Nissan NV200

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cynanne

Reaction score
I want to convert a Nissan nv200. I am looking to buy a pre owned and possibly finance it. It should probably have less than 30000 miles on it and no older than 2014. I live in southern california currently and will go mobile. Does anyone have an opinion on this compact van and the benefits of converting this over for example a toyota sienna or minivan? I would want a fantastic fan created for the ceiling. This will be for one person and I would not be putting in a full kitchen just a mini tiny one. I have limited car experience and hear that this is a well made vehicle. Any input or suggestions? Thanks.

The big difference between this van and any minivan is interior height. You won't be able to stand up but you can sit upright.

I posted my thoughts in another thread a few days ago. It is tight but if having a small vehicle is important it is a good compromise.

I think the little NV is a great choice in the minicargo segment. Plenty of discussions on this forum about it.    The 2014 and up years look solid from a reliability standpoint.

Pro:
  • tallest cargo area in the segment, meaning more headroom in the back
  • best warranty in the segment.  It has a 5yr/100K warranty, and I assume it's transferable.  It was also sold as a Chevy City Express but that would have a much shorter warranty.  
  • most ground clearance in the segment
The only drawback (and I don't personally consider it to be one) is I think the only transmission option is CVT.  Some people hate that on principle.  In theory it is awesome.  Nissan had problems with an earlier version predominantly in the Altima and everyone made a bitter beer face.  I don't see pattern failures in the NV200's cvt.

I have only recently started adding minicargo specs to the cargo van comparo rvwiki article, but it might be worth a look.

frater secessus said:
I think the little NV is a great choice in the minicargo segment. Plenty of discussions on this forum about it.    The 2014 and up years look solid from a reliability standpoint.

Pro:
  • tallest cargo area in the segment, meaning more headroom in the back
  • best warranty in the segment.  It has a 5yr/100K warranty, and I assume it's transferable.  It was also sold as a Chevy City Express but that would have a much shorter warranty.  
  • most ground clearance in the segment
The only drawback (and I don't personally consider it to be one) is I think the only transmission option is CVT.  Some people hate that on principle.  In theory it is awesome.  Nissan had problems with an earlier version predominantly in the Altima and everyone made a bitter beer face.  I don't see pattern failures in the NV200's cvt.

I have only recently started adding minicargo specs to the cargo van comparo rvwiki article, but it might be worth a look.
Thank you so much-great info! I would think the height would be similar to a minivan like the toyota sienna but the previous poster says otherwise. Am I wrong?

The Sienna's floor to ceiling is something like 41" to 46". The taller dimension is in the recessed area at the back hatch. Since you won't be sleeping in there lets go with 43.5".

The NV is 53" floor to ceiling, or about 10" (!) more headroom.

I think it would be a great little platform for a build. A friend of mine has been shopping for one (just for fun, not dwelling in) and I've accompanied him to a couple of car lots. One thing I noticed is that the lease returns we looked at had been ridden hard and put away wet. The tires seem to be of very poor quality and it looks as though contractors had over loaded the vehicles, which really beat them up. If you're planning to hang onto the van for a long time a new one might be the best option.

There's a website that sells conversion kits for the NV 200. You could have a look at that for build ideas or a kit if you don't feel like doing the work yourself.

Latest posts