North to Alaska

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sure you know but have your antifreeze and fluids checked.  I keep antifreeze to -40 at a minimum.  I run synthetic oil in winter for easier starts.  Ensure your battery and charging system is in top shape, I would have it checked to be sure, cheap insurance.  I had a friend driving a few years ago and he was stuck for several days due to parking overnight and not being able to start the next day.  Had to get tow to heated shop and thaw it out.  I would also carry more gas than you think you need and fill up at every opportunity.  It is sometimes far between open stations in the winter.  Many also seem to close early.  I usually try and run my car at least 15 minutes or so every 3 or 4 hours if I am overnighting in the far north such as Fairbanks.  More often or longer if it is really cold.  Nothing to be overly concerned with but you should be prepared to keep yourself warm if you have a break down.  But you probably know that.  In South Central AK I do not have a garage and simply start my vehicle and drive to work each day.  Not a big deal if you have prepared your vehicle.  I have not driven the Alcan in the winter but others have told me the same thing you were told here.  You got some good advice.

Thank you for the advice. We will be traveling with a camper on the back of our truck up to wasilla. Its pretty well equipped with everything to keep warm including a backup propane buddy heater that can be used to warm the engine/battery if it gets too cold. Set it on the ground and drape a tarp over the front end. We also have 2 gas cans. One that is 5 gallons and one that is 2 gallons of 2 stroke if absolutely necessary. I work at a dealership and plan on going over the truck with a fine toothed comb before the trip.

We have decided to take the spring trip to better prepare. We could leave before the end of the year, but that would be pushing it and May sounds much better. Gonna try to be there right as the breakup happens so we can check out a couple pieces of land to see if they flood.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

There is a gravel parking lot across from the Laird River Hot Springs Park entrance. It's considered overflow camping for the Park. In the summer, if you arrive after 10pm or if the campground is full, you can park/camp there for free. There is an outhouse and dumpster. I don't remember if it was gated but I do know it was kinda "outlaw" land, meaning no one from the park really enforced anything. I'm pretty sure the park is closed during winter.

I just finished driving up to Alaska yesterday. I thought of your post along the way and figured I'd let you know some things I thought of.

1. If you're coming from a warm climate have your tires filled with nitrogen! I had an oil change and tire rotation in Las Vegas before driving north. My pressure dropped almost 15psi along the way.

2. Figure out an alternate heat source. It was already reaching -20°F along the way. Be prepared. My bunk heater couldn't keep up with it. Sometimes driving is the warmest.

3. Seeing as there's only 5-6 hours of daylight I highly recommend getting one of those LED light bars. I seemed to be the only one that didn't have one. Just please don't forget to turn them off while approaching another vehicle. I lost count of the number of times I came to a stop because I was blinded.

4. From what I remember most "official" pullouts (rest areas) were plowed in BC and Alaska along the AlCan. The Yukon didn't keep up as well, but still had some. If it was a trailhead or other type of park they mostly weren't plowed anywhere. Once I turned off the AlCan in Tok fewer pullouts were plowed, but still had the occasional. All this said, their primary focus is the road. So if you're traveling during a storm or soon after there may be fewer spots.

5. Not sure what you're driving, but I'd recommend not passing a gas station with under 1/2 a tank. On my drive down in September I filled up 4 times while in Canada. On my way back up I stopped 7-8 times to get gas. Not that I needed it, but didn't want to get into trouble and not have it.

6. Drive safely!!! Drive the speed you feel comfortable with, but don't be shocked to see a semi crawling up your rear if you aren't going 90-100km/h. Just pull over and slow down to let them by. If you don't, they get rather angry.

7. Canada is expensive, bring all your food with you. I see a lot of people carrying extra gas cans. I don't think the weight/drag is worth it. Most major cities have 24hr pay at the pump now. Just know most places you leave your card in the pump for a bit and they authorize up to $200 on it, then you remove it and pump. Several times I had to start over as I was use to the quick slide we use here in the states.

Let me know if there's anything you want more info on.

climbing coastie said:
I just finished driving up to Alaska yesterday. I thought of your post along the way and figured I'd let you know some things I thought of.
Glad you made it.  Don't freeze...

Be sure to buy a Alaska Mile Post Travel Book for the current year. It will have gas stations & hotels listed that are open during that time of year. Start looking for a gas station when you are at 1/2 tank. Some of the animals will not move out of your way, you must slow down and not hit them. Happy Trails!