Newer higher mileage vs older low mileage Express

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmyflorida

Reaction score
I'm van shopping here in Florida now looking for opinions on which is better a 2015 with 120k or like a 2007 with 40k  just kinda curious on what people's opinions are of the scenario my budget is $10k to $12k to spend on van  thanks for your input

It sounds like the 2015 has been rode hard, and put away wet (old cowboy saying), averaging 30,000 miles a year. You have to wonder if the maintenance has been kept up on it properly.

The 2007 van sounds like a local delivery van that has been used sparingly....this would be my choice.

It all comes down to how well it was taken care of. And that can be difficult to impossible to determine. I've seen ultra high miles vehicles that are like new because they were maintained,...and I've seen 1-year old models beat to crap.

But all things being equal,...I agree that the lower mile van is likely your best bet. I have a 2006 myself, with 218,000+ on it. Now mine is a diesel, which makes a big difference on engine longevity. But it was well maintained, and I am loving it. So far, it has treated me well with reliable service.

In your case, even if the amount of abuse and wear on the drivetrains made them equal,...there are the other bits and pieces in a vehicle that wear over time; the little things, that are not critical, but add up and make things difficult. Stuff like radio knobs, air vent controls and door handles. They all eventually break. But they will break sooner on the van that has seen more miles.

I'm mainly interested in how well a vehicle is maintained. And I always keep in mind that city miles are way harder on a vehicle than highway miles. Just my $.02

Mileage doesn't mean much anymore. These engines go easily to 250k. You pretty much have to take actual age, service history, private vs fleet ownership, etc as a higher priority. A 2015 is right at age for it to start giving issues and needing a bunch of stuff replaced. 2007 shouldve but with that low of miles IDK.

Gonna be whichever was babied more and generally in better shape. Im betting the 07 like everyone else.

make sure check odometer carefully -
I purchased a car a few yrs ago that had been changed 100K miles-
Ouch

I purchased a 2002 with 78k original miles and one owner. It sat for years undriven. I paid $2,700 and put in about $1200 in repairs. Have a mechanic check it out before you buy I should have done that but didn’t....the low mileage fooled me.

I am driving a 91 I bought 10 years ago with 40K on it. I had some cooling issues with it, replaced the water pump and radiator, then after 5 years rebuilt the transmission. Over the years I have bought a lot of vehicles brand new for my landscape business. This one is still running well - it has cost me less per mile than any other vehicle I ever owned.

You can tell a lot from visual inspection and gut feeling. Lift the hood and look for signs of previous service, labels on hoses, rebuilder tags on engine blocks, stickers on alternators, etc. A quick fluid check can tell if it's been serviced, clear sweet smelling coolant (not rusty or dank smelling), clear sweet smelling trans fluid (not burnt), clear smelling engine oil (good combustion). If it has good windshield wipers and the washer works that's always a good sign that someone cared about it. If it looks well taken care of, chances are it was... Check for wear on the drivers seat, especially the edge as the driver steps in and out. Look at the door where people rest their arm, the step well, and the brake pedal for signs of wear. That will inform if it's an original 40k miles and how hard of stop-and-go use. Sometimes sitting can be hard on vehicles, for some reason rubber likes to rot when not in use. Radiators like to clog in the center of the core from sitting. A/C and transmission seals get hard and out of round while sitting. Freeway miles tend to be easier on vehicles than city short trip stop-and-go use. Also, idling can add significant wear on engines and mileage doesn't show idling hours, but some newer computers might. Ford fleet considers each hour of idling to be the equivalent of 33 miles. Ask the seller how it was used to see if idling is a factor. I'd also look very closely for rust and prior collision damage. Is it on a salvage title? It's always a tough call with used vehicles, with so many things to take into consideration. The good news is that you can have it inspected locally and get an informed second opinion from your mechanic.