Seitan Pepperoni

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I posted this yesterday, I guess not.

I have a book called The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery. Among hundreds of ways to do just about anything yourself, there is a recipe in there for making seitan from wheat flour. I think it would be fun.

Since it requires washing dough with water, I dont think it would be for me unless I happened to be in a park with hookups. I begrudge water going down the drain so much that I now cook pasta in just enough water for it all to absorb.

I hope you do try it and tell us if it was fun or too much work. There is a youtube video of a lady who settles the starch in the wash water and, after pouring off excess water, makes crepes with the starch. Didnt look much like the crepes that I make, but still interesting!

BTW, that book reminds me of the old foxfire books. I remember being impressed with how much how to was in those.

I actually met Carla Emery once. She was giving talks at Lehman's Hardware in Kidron, OH. They were a sponsor for a homesteading message board I used to run. I mentioned I was single and within 5 min she was ready to hook me up with one of several Christian homesteader guys looking for wives. I backpedaled quickly. She was fairly newly married and thought it was a wonderful thing. Her new husband seemed nice and seemed to really care about her as well. Oddly, her main talk was about setting up a solar system on an off grid homestead.

She started out selling her book as a 3-ring binder at the barter faires in NE WA. There used to be as lot of them (and I'd go to most) but now I think there's only the big one at Tonasket.