Newcomer's Introduction

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosnia

Reaction score
Hi,
I am writing to you from Phoenix Arizona. So far I practiced living in smallest room in my house, got Dometic freezer that works great. I am looking for carpenter to remove back seats from my car and build platform for my future bed. Also I am researching safety products for ladies nomads. So far no problems but concerns about how Toyota Prius differs from all the other vesicles when it comes to electronics, solar, inverter, generator, induction and so on. Looking forward to meet you all in person some day and to find lady nomad Prius dweller willing to mentor.
Bosnia

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Greetings Bosnia, I have considered the Prius as a home. My take on it is that is a vehicle with an small engine that's connected to a big generator that charges a big battery. Solar cells are optional. The motor and battery can supply lots of energy because the motor will start automatically when the battery is low and turns off when it's full. As a car home, the main advantage I like is that it will cool and heat the interior with a thermostat control. The engine and battery cells will automatically supply whatever heat or cool air is needed. So it will be heated in the winter and cooled in the summer. Sleeping inside should be comfortable. Also, your electricity needs will be supplied by the BIG battery. The same sophisticated engine/generator/electric motor system gives good mileage especially when driving in stop and go city traffic because the generator slows the car down and charges the battery at the same time. That stored electrical energy is then used by the motor/generator to move the car when the light changes. The downside I see is that the batteries will wear out eventually and need replacing sometime. If the generator fails, I heard that it's not worth tearing the car apart completely apart since it's embedded in the middle of the car.

Thanks Zephyr,
It is overwhelming how many Prius videos are on this site as well as on YouTube in general. I see so many options for stoves that I never used before. Do you know, by any chance, if induction device needs inverter and who can install it. Thanks!

Bosnia, as Sofisintown said, there's lots of good information on Prius's here. Use the forum search on the top of the forum page and you will learn a lot from people who have and are living in them.

I apologize for my first post. I've been enthusiastic about living in a Prius for awhile. I guess maybe I was talking to myself. You know the virtues of your car. It's a great choice.

No need to apologize, I am Prius lover too. I sold my first 2001 Prius after 100,000 miles but not my 2009 Prius. The second car also has 100,000 miles and I wish to convert it to my mini RV. My arthritis and lack of tools doesn't let me do DIY , so I will rely on others a lot. Thanks and happy travels !

Sofisintown, thanks for helping out!
However your link in "not valid" for some reason.
I joined the "hybrid" forum already.
Best regards !

"Do you know, by any chance, if induction device needs inverter and who can install it."

Yes, you will need an inverter that consumes DC watts to provide the AC watts (volts x amps) needed by your AC induction device. If it needs a 1000 watts, your inverter, being inefficient, may draw a lot more watts to do the conversion. But, you may use AC for other things and a decent sized inverter may be a needed. The inverter will have some bulk and will need quality wiring with fuses. I'm a Prius neophyte. I'm guessing inverters are commonly installed in Prius's.
A Prius group will know the ins and outs and a good installer.

Latest posts