need to stay the two weeks. We want the solar class and I want the cooking class. Wow i think we need and electrical class too if there is one; we need classes on everything. Wow we just Googled the site. We are coming from Kalamazoo Michigan. I hope he wants to break up the ride I am feeling too old to risk falling asleep at the wheel.

Well maybe not our new van is not insulated either and 30 to 40 degrees is a bit too cold in and non insulated van. Are these RTR ever held during warmer night time temps?

actually the weather is pretty nice. It could get cold but usually the lows are high 30's to high 40's. daytime temps 60's and 70's. it probably will be a little windy here and there and a rain storm or two is not out of the question. several people sleep in tents, I sleep under a tarp. make sure you have good sleeping bags and you will be fine. see you there. highdesertranger

When I read about people bringing a can of soup or veggy for I forget what they called it but I remember when I was a teen many years ago my church had hobo night we had to show up to church with a can veggie for hobo stew. The church supplied the meat. We had to dress like hobos too. They had a big campfire with a big pot over it. Everyone had to open their can and dump it in the pot. I was actually pretty good but I like everything mostly.

The RTR has gotten far too big to have dinner set ups like that any more!

That's not to say that an individual group can't get together and hold a pot luck or a hobo dinner amongst themselves but the thought of feeding more than a 100 hungry RTR attendees is just way too daunting to even consider!

highdesertranger said:
actually the weather is pretty nice.  It could get cold but usually the lows are high 30's to high 40's.  daytime temps 60's and 70's.  it probably will be a little windy here and there and a rain storm or two is not out of the question.  several people sleep in tents,  I sleep under a tarp.  make sure you have good sleeping bags and you will be fine.  see you there.  highdesertranger

After calculating my gas mileage ive started seriously considering "fallback plan b" and shipping tent and quipment to myself there and getting the $119 greyhound ticket... Was wondering if there were many tent campers and suggestions on tents since Bob has mentioned wind being an issue at times...  would this fallback plan be a feasible option??? The greyhound stop is at the pilot I believe.  Is there a taxi svc in Qartzsite or is the site within walking distance of there?

a good tent is ok. if you don't like the noise of wind blowing your tent at night you will be miserable. you can walk from the pilot but it's not a short walk. I am guessing 3 miles. perhaps you can post up a please pick me up thread. highdesertranger

Looking forward to seeing some fellow rubber trampers out there this winter, enjoying some late night discussions round the bonfire. Down here in old Mexico the people are open and friendly to this strange wandering gringo, but they can't understand the lifestyle or relate to it at all. All my recent wanderings make me realize just now unique this gathering really is, and yes, how important it is to spend at least a little time each year around those with a similar passion.

I just got the time off from work approved so that I'll be able to attend a few days during the first week of the RTR. If all goes according to plan I'll be arriving on the 11th. and going home on the 16th.

The Old Farmers Wife said:
I pray I can be there and am I the only one who is really nervous about going, as a newbie?  I'm a people person, but guess I'm having some anxiety issues as I get older

I'm nervous too! But I'm doing it.

Almost There said:
It's also important but difficult for dog owners, to understand that not all people even like dogs...I know, who doesn't like your adorable pooch!! Some are even afraid of dogs and some are terribly allergic. They all deserve to be able to carry on without fear and/or health issues.

I can attest to this.  I am one of those people who is actually AFRAID of YOUR dog.  I do not know your dog and if it comes up and starts barking in my face because it's "just being protective", I will get scared, it will sense it, and even though "my dog never hurts anyone", it MAY decide to attack me because it feels my fear.  I know, because it happened all my life after I got bit by a dog as a child.  After that incident, it instilled fear into me of dogs I did not already know, and any time i met a new one, these so called "nice" dogs would snap at or bite me.  I think i've been bit close to 10 times in my short 30 years.  So, if I see a stray dog running around, I will go in the opposite direction and do everything to avoid it.  My pet peeve is when people who are walking their dogs even on a leash, let their dog come up to me because "it wants to meet you".  No!  Get your dog away!  I am afraid of dogs I do not know until I meet them and just having one walk up to me is NOT the best way for me to meet it.  At all. Stray/new dogs are creatures i tend to avoid and walk in the other direction.  I can't explain the absolute terror seeing a stray dog instills in me.  Unless I know them!  Once I get to know a dog and know it's friendly, then we're cool.

But please, keep your dogs on a leash around people.  Not all people are dog people.  Some of us have had bad experiences and we will project that onto your sweet little pooch and unintended bad things may happen just because of fear.  Again, i've seen it happen.  A dog that's never bit anyone before WILL bite someone if they sense the person is afraid of it.  

But that's just my two cents.

waverider1987 said:
I am one of those people who is actually AFRAID of YOUR dog.

I used to be one of those people, also because of a couple of bad experiences with other people's dogs as a child. I no longer fear dogs, but it takes me a long time to warm up to one.

PLEASE keep your dog on a leash.

I have a young cat. She is on a leash. I carry portable bear spay...I will spray your dog if it is running loose and comes at my cat.

PLEASE keep your dog on a leash

When we get an opportunity to travel with our two small dogs they will be on leashes or in a crate. Always. For their protection and not to disturb other people. Please everyone keep your pets leashed. Enjoy the RTR in January and I wish we could be there too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie here, can't wait to go to RTR and learn more before I start doing this full time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Wish we were going. Looking for a van. We are in the Dayton Ohio area. If anyone knows of a reasonable high top van for sale please let us know. Dealerships are soooo expensive. In the thousands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just bought a new coffee press. Anyone want to help me test it out?

Currently at the Ehrenberg plateau near what seems to me to be, a mini grand canyon.

I will pet your dogs!

I also do appreciate if they aren't running freely at the RTR as my cats sit at the screen door looking out and a big dog could rip thru the screen easily. Reminds me I will reinforce my screen door in the future to prevent this, as I really do like happy (non aggressive) dogs being able to roam freely on BLM land.