Now a Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ValerieP

Reaction score
I posted before that I was looking for a class c, but the mileage I would have to inherit for what I'm willing to pay would be too great. Plus, it would just be too much- big, etc
So, now I'm looking at a van- I looked at Roadtreks, but I would still be buying an older higher mileage and they looked too crowded for me. 
I think over the next couple of years, I'll combine the van with a small TT
I want a wider newer model van that can tow a small trailer, and I'll put a hi top on the van
I've been reading a ton on here and elsewhere and I think that narrows me to the Dodge Promaster, Ford Transit, or before the Transit, I think Ford 350
I like the Savana l, but it's just not wide enough.
Am I on the right track or am I missing something?
Thanks!

I don't believe the Ford E series is wider than the Express/Savanah. If they are it is no more than an inch or two but I don't think so. The Chevy does curve in more as it goes up and is about 2 inches narrower at the top.

Thanks Bob,
I am so over my head here that I'm had to google Ford e series! I see they are what the transit has replaced. I imagine this van build will be really slow- which will be ok since I have a TT that we are in now- I just really need my own space and a newer tow vehicle. I am finally excited about how I will go forward- I can park the van as though it were my car but it'll be my room, and great for all of us to travel in in the summer. I think I've read a book of blogs and forum posts so far- thanks for having this forum here!

Confused about what you want. The newer platforms aren't so much wider as they are "squarer" and taller/longer. Several forum members have either Ford Transit or the Dodge Promaster's. A few have the Sprinter, but not too many. 

If you have the cash to spend on the new platform then your build will be easier yes, but when you talk about towing a trailer, now you are stressing the drivetrain. The new platforms can tow but I dont think nearly as well as the "old" platform models like the V8 3/4 ton Express or E250/350. 

So look (personally) at the new platforms (U Haul has quite a few of the low roof cargo's now) and decide what you want first. Unless $$ rule, you will be able to choose between a late model "old" platform like Bob Wells did, you a used ex-fleet "new" platform.

Maybe that is true. I re watched Bob's video and he said the van was 6ft wide...

Are you looking for a Class B that is already done like the Roadtrek or more of a cargo van that you will do you own build out of. When I thing Roadtrek I think of a nice B but I know what you mean in that they feel a little crowded inside. But any cargo van that gets built out can start to get a little crowded as well.

If you aren't too tall then most of the vans you can build a van across the back which helps save quite a bit of room. I did my van that way because I'm only 5' 10". If I were much taller I would have had to design differently.

I looked at Class Bs, but for what I would be willing to pay, they had too many miles or seemed to old for me to deal with. I am not very mechanically minded. And they were so crowded, I wouldn't be able to carry what I want to carry. I'm also having a TT, so the van will tow it periodically, and when it's not, it'll be a bedroom and a place to hang out. In the summer it might be all I travel with, but I won't put much more than what I had in my Cargo Trailer- porta-potty, propane stove, bed, chairs, dogs, and stuff.
I will most likely also put an air conditioner because I'm in Nevada Aug-May.

I did go measure the width of a Chevy Express Van and it was 71 inches across the back- plenty of room for a bed that'll fit 5'6" me!
I am seeing I will have a lot of options
Somehow, I thought the Chevy vans were only a bit over 4ft wide.

Minivans are about 60" wide, give or take. 

Gideon33 has a van for sale in the Trading Post, he just built it, Chevy Express. Only wants $6K and he has a good forum rep.

Thanks! He's done a nice job on it, but I want something newer. I still have a lot of thinking and researching to do!

The Promaster is 75.6 inches wide and I've personally measured my 2012 Express to be 76 or pretty close at its widest spot above the wheel wells.

For some reason the width measurements are hard to find- thank you!

Valerie, the 4 foot you were probably thinking of is the measurement between the wheel wells. They usually measure about 49" - 50" so a standard 4x8 piece of plywood can slide into the cargo vans.

Thanks- figuring the measurements in a van is harder than the cargo trailer I had! I appreciate the clarification! I am getting little excited about all this. It was a bit humorous yesterday when I went to the dealership to measure because the sales person thought he had me! Little does he know... I have a lot more looking and thinking to do!