Odd TIPS Clothes & Closet & Storage

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
I'm always looking for storage advice - mainly clothes, closet, and organizing clothes. 
What was your best tip on storing seasonal clothing?
What was the best idea you ever had, for storage?

I had an idea yesterday. My clothes on hangers were hanging too low in closet area & covering my few shoes. I took a coat hanger, held it in front, used my thumbs to bend down the shoulder area of the wire so the base of the hangar hook was even with the bottom straight wire, used 2 small Ty-Wraps, one on either side of hook to hold it down & in place. (I have photo, but don't know how to resize/crop pics)

That raised my clothes up just above 3 inches & uncovered my shoes. Also, the outer edge of coat hanger curls up and prevented tank tops or other shirts from slipping off hanger.

I use a storage tote with a snap tight lid with some used fabric softener sheets tossed in for good smelly.

If it may be days or more until I can discard trash, any meat trimmings,  bones, and scraps are wrapped in plastic wrap, placed in a dry previously used ziploc and stored either in my freezer or frig until I am able to dump it. My remaining trash is mostly tissues, paper towels, coffee grounds and other things not likely to stink in the short term.

Great thread, thanks.

I put one of these Hanging Storage Bags in my van and keep it filled with clothes for trips. 
Hanging Wardrobe Garment Storage Bag.jpeg

Attachments

• Hanging Wardrobe Garment Storage Bag.jpeg
    Hanging Wardrobe Garment Storage Bag.jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 14
VJG1977 said:
I put one of these Hanging Storage Bags in my van and keep it filled with clothes for trips. 

I like your hanging bag idea, keeps dust away  :D I'll have to search out a shorter one for shirts, skirts & pants. I fold & hang to keep a short closet. 

The ziploc bag of food scraps in freezer was a great idea.

Tote bin and dryer sheets is very good. I was thinkin of getting a small enclosed luggage storage bin that (edit: goes on my roof) using it for the dirty clothes bin.

If you actually have a closet, lining it with cedar boards will help ward off any bugs that may wander in and keep them out of your clothes. A ladies nylon or a fine mesh laundry bag with cedar shavings can also work in smaller confined areas.

And Goodwill said:
 I was thinkin of getting a small enclosed luggage storage bin that (edit: goes on my roof) using it for the dirty clothes bin.

I've done this for years with a Yakima roof box. Aerodynamic, narrow, & long providing the capacity without the bulk up top. Anything that got soiled like dirty laundry, muddy boots, even the wet canopy/chairs (until the next camp to set up & dry) went in up there. Mounted it extreme passenger side as it opened on that side & I could step up to it at the vans side entry. This was all done during the backpacking & truck camping years when I'd leave it at the trailhead & walk in to camp for a while. The box is about the size of a 100W panel, so that can be an issue for some.

Maybe a "semi-flex" panel could be mounted right to the top of it!

John61CT said:
Maybe a "semi-flex" panel could be mounted right to the top of it!

That's a good idea. Maybe two 50 Watt panels on top of a bin? I'm not sure if the 50s comes in flex style. 
Somtin to tink about  :idea: and search out? 
My passenger area of roof is empty, in front of the two 100W panels.

rm.w/aview said:
I've done this for years with a Yakima roof box etc...

Thank you! Now I'm seriously thinking on shopping around for a dirty clothes roof bin.  :D

In having an overnight thinking on previous posts, they all stood out as adaptable for my needs versus wants. Thank you all for your time and thoughtful & creative input which is valuable to me. 

I could not find a right size right height hanging clothes bag for my van needs but I really liked the idea & function. I am now planning for custom sewing a hanging clothes bag for keeping clothes clean & dust free. It will be interesting project & I have fabric on hand. 
The bottom is rectangular, and will have a layer of cedar boards in the bottom which could also hold my shoes. I will buy good quality cedar closet boards. 

I put smelly dryer sheets in clean clothes bin, and in dirty clothes bin which is soon on its way to van roof bin.

I am now shopping around online for a roof rack dirty clothes bin and have $445 to play with. 
For an older couple I'm friends with locally, I earned $225 last weekend for wiring a new water heater, and replacing 2 (very old) breakers, one bad & one intermittent, in their main breaker box. I also did their annual basic Income Taxes online & getting them $1900 in returns State & Fed. 
I sold three of my nicer "saved for sale" items at 1/3 new value and earned $220.

In the back 2 corners of my van, using 2 inch S hooks for each bag in brass ringed eyeholes, I'd sewn 2 large hanging heavy cloth bags to use for YARN storage and knitting/crochet tools. When I wish to do needlework, I unhook the bag & carry it to my chosen area. 

I am also cruising with an idea on planning another heavy cloth bag to go into the middle back door area of the two corner bags. Maybe not, it would block my overhead lighting just inside back doors. There is a workaround for that, when I discover it. I may suspend a bag from ceiling hooks using 1/4" chains.
I am also contemplating suspending a stretchy net bag I have just in front of clothes rod, once meant for a minivan rear opening for groceries but will stretch well to width of van. It would hold lots of lightweight things.  
Storage is everywhere with a bit of creativity and using what you have on hand.

Small plastic cable clamps normally used when routing cables for TV/Net, that has a nail attached to hammer into wood in a cabinet or on shelves, can hold down canned food racks, plate racks.

Early on, I used a length of typical white cable TV cable, a few of those clamps to use as a stop at front edge of shelf to keep things like boxes or ? from sliding out while driving. Is very low profile, hardly noticeable, but it did the job well.

I used a clean plastic bottle, Stanley knife easily cut 3/4" wide strips, 2 to 3" long. Folded once around tubing for a tubing clamp, up under countertop for routing my water tubing then tie downs. Fastened each strap with one 1/2" wood screw.
Different types of plastic bottles are different thickness of plastic.

Simple .

When I hit the road I waved goodbye to clothing that needed hangers or ironing. Everything folds. Off-season things are in a bin under the bed. Dirty clothes go in a mesh scuba bag, also under the bed.

MrNoodly said:
When I hit the road I waved goodbye to clothing that needed hangers or ironing. Everything folds. Off-season things are in a bin under the bed. Dirty clothes go in a mesh scuba bag, also under the bed.
For me, everything cannot fold or go in a bin, those items that can be, will be. I have to wear certain clothing which must be stored on hangers & kept clean odor free for certain venues I work at, of which each type of venue does require certain and 4 basic colorways in dress up or dress down styles from casual dress to high style & occasionally requires my wearing a black & white satin tuxedo suit - of all things. Pink, blue, yellow & black gets it all covered.
But I enjoy my paid skilled job which I have done for nearly 30 years and the food & entertainment is always free for the day.

Have you considered hanging clothes on a rod coming away from the wall vs parallel to the wall. Closet space would then be deep vs long and may lessen its effect on surroundings.

rm.w/aview said:
Have you considered hanging clothes on a rod coming away from the wall vs parallel to the wall. Closet space would then be deep vs long and may lessen its effect on surroundings.
Thank you. I just put that idea to a friend who is starting their van build. I'm now thinking on a round steel pipe base & a short length of pipe screwed into the base.
I did consider, but my clothes rod is side to side in rear of van, used for more than just clothes. My special job clothes takes up about 20 inches width x 30" height. Was reason for overwhelming joy for the ideas for a fitted bag & having a cedar base for insect free. 

TBH, I found the length of ~1 1/4" steel chain link upper fence pipe in the trash 5 years ago and saved it for 3 years. It would have gone into a dump.

Sounds good, like it's all coming together. I have this vision of a floor to ceiling cabinet directly behind driver's seat with access from the front, upper section with hanger rod coming away from the wall for those items with room for folded clothes below & on top off the shelf partition. Below this, in the lower section, would be the electronics wall, as the battery bank is on the other side behind driver seat, with room for tote storage behind a second cabinet door that matches the upper one. That upper section with hanging clothes is also accessible from the side, above the counter top, and used more often for the hanging clothes.

Does anyone have a tip for shoes? I have two pair of hiking boots, two pair of Chacos and the shoes on my feet. I wrote in my notebook "No cardboard, cockroaches like it," so I need something other shoe storage method other than the shoe boxes.

waldenbound said:
Does anyone have a tip for shoes? I have two pair of hiking boots, two pair of Chacos and the shoes on my feet. I wrote in my notebook "No cardboard, cockroaches like it," so I need something other shoe storage method other than the shoe boxes.

I have two pair UGGS winter boots, a knee high and above ankle boot. I need to do something similar for storage off season. 

I'm thinking of cutting down the longer plastic file cabinet to use as a storage box to fit (maybe) both pairs, then using metal strips for strengthening the back mounting side of plastic, putting metal screws through & into the van's vertical ribs. For a flat lid using aluminum or craft hinges (scavenged from old vent dome lid from RV salvage yard) and some foam gasket strips on lid to make a functioning seal against the cut edge of base filing box, then using a screw & nut on lid & box to secure a 1" wide and 3" long strip of Velcro for a closure/lock onto a patch of opposing side of Velcro. 

I'm also looking on Amazon at other locking lid storage bins which could be mounted as above described, to van's ribs. It's a "work in progress" thinking stage.

Velcro strips, can't live without that stuff. Velcro, taken to space by NASA.

waldenbound said:

Several options for hanging shoe storage.
FabricOverdoorShoeBag2.jpg or FabricShoeBag.jpg

You could cut down the over the door shoe bag and use one or two rows.
FabricOverdoorShoeBag3.jpg

Attachments

• FabricOverdoorShoeBag2.jpg
    FabricOverdoorShoeBag2.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 5
  • FabricShoeBag.jpg
    FabricShoeBag.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 5
  • FabricOverdoorShoeBag3.jpg
    FabricOverdoorShoeBag3.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 7