No-refrigeration foods

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate that rice is high carb because I could almost live on it. Not friendly to my blood sugar.

highdesertranger said:
for rice I like Uncle Ben's enriched parboiled rice.  it has many more nutrients and 0 sodium.  plus it keeps well.  I flavor it as I see fit.  comparing minute rice to flavored rice really isn't fair.   highdesertranger
Another new word ... parboiled. Just have to keep reading the packages, all 50,000,000 of them. Amazing that Uncle Ben's Ready Rice has 600 mg sodium and they also sell other stuff with 0 mg. The marketing world is very weird. Who are those people?

We use plain rice bought in ~25lb sacks, Hom Mali variant from Surin province in Thailand, very tasty, cheap and zero salt, until we add the stirfry/stew/soup/gravy/chili/curry/gumbo mushroom soy that is.

Depending how many people eating, go through a sack in 3-8 weeks.

Potatoes pasta breads pumpkins yams as well, love our carbs, but veggies most of all.

I really like keeping some dehydrated stuff around. Raisins are fairly cheap and cranberries, supposedly fantastic for the urinary tract, aren't much more so.

My absolute new favorites are dried cranberries as well as coconut (YUMMM!) And pineapple. All three of those dried fruits are very good. I have to be careful, I could eat them like candy. I went a little crazy, last night, with the coconut and my blood sugar this morning was 190. So, yeah. Gotta remember the whole 'in moderation' thing, but so very hard to do when you have the nutty, sweet chewy goodness right in front of you. Oh, I almost forgot. Dark Chocolate covered dried cherries. Holy guacamole. That stuff is criminally good. I won't bother to mention my blood sugars though. The bag didn't last long and the shot was worth it.

Moderation in all things. Seems to me that, given the realities of the cheap RV lifestyle, we need to more or less emulate the tenets of Stoicism. Oh well, the spirit is willing, the rest is probably just sophomoric idealism. Someone pass the salt shaker.

Wisdom
Justice
Temperance
Fortitude
- Marcus Aurelius

Dennis said:
I hate that rice is high carb because I could almost live on it.  Not friendly to my blood sugar.

Same here.  It mixes with just about anything, including just about any sauces or spices, costs virtually nothing, lasts forever, and can be stored in just about any container at almost any temperature.  

Not an ideal food though.  But I hear that brown rice doesn't rank as high on the glycemic index.  I may buy only that in the future.

Actually, I like quinoa quite a lot, and it is a much more protein-rich, complete food ... but unless you look very carefully for bargains, it can be very expensive.

QinReno said:
Moderation in all things. Seems to me that, given the realities of the cheap RV lifestyle, we need to more or less emulate the tenets of Stoicism. Oh well, the spirit is willing, the rest is probably just sophomoric idealism. Someone pass the salt shaker.

Wisdom
Justice
Temperance
Fortitude
- Marcus Aurelius

As Robert Kraft once sang, "Everything in moderation, honey ... and moderation's the first to go."

And as Oscar Wilde once said, "I can resist everything, except temptation."

Itripper said:
Ramen, not healthy but just Google ramen recipes, with the right ingredients it is so yummy! Egg, scallions and sesame oil mmmm.

I met a Vietnamese couple who showed me how to prepare Ramen with a little bit of meat or hard boiled egg for protein, for a bit of zip they use sriracha sauce and lemon or lime juice. I've been eating it that way ever since (eek I just realised that equals half my life)

Cheers folks, Lois

Dingfelder said:
 . . . But I hear that brown rice doesn't rank as high on the glycemic index.  I may buy only that in the future.

Brown rice is a much more nutritious food than white rice but it does not keep as well.  It retains the oils that are stripped away in processing white rice (the oils get rancid over time).  BUT I have been able to keep it for a year or more by packaging it in small, air tight containers.

Hi all at the dollar store they have non refrigerated milk comes in med size cartons lot better then powder milk.

Dingfelder said:
As Robert Kraft once sang, "Everything in moderation, honey ... and moderation's the first to go."

And as Oscar Wilde once said, "I can resist everything, except temptation."
It was easy for Marcus Aurelius to be a Stoic when he lived in a palace and was emperor over half the world. Stoicism is not for everyone.

this is the non refrigerated milk its 1% taste good to me
0806181352a.jpg

Attachments

• 0806181352a.jpg
    0806181352a.jpg
    1,018.6 KB · Views: 8
I thoroughly scramble an egg or two and stir it in at the end very quickly; even easier if you do it with some of the liquid in the bottom of the bowl. if you stir it in quickly enough, you don't get scrambled eggs but a thicker broth with a gently egg-y taste. And a nice cheap protein boost.

I'm a huge fan of sesame oil in ramen, too. Right at the end.

Thanks Dingfelder, add a few peas and it would be like egg drop soup, and peas have a certain amount of protein too and I am going to Google Ramen recipes.

I recently evicted a hoarder from here and all the JUNK he left behind, we've sorted and I'm finding a lot of things I can use in my trailer. I'm going to swap out some things I put in the trailer for some of the multi-purpose items I've found.

Having a green thumb, I'm going to try to grow some herbs whenever I'm parked for a while and then dry them for use over Winter. I have a big garden and can take cuttings off the herbs I have to start that project.

capttzuzu; Not fond of 1% milk, but I'll check the dollar store in town to see if they have it. If you add 1 cup of 2% powdered milk to 1 quart of full fat milk you get "enriched milk" which I'm supposed to have for protein. Don't know how it would taste in tea, I'll try it and see if I like it before I do any travelling.

Up here in some stores you can also get goat's milk in tetra paks that doesn't need refrigeration until opened and if I don't like the 1%, I'll go with the goat's milk if I can find it. Having had goats, I know their milk is easier to digest than cow's milk and its not bad in tea. (Tea-holic here)

Cheers, Lois

Spaceman Spiff said:
Brown rice is a much more nutritious food than white rice but it does not keep as well.  It retains the oils that are stripped away in processing white rice (the oils get rancid over time).  BUT I have been able to keep it for a year or more by packaging it in small, air tight containers.

Thanks, that's good to know.  A year is plenty for me.  And I try to package everything as small and air-tight as I can.

GreyWulf said:
I absolutely love my Hamburger Helper but it's hard keeping hamburger fresh so I'm learning how to can my meat there's many videos on YouTube on how to do it here is one;

Small town mom/pop groceries are your best bet to repackage ground meat into single serving package size. Buy, cook and eat- no problem.  I am trying to go plant based myself but plan on a holiday feat now and then.

yugogypsy1963 said:
Having a green thumb, I'm going to try to grow some herbs whenever I'm parked for a while and then dry them for use over Winter. I have a big garden and can take cuttings off the herbs I have to start that project.
That sounds like a cool to do.  So many herbs grow so easily and so well, too, basically like weeds.  Here in the PNW, we can hardly stop anything in the mint family, which also includes oregano and marjoram, from growing.  I only grow them in separate pots and never throw any of it live out into the bushes, though, as their runners are extremely invasive.  
Pretty fun to have an easy success, though.
But those at least do need a lot of sunlight to reach anything like their real potential.