Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldiebob

Reaction score
Even though I started van camping in 1958 in a 47 Ford panel truck and later drove cross country in a 1954 Chevie Step Van and still later in a 64 Dodge A100 window van, I still  feel like I'm starting something brand new.
I'm looking for a class A motorhome, diesel powered, something in the 32 to 36 foot range.
This an area I know nothing about, motorhomes, so I am open to suggestions as to brands to look for and brands to avoid.
I am single, nearly 83(very active), vegan, worked as a mechanic on specialty cars most of my life, love to read, mostly non-fiction, cook 99% of my meals, non smoker, anything, drink a beer with dinner now and then. Well, that's the short story and ready to start the last chapter.   
Bob,aka GoldieBob, aka FriscoBob  aka "or worse."                                                           
"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs
And blaming it on you."

Welcome Goldiebob to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome. I’m in a Class A now myself for medical reasons. Do you know if you are looking for new or used and your price limit? New ones can be super expensive - I bought used.

Forget about anything by Thor, forestriver to start with.

Born free has a very good reputation and a couple of more. I’ll think of them not long after I send this reply as usual.

Why class A over Class C?

Airstream is a Thor product, are they just living on a past reputation? Oddly enough Class A is usually less money where I live and I feel Class A are more substantially built. Buti have no direct knowledge that is so. Lastly Class A seem to have more storage room. Your thoughts?

Yeah Airstream sold out to Thor. Lots of complaints about the new ones now but they are still better than most.

I have a ton of storage in my Class A for sure. Mine is full of fabric for quilting mostly.

So many companies that had pretty good products sold out to Thor and, within a few years, quality went straight down.

You can join forums or groups on the different models you want to look at read about the problems or good things about each RV. That’s how I finally decided on the one I’m in now.

PS. I don’t like what I have. Too many buttons and systems to try to even understand.

Don't buy a used Safari Motorhome. They are all junk and need constant mechanical work. Holiday Rambler, Nuwmar, Country Coach, Monaco Coach. These are older models. These brands put out quality product back in the 90's.

All.. and I do mean all, RVs are a trap, a money pit. Just like a sailboat, it is a hole into which you pour money that you will never get back.

That said, some older models are better built, but they are also older and with that comes with its own set of issues with mechanical systems dying off or breaking, let alone engine and transmission issues that come with age. The "grail" is the one owner RV with excellent records and history, but that is a near needle in a haystack.. I actually found one last month, but the seller would not wait for me to sell my home... maybe it will a blessing ..

So stuff built in the 90's was better built, but the choice is a coin flip .. the reality is you will be fixing whatever you buy... shop smart and get a professional inspection before you buy.

JJsimonds said:
All.. and I do mean all, RVs are a trap, a money pit. Just like a sailboat, it is a hole into which you pour money that you will never get back.

Well that’s ANY vehicle really. Whether you have a car, van, bus or RV or even a mobile home you lose money when you drive it off the lot. But we all accept this as a living expense and carry on. Darn better than hitchhiking I think.

If anyone has found a way to actually buy your rig and not have it lose value I sure want to know about it.

I’ve had Class A’s, a 2002 dynamax Carrigo class B+ which was great - but that year engine was the one that popped spark plugs, several travel trailers, and a couple of tents. I also had many cars. I lost money on each one. That’s just the way it is. No sense picking on one of them.

gizmotron said:
Don't buy a used Safari Motorhome. They are all junk and need constant mechanical work. Holiday Rambler, Nuwmar, Country Coach, Monaco Coach. These are older models. These brands put out quality product back in the 90's.

Nuwmar is Newmar if you are going to look at those. It’s what I have. I guess it’s a good RV and has a ton of room but it’s a pain in the butt with a gazillion switches for every weird little thing. The Newmar owners love them but it’s just too much for me. It’s not hard to drive but you sure don’t have a lot of parking choices on city streets. I’ve taken it everywhere that I want to go on BLM land otherwise.

I really did prefer the Dynamax B plus and at 23 foot it was much easier. Only thing I didn’t like on the Dynamax is I really didn’t have underneath storage too much. I wish I could buy it back. Maybe one day! The newer Dynamaxes went to crap a few years after Thor bought them out.