Under Van Storage works Good

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groovy2

Reaction score
this is a Under Van storage idea I used on my Full size Transit Van -

Transit van has a large ground clearance and the frame members 
are high above the ground -

This May work with other types of van with some design changes -
but the overall design Idea has been solid -

measurements and box sizes will need to be changed for your brand of van/RV

(These specs / measurements were written for Full Size Ford Transit van-)

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Full size Ford Tansit van there is room for two 26 inch long Kobalt tool boxes with extra space[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]for another 10 inch long box [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]so 62 inch long space available between rear spring mount and fuel tank hose area [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]boxes hang down 1.5 inches lower than bottom of fuel tank -[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I used 3/16 stainless steel wire cable that is plastic coated - 20 ish feet -[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]cable is rated at 185 Lbs -[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5 X cables with cable clamps that are the kind with 2 nuts and U clamp[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]dont know they are called -[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5 cut cables are attached under van at Cross brace Joints join to the main inner frame-[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]clamp U bolt thing is used to form loop in cable and hold in place[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]( there is a thru hole at cross brace mount area )[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]for boxes I used the cables came out to Exactly 11 inches from bottom of cross brace[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]to bottom of rack -[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Loop of cable goes around Bottom thick Rod of rack to form Loop and cable is secured [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]with cable U clamp gizmo - [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Leave extra 8 inches of cable (each end) to make it easier to pull things tight and easier to work with -[/font]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]the rack for boxes to sit on is 2X 6 foot long 12 inch wide Wire shelves from Lowes -[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]the 2 racks are stacked up one on top of each other to form a U shaped channel -[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I cut 5 inches off EACH end of the racks/shelves next to the brace that stiffens the L[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]why the designer added the extra 5 inches on each end section baffles me -[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]but cutting this extra piece off worked out great for my purpose -[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I zip tied the 2 racks together just to hold in place- then tied them together with thick cord-[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]came out very strong - wrapping cord around bottom thick rods to hold together - [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]full length - Both sides - cut zip ties off when done-[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I spray painted the with racks black with Krylon rattle can paint (before adding rope)[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Krylon paint suckkks just as bad ad it Always has - [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]stayed sticky for 24 hours even in direct texas sun and 100 f temps -[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I will Never buy that  again -[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]could not find black rope to tie racks together and had to use white rope[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]so im going to spray it black with $1 cheapie paint from lowes[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]its much better quality the the Krylon dribble -[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]at access boxes the rack swings Down on Outer side -[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]to Hold the Outer part of rack UP in place I used 3 thick Chain links that were cut[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]using the hydraulic chain cutter at lowes -[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]this cutter puts a Bend in the cut link - forms kind of a bent/twisted Hook -[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]got for free by asking lowes man for them - he had a 100s of them[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]and they worked perfect for what I needed -[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Under van in Inner/outer wall there is some holes that the bent chain link[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]fit into Perfectly - forms a real nice hook that wont fall out and is plenty strong -[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](im going to drill 2 extra holes for hooks but I dont have access to my stepper drill[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]at the moment but rack will have 5 hooks / ropes total when finished -[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I used a truckers Chinch knot with strong cord to pull racks up tight against bottom[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]of boxes and van frame / floor - - not going anywhere -does not even jiggle at all -[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]( cord wraps around Bottom Thick rod )[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Im going to add a small chain with a lock for security -[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There is room for a 3rd box behind drivers rear wheel and may add box there -[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]but I have done enough crawling around on hot pavement to last me for a while -[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]total cost was $80 ish -[/font]

Picture taken UNDER van showing ground clearance are distorted by camera
actual is better shown in TOP picture -  Jay -- 

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]this is what van with boxes installed looks like[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
LB11ai5h.jpg
[/img][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 tool boxes that fit under van -[/font]

Y1d3Tqhh.jpg
[/img][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]cables attached to van frame and to metal shelf -[/font]

tOEviNph.jpg
[/img][/font]

kW0s5qBh.jpg
[/img][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hook that slides into hole in van to hold shelf tight in place[/font]

ssNpn4qh.jpg
[/img][/font]

avSzIB4h.jpg
[/img][/font]

A5EjmTth.jpg
[/img][/font]

interesting idea, going to have to check my van to see if there is room for water tanks. would save me tons of interior room, even if i have to figure out how to put multiple ones under there lol

dirt roads are OK the ground clearance is reduces by 2 inches - not much -
fuel tank that is next to boxes hangs down almost as much-
big rocky roads will have to drive more carefully -

pictures taken from down low had distorted view -
clearance is more than it looks in the last 2 pictures -

Nice creative use of space.
What do you store in them?
Waterproofing the boxes necessary or is the top lip sufficient to keep it dry?

boxes are well made and so far boxes seem to be water tight -
seal O ring is square lip of flexible rubberish material -
seal is held in place in several areas -

Top Lid does not have any holes or seams to leak-

drove about 25 miles through pouring rain inside both boxes completely dry- Nice
top latching clasp are pretty nice- Metal - - better than most Ive seen -
these Kobata boxes are well made for the price $25 -

so far carrying Motorcycle crash gear type stuff in boxes-
pretty sure will handle fair amount of weight -
shelf assembly is pretty strong -
so far boxes have not moved at all -

Trucker chinch knot holds boxes against frame Very Tight - Jay -