Not good for van dwellers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
travelaround said:
Shouldn't reflect on all vandwellers because most people would not want pet rats.
It shouldn't but it will.

Id rather it be a reflection on California than on Van dwellers...

Maybe just Cali van dwellers??  LOL...

Pretty sad for the woman really. I like all animals including rats but I don’t want 350 of anything. I did have about that many chickens once. But they weren’t in the house...

If, or should I say when it gets to one of those social websites
and starts trending. It will IMHO be re-posted until most everyone
that is not a van dweller thinks it is a reality.

Hopefully it will be beneficial to the homeless problem in this country,
and the world.

Cammalu said:
Pretty sad for the woman really. I like all animals including rats but I don’t want 350 of anything. I did have about that many chickens once.  But they weren’t in the house...
I agree. Mental illness is a tragic nightmare. I don't know what her story is...and who am I to judge what should be determined mentally ill.

In India they have sects that worship rats and treat them as holy. I think she would raise more off gundfund me in India than in the States. American society looks at her as a mentally ill person needing pity and treatment. In India she is an enlightened saint.

My pet=your dinner.

The World is an amazing place. There is no truth..

Oh how society needs Darwinism to be the dominant paradigm.

Wow! Two rats quickly became 320!

It sounds like she was using her van as a giant cage, rather than actually living in it. The rats chewed through seats and wiring. The article makes it sound like the van may have been parked and stationary.

I don’t understand why she didn’t separate the rats by gender in different cages once they had the first litter. She could’ve sold the extra babies to a local pet store.

This doesn’t sound like a “van dweller” article. It sounds more like a hoarder article. Hopefully others will see it that way too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most likely zero cities will take any actions influenced by this article. But a lot of people who like to post bizarre stories will jump on it.

That whole thing is ridiculous. Just like all the time, they find people with 100 cats in their homes, on and on. One off craziness. So, just drive to boonies, open the door, and set the rats free. There are billions of them already in the world, the most successful mammal of all in evolutionary terms.
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/how-many-rats-are-there-in-the-world.html

I wish I had a pet rat in my van to eat the mice that eat my rice. :heart:

I would highly doubt anything will come of this. The thing that makes cities enact overnight parking bans is when the homelessness epidemic spreads to their town. Being homeless is sadly a criminal offense in this country and as apposed to actually doing something about it, the usual "remedy" is to pass reactionary laws that push the homeless out and into the next town. And we the people living like this by choice feel the consequences of such laws being passed.

orangeclouds said:
... as apposed to actually doing something about it ...
There have been threads about this in the recent past. The numbers are kind of interesting, but people don't seem to want to look at them. 

https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=37723

CA has something like 130,000 homeless, which is about 50% of the total in the entire US. Heck, I remember reading a couple of years ago, that Vegas was actually putting their homeless on a bus to CA with $20 and a 1-way ticket. 

I did some checking as a result of what people were saying in the thread cited, and CA spends at least $1 Billion a year on the homeless issue, and hands out a total of $90 Billion to the poor, in medicaid, welfare, and homeless support. Yeah well, maybe they should be doing $180 Billion.

@Qxxx

I will admit, I'd not looked into these numbers, but your post inspired me to do so. From what I can tell, the numbers you're presenting are correct. And the "nothing is being done about this" stance I had was wrong, at least in the case of California. Now I'm sitting here thinking this is an extremely complex issue that I really cant wrap my mind around. How can you throw so much money at something and the issue clearly still keeps getting worse and worse? 90 billion seems more than plenty to house, clothe and feed 130,000 people per year. But obviously those aren't the results. I'm at a loss here and all I can say is the system is failing. We need a new one, I'm sure 99% of the mentally stable homeless would much rather not be.

Well, not all 100 of them... they are awfully good and affectionate pets though.

I have worked hard for several years to avoid the emotional and physical burden of "owning" a pet after having several. I have found plenty of animals that I enjoy watching in their natural habitat taking care of themselves much more rewarding, even though several have tried to move in! LOL!!!