Off grid laundry

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a best Best choice products portable washing machine I got on amazon. It's no longer available but similar models are. I think I paid about $100. It has a spin dryer which is imo not a luxury but a necessity. I have used a bucket with a modified toilet plunger as an agitator. I just dont have the hand strength to wring out the clothes by hand anymore. It draws about 120~140 watts AC. I usually presoak garments in the basin for a while then run the cycle, drain, add fabric softener,  soak, cycle, drain, then spin dry, then line dry. I have the advantage of having shore power at the moment but I dont have city water. So I reuse the melt water from my cooler to wash laundry or buy water. A load of 1 pair pants or 2 pair shorts and 2 or 3 tshirts usually takes about 7 gallons of water for me. I also find its necessary during the spin cycle to attach a water line from my "weed sprayer" shower to the spin cycle to get all detergent out of the clothes. Its important to note that these type of washers need to be elevated to drain properly.

I'm thinking a 5 gallon bucket salad spinner. Restaurant Supply houses can carry or will order for you. Something like this: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/choice-5-gallon-salad-spinner-dryer/176DRYER5GL.html

(NOTE: I've never bought from or know anything about this company, just that they happen to sell one via the web apparently).

That would get you over the hand strength of wringing by hand you mentioned.

Otherwise your solution seems good as well (assuming you have power)

Just *don't* throw your clothes over a cholla to dry. Nothing good will come of it.

The Dire Wolfess

That's an interesting salad spinner. My biggest concerns would be if the inner carriage could handle a load of laundry as its obviously heavier than romaine lettuce. Also it's only about $40 less than my machine. But will work without power. As it stands my washer has held up just fine though. I watched thru quite a few review videos and most everyone was happy with theirs even a year later. The ones who weren't either didn't know it had to be elevated to drain or had a larger family and just wouldnt do with such a small washer. But even the guy who had a family of 4 in his review asked his young son (6 or 7 maybe) so since this wont work for us who would it work for? He didn't seem like it was scripted and thought for a minute and said maybe camping? Yes good. Who else could use one? Umm. Maybe someone living in a RV? I thought that was cool. These were normal ppl and seemed to view campers and RVers as normal as well. I liked that. 

I havent seen a roller wringer in ages. Around here fake "we live in the country now" ppl would consider one a valuable antique and probably pay $1000 for one.

No cacti where I live now but yeah. That would make for a very bad day I'm sure.

car buffs use the roller wringers to wring out there chamois, and for their detail rags. look there. highdesertranger

Thanks bro. If I ever quit dragging my feet and get off of my ass and get after my goals I'll do just that. I'll need a new location soon as the property I'm on will be sold and I dont have a rig yet due to inaction on my part. I'm looking into several options. Either an off grid location in alabama or Arizona or full timing.

I really like the Best Choice portable washing machine. The spin dryer is great! I use it to dry out paddle clothes. I haven't used my little Paxcess generator for the actual washing but it works fine for the spin dry, which takes no time at all. Very pleased with both for off grid.