NFS signage for cooking and camp fires

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blanch

Reaction score
b482577b4518acb0ebae1dc0ed5ae9dd.jpg

There seems to be some confusion with newbies on proper usage of forest lands. In another thread folks were asking about signage and rules.

You are responsible for knowing the rules in the area you are camped. Signage is usually self explanatory.

This indicates a campfire and a coal cooking fire and an enclosed propane stove. If an activity isn’t allowed a line will be through that activity.

YOU are responsible to know the rules. Pick up your smart phone and call the local NFS or BLM office and ask what the current rules are and what permits are required.

In many areas you are required to have a camp fire permit to even cook on your propane stove. Ask. I get a NFS campfire permit every year. They are free. In some places you can get a ticket for not having a permit. Get your permit! There is no excuse.

After the last few fire seasons have been historically terrible. Unbelievably terrible. Let us all do our part and follow directions, take only pictures, and leave only footprints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great post Blanch. many people don't realize that in California you need a campfire permit for everything, even propane/butane stoves, charcoal BBQ's and campfires. UNLESS you are in an established campground. so in California you must have the permit. they are free and easy to get. I believe they are even available online now, or go to any BLM, Forest Service, or CAL Fire office. I believe any CAL Fire affiliate fire station also has them, but you might want to verify that. highdesertranger

You never need a fire permit to use the stove built into the inside of your RV, right?

patbarb said:
You never need a fire permit to use the stove built into the inside of your RV, right?

I don’t know. I always have a permit.
If you have questions you need to call and ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

patbarb that is true you can use your RV stove without a permit. highdesertranger