Newbie to RVing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robertag

Reaction score
Being a senior and after living in the city for many years and not having had the time to travel due to work/family commitments; I'm now near retirement and wanting to travel to see areas of the U.S.A. I have never had the opportunity to see and experience before. I've been researching and comparing the pros and cons/advantages and disadvantages of the various vehicle types for traveling/living in on the road and that would provide adequate and comfortable space for two (2) people, my wife and I. I'm not interested in a large RV or traditional fully self-contained travel trailer or 5th wheel trailer, so am considering a small, minimalist travel trailer (for 2 people) or possibly a cargo trailer conversion or cargo van. However, I would like to be able to stand up inside or at least close to full vertical (as I'm 5'11"). This basically eliminates traditional teardrop trailers, cars, and vans, etc. 

I joined this forum to see if I can learn what types of vehicle other like-minded members have for traveling/living in and to get welcomed feedback on the advantages/disadvantages of the various RV types members have. I'm also interested in an RV that is very economical and keeps traveling/living in costs to a minimum. 

Thank you and appreciate any feedback/ideas other members may have.

Bob :)

Welcome Bob. I am partial to cargo trailers, but I just use mine for recreation presently. A nice high top van would certainly
be a good alternative (or addition), but I cant seem to find a decent full size van for a price that I would pay. I toyed with the idea of a Shuttle
Bus conversion, but after doing measurements, I found little advantage over what I had. For cheap floor space and 6' 6" ceiling, a cargo trailer is hard to
match for the price as a starting point.

Welcome Bob to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

highdesertranger

Thank you for your reply, trailer-t. Glad to know you're partial to cargo trailers, as that is the direction I'm focusing my research on. What manufacturer/brand is your trailer? Any particular brands/manufacturers of c-trailers you would recommend? I'm considering between a 6X8,10, 12 or 14' with single axle. Is your insulated inside and have electric outlets/lights? Thank you

Robert Below a thread that just wound down that has some forum thoughts and info on the cargo trailer issue.

https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=39676

I have a single axel Arising 7' by 12' ramp door with a 3 foot extended V nose that I have been happy with---6' 6" interior height.
No insulation, but I would have it insulated at the factory if I did it again. For electric I just use a 5 bulb contractor light string around the walls
with surge protector strip to plug appliances in. I use very little electric except for the 6000 btu window AC which has its own separate line.
There are a couple of pics in the above thread. I intended to use this trailer just for BBQ contests when I bought it, and not as a camper.
I would definitely suggest tandem axel (with trailer brakes) if buying for a camper build as the weight adds up fast on a bigger single axel trailer
like a 12 or 14 footer. The trailers in Georgia seem to be priced substantially cheaper than the ones from Indiana. I suspect build quality may be less,
but I never really studied that. I really can't comment on brands--except I previously had a 16 foot Diamond Cargo Tandem which was fine as well.

Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :)

This is an excellent place for you to be now at this stage of your investigating.

I'll mention this just for your consideration.  A few years back I met a retired couple at an Interstate Rest Stop & Tourist Information building near where I live.  They had a 4 cylinder Chevy S-10 pickup and were towing this small SCAMP all fiberglass 5th wheel camping trailer.  Much like this one.

[img=400x400]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/72/dd/3a/72dd3a591a77bf03e666c9dfd1f20f32.jpg[/img]

I spoke with them for a few minutes.  It was Memorial Day and there was a free coffee
and snacks food truck there that the  local HAM Radio people were operating.  So over a
cup of coffee he offered to show me his rig.

He told me the pickup had no problem towing the 5th wheel at high way speeds with the A/C running.
He spoke of it being light weight and a dream to travel with.

His wife explained that their kids had grown up and now had families of their own where back in their youth they had had
a variety of RV's.  So they had experience with a variety of rigs.  So when she opened the 5th wheel and invited me in to look it over,  it was minimal, practical, and nicely laid out.

[img=550x300]https://rvobsession.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/floor_plan_19_large_layouta.jpg[/img]

When they pulled out I followed them down the interstate to the next exit.  They were all but leaving me
in their dust.  They could have been pulling a 12 ft aluminum fishing boat with a 10 hp outboard motor
with as much ease.  Needless to say I was quite impressed with their outfit.

After reading your original post,  I thought of this couple's story and the things you state that you are looking for in a
rig.   They were traveling the USA also and I believe they were from eastern Iowa.   I met them where Kentucky, West Virginia, and Ohio meet and they were on their way the Atlantic coast.

there is an advantage to towing a trailer for a couple. You can have some private time and distance. One person in the trailer, the other in the tow vehicle.

If you use a van to tow then you can have two solar panel and battery set ups and extra storage space or even a small workshop/hobby space in the van. Plus a quiet place to nap while other activity is going on in the trailer. It does not have to be a high top van although it of course can be.

It is mentally healthy to be able to be on your own now and again to refresh and relax. Especially when the weather is not pleasant for several days in a row.

eDJ_ said:
Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :)

This is an excellent place for you to be now at this stage of your investigating.

I'll mention this just for your consideration.  A few years back I met a retired couple at an Interstate Rest Stop & Tourist Information building near where I live.  They had a 4 cylinder Chevy S-10 pickup and were towing this small SCAMP all fiberglass 5th wheel camping trailer.  Much like this one.
Thanks much for the reply, photo and floorplan of the Scamp 5th wheel! Appreciate it.