Newcomer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Moore

Reaction score
Hello all, my name is Scott and I knew not only to The Forum but new to beginning the nomadic life. I will be starting out in a car which is a 2005 Subaru Outback. I've made a few videos of my build so far, but I'm always watching YouTube videos to get more ideas. I not only have to consider myself but also Iris my 60 pound dog. I'm looking forward to scouring this forum for all sorts of ideas and information.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Scotty! If you have any questions, please ask! We were all new to this at one time. :)

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thank you and I do intend to read as.much as I can. Reading on phone so much eyes get a bit tired haha I intend to be at the 2018 RTR

I just realized I didn't fully introduce myself. I am 52, Live in the mountains of Colorado. I have a nice home with nice view but I need to move on. Itchy feet as Bob W. Says! My plans are to rent out my house and hopefully live on that. Still not sure if I want to travel with a group that accepts me, or just venture out on my own in solitude. Feel free to contact me people.

Hi Scotty and welcome. Do you have your videos on YouTube? If so and you're comfortable with it, post a Linky! Mountains of Colorado, sounds wonderful. I hope you find what you're looking for, I think this place is a good start. Doubt anyone agrees with everyone, but the nature of the forum here makes it possible to find all kinds of thinking. Best of luck! Give your puppy a pet\pat for me! :cool:

Scotty Moore said:
 I will be starting out in a car which is a 2005 Subaru Outback. 

I've driven the Outback fairly recently.  It was a Dream to drive on steep mountain roads.  Great start!  I'm new too so good luck to us.

Scotty Moore said:
 Still not sure if I want to travel with a group that accepts me, or just venture out on my own in solitude.

Keep in mind that, with this lifestyle; traveling with a group that accepts your AND venturing on your own in solitude are not mutually exclusive.  You might caravan with a few others for a month or so, take off in  different directions than each other for awhile, then meet up somewhere/sometime  agreed upon to repeat the process ...

Scotty Moore said:
I just realized I didn't fully introduce myself. I am 52, Live in the mountains of Colorado. I have a nice home with nice view but I need to move on. Itchy feet as Bob W. Says! My plans are to rent out my house and hopefully live on that. Still not sure if I want to travel with a group that accepts me, or just venture out on my own in solitude. Feel free to contact me people.

Hey Scotty and welcome to the forum! I turn 48 in a couple hours so you have a couple on me but you sound like someone I could be interested in hanging out with. I also agree with Thirsty Boots Nomad the beauty of being a nomad is the ability to come and go as you please. We all need our alone time and time to gather right? Two weeks in a crowd the size of the RTR is pushing for me but most split off into smaller tribes of like minded people before during and after anyways and if someone rubs you the wrong way being mobile it's easy to pack up and move.

I too live in the beautiful mountains of Colorado and own my own home but the two times I tried renting both were disasters and cost me dearly so just a word of caution. I too am getting the itchy feet and feeling the need to move on. Actually looking for some acreage in Northern AZ or NM for some peace and quiet. I'm actually putting my place on the market and am heading south for the winter (scouting for new places) if you want to meet up anywhere I hope to be out of here by Nov 1st at the latest.

Stormy said:
 I turn 48 in a couple hours

Actually looking for some acreage in Northern AZ or NM for some peace and quiet. I'm actually putting my place on the market and am heading south for the winter (scouting for new places) if you want to meet up anywhere I hope to be out of here by Nov 1st at the latest.

Happy Birthday Stormy!  I looked at some land in northern az (st john area).  I can't do it at the moment but have an eye on something like that too, I bet a lot of us do.

Best to both of you!

Stormy said:
I too live in the beautiful mountains of Colorado and own my own home but the two times I tried renting both were disasters and cost me dearly so just a word of caution. 
Hi Scott,
Welcome to another Coloradians. I'm from Denver. 
I agree with Stormy. You can have problems when renting property. I have a small rental property that was a nightmare until I hired a property management company. Well worth the money. When I rent my house out and go on the road I'm going to use them. Do I really want to worry about a stopped up toilet back home when I'm sunning myself on a beach in Florida.  :D
Best wishes to you and Iris!

Wabbit said:
Hi Scotty and welcome. Do you have your videos on YouTube? If so and you're comfortable with it, post a Linky! Mountains of Colorado, sounds wonderful. I hope you find what you're looking for, I think this place is a good start. Doubt anyone agrees with everyone, but the nature of the forum here makes it possible to find all kinds of thinking. Best of luck! Give your puppy a pet\pat for me! :cool:

Hi Wabbit and thanks, yes I have a YouTube site but you know being a newcomer here we aren't really allowed to post Links at least not for a while. Also, I did not want to appear as that was my sole purpose for coming here is to drive people to my channel which isn't really anything anyways. Yes puppy always enjoys a pet and Pat.

duckwonder said:

I've driven the Outback fairly recently.  It was a Dream to drive on steep mountain roads.  Great start!  I'm new too so good luck to us.

Hi duck, yes it drives really nice and is quite able at a quarter million miles. I actually for about a year now have used it for my first response vehicle for the fire department. I remember I have a photo of it going down a questionable Road back into some BLM and public mining near Salida Colorado. I will try to post it

Attachments

• IMG_20170906_102120.jpg
    IMG_20170906_102120.jpg
    931.7 KB
Thirsty Boots Nomad said:
Keep in mind that, with this lifestyle; traveling with a group that accepts your AND venturing on your own in solitude are not mutually exclusive.  You might caravan with a few others for a month or so, take off in  different directions than each other for awhile, then meet up somewhere/sometime  agreed upon to repeat the process ...

Thanks thirsty boots and yes I think it will just have to be discovered when I find myself there.

Stormy said:
Hey Scotty and welcome to the forum! I turn 48 in a couple hours so you have a couple on me but you sound like someone I could be interested in hanging out with. I also agree with Thirsty Boots Nomad the beauty of being a nomad is the ability to come and go as you please. We all need our alone time and time to gather right? Two weeks in a crowd the size of the RTR is pushing for me but most split off into smaller tribes of like minded people before during and after anyways and if someone rubs you the wrong way being mobile it's easy to pack up and move.

I too live in the beautiful mountains of Colorado and own my own home but the two times I tried renting both were disasters and cost me dearly so just a word of caution. I too am getting the itchy feet and feeling the need to move on. Actually looking for some acreage in Northern AZ or NM for some peace and quiet. I'm actually putting my place on the market and am heading south for the winter (scouting for new places) if you want to meet up anywhere I hope to be out of here by Nov 1st at the latest.

Hi stormy and thanks, yes I will just have to see what happens with the RTR. I mean my preference is also to be away from the crowds but... Maybe 2 weeks out at the RTR is like a weekend at the family's for Thanksgiving. 

I myself live smack dab in the center of the state. Southern Park County if you will. For me my experience before when I had to go take care of my mom for 6 months was that I allowed someone to stay here rent-free and their only obligation is to take care of the utilities and keep the rodents at Bay which they failed to do the latter. Anyways I've been spending lots of time trying to not only fix up my house painting new carpet Etc but also get my car ready. My goal is to hopefully get on the road within a month.

Stormy said:

P.S. happy birthday!

Dream True said:
Hi Scott,
Welcome to another Coloradians. I'm from Denver. 
I agree with Stormy. You can have problems when renting property. I have a small rental property that was a nightmare until I hired a property management company. Well worth the money. When I rent my house out and go on the road I'm going to use them. Do I really want to worry about a stopped up toilet back home when I'm sunning myself on a beach in Florida.  :D
Best wishes to you and Iris!

Hi thanks dream, yes I definitely plan to use a property management company. They charge 10% of the rent. They take a little bit and save up a maintenance fund. They also come and under the premise of routine maintenance, they are able to inspect the property every 6 months. Yes I do agree money well spent. Now if I can just get up the motivation to finish out the house you're still a lot of work to do.

As I sit here thinking, (Which I do alot) I am reminiscing about my truck driving days. I spent 8 years driving truck over the road. I made all 48 and Canada. Yes I traveled all over the country, but didn't actually get to see the country. See, when you drive truck, for the most part one is limited to the highway or truck routes. So yes, I got to see what was visible from the road, but not much else. Now it is my time to go experience that. One camp at a time :)

I guess I am just trying to fit in. Yeah I am my own person. I tend to stay to myself and I try not to be pushy. I am open to interaction with others however one on one seems to be better for me. I am just trying to find my place in this world. Someone asked before about a youtube channel. I guess I can get by with posting it now without fear of the Forum police coming after me. I can only try even though I am just an amateur.

Scotty Moore said:
I guess I am just trying to fit in. Yeah I am my own person. I tend to stay to myself and I try not to be pushy. I am open to interaction with others however one on one seems to be better for me. I am just trying to find my place in this world. Someone asked before about a youtube channel. I guess I can get by with posting it now without fear of the Forum police coming after me. I can only try even though I am just an amateur.

...meh thinks you underestimate your accomplishments...  ;)  Hey, you've planned well and continue to which is much further ahead in the game
thank I am!   Fit in?  You seem a perfect fit for the nomad life to me. I'm seeing that many are rather the loner .. Lone Wolf' types.
Nothin wrong with that at all!  As much as I blab on the forum, I'm very low key in person and absolutely demand my alone time...
couldn't exist without it, actually.

Nice videos!  I didn't see Iris ... did I just blink and miss her?  please post her picture!   :idea:

JustACarSoFar said:
...meh thinks you underestimate your accomplishments...  ;)  Hey, you've planned well and continue to which is much further ahead in the game
thank I am!   Fit in?  You seem a perfect fit for the nomad life to me. I'm seeing that many are rather the loner .. Lone Wolf' types.
Nothin wrong with that at all!  As much as I blab on the forum, I'm very low key in person and absolutely demand my alone time...
couldn't exist without it, actually.

Nice videos!  I didn't see Iris ... did I just blink and miss her?  please post her picture!   :idea:

Hello and thanks, yeah I was having a down moment. Iris is actually in a few of the videos. I forget which ones. I think she was briefly in the next to the last video I posted. For those wanting to see Iris, here is one of her best photos albeit a few years back.

Attachments

• IMG_0660.JPG
    IMG_0660.JPG
    124.1 KB