O2 safety in a van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff613

Reaction score
Someone here not too long ago said it was "impossible" to run out of or displace a critical/needed amount of O2 in a van with one person inside it, everything closed up. Um, are we sure about that? And i mean "bet-your-life" sure? What says that can't happen? Where is the granite slab with that chiseled in it? Has anyone done the math as far as fresh air volume vs. CO2 output per minute of an adult? Has anyone had to slide the side door open and stumble into the wal-mart parking lot gasping for air sporting blue lips? I mean, having freezing air working it's way into your van isn't an option, but neither is some cop forcing their way into your van after the truck stop manager complains that it's been suspiciously unbudged there and fully blacked out for a week. *shudders*

And i know they make carbon monoxide detectors, but the human body lets off carbon DIoxide. Do they make a detector for that, and why not?

Okay i'm just throwng this out there for discussion. Let's not suffocate the messenger...

Jeff...

Caseyc. Something else to worry you?
Just get a low oxygen alarm. just remember the sensor element needs to be changed yearly.
Or light the candle, if the flame goes out, get out.
Or a caged bird. If it falls off it's perch, you be in trouble.

casey, didn't you recently post that you have three detectors in your van? I think the OP is really you on a different computer.:rolleyes:

Zil said:
Just get a low oxygen alarm. just remember the sensor element needs to be changed yearly.

That's interesting. I've never seen a low oxygen alarm and didn't know they were available.

I did know that some heaters had a built in low oxygen sensor and would shut off safely before using it all up.

If they use the same technology, and if the sensors need to be changed yearly, that implies that the feature may no longer be functional on older heaters.

I gotta look in to this more . . .

Thanks

Regards
John

I do not know how the low oxygen sensor works on those heaters. The one we used to check before entering a confined space needed to be replaced each year.

I was just gonna grow a few plants in the front seat, that's how it works in nature, right? You exhale carbon dioxide, they inhale carbon dioxide?
Also if I did it right, I could grow breakfast in the front seat.

Gaunt Dusk said:
I was just gonna grow a few plants in the front seat, that's how it works in nature, right? You exhale carbon dioxide, they inhale carbon dioxide?

..or smoke it... Willy.

Yes, I have 3 separate CO detectors. No, the OP and I are different paranoid persons, we are not the same person. :p:p I've slept in my van for extended periods of time on various occasions, and have yet to die from lack of oxygen. That said, I do keep both front windows cracked down for ventilation at all times. I suppose I could buy a 4th detector for low oxygen, but I don't even know where to get one. :D

willy, don't forget to hyper ventilate.
caseyc, if the fire goes out you need more air.
:)

Gaunt Dusk said:
Plants give oxygen during the day and carbon dioxide at night.

low o2 meters can be bought at mining supply or confined space companies. they are kind of expensive. I think they must be certified every year to meet osha or msha regs to be legal. but that doesn't mean they don't work. I have a msa explosive gas meter wish I would have got the low o2 add on. for sleeping in a vehicle just crack a window if you are worried. highdesertranger

Green plants exhale CO2 but they exhale much more oxygen. The balance is way over on the oxygen side.