newbie question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drive by a 5th wheel on a piece of private property that has been used as a home for years. It has a shirt on it and a big propane tank.

Another may to rent a pasture with a barn and park inside the barn. Just claim you are storing the RV inside the barn.

Cammalu yes I know you are what Eastern Kentucky people call “flat landers”. For years the majority of coal tax money was spent in the western half of the state because that is where the horse breeders and rich of the state with political influence lived. For instance you can see the transportation system and therefore manufacturing tech jobs are in that part of the state while poverty and drugs continue to be a problem in the eastern part. Now the struggle between the rich and poor has expanded to the entire country and the poor of which many have been deprived the chance to get educated and are easily influenced are a big part of the problem especially in a place like Eastern Kentucky where poverty and a poor education system has been a problem for many generations.

My house got rebuilt from the outside but not a single thing inside was replaced even though we had paid over $300,000 in the contract for the interior, from blinds to clothing, imagine a lifetime of stuff and I’m pretty minimalist but pots and pan, photographs, clothes and shoes, medications. The list is endless.

I lost everything single in the world (even my glasses and phone) except my car (didn’t have the fob even) and no money to replace it.

Yeah went through an attorney, the State Insurance Commission etc Everything you could think of. Insurance companies routinely get away with this.

I went on the road because I was in an abusive situation and tried to go back because physically it’s very hard for me but I’m going to have to leave again.
Thank you for asking though.

MG1912 said:
Inspectors love to find something wrong.  Depending on the area, they'll usually find something minor with every new property, even conventional homes, which is then usually easily addressed.  They'll have a field day with a parked RV or tiny home.  There are lots of examples of towns and counties being very harsh to those attempting to live in an RV or tiny home on private land...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-parked-her-tiny-house-160411263.html
Looks like two of their complaints could have been remedied- parking it far enough from the lot line is easy to fix, but having no plumbing system more difficult, but fixable. The complaint they had and did not express was the $29k price tag. When you average that in to the neighborhood comps the property values do go down.

Really too bad that there does not seem to be a fix for this. Starter castles win and tiny houses lose. Except in that one town in TX.
-crofter

LERCA said:
...Yeah went through an attorney, the State Insurance Commission etc Everything you could think of. Insurance companies routinely get away with this....
Houses seem to be a good investment until they're not. 
There are more ways to lose your shirt with housing than anything else.

I agree, that if you want land, build a permitted garage/ barn on it back from the property line and park in there. Have a permitted plumbing system included. You may be able to get away with living in your RV that way, without hassles from the property value focused neighbors.
-crofter

The pandemic made us realize that we needed a home base. So we bought 1/4 of an acre in cheap New Mexico and put a singlewide mobile on it. While hooking up the utilities, we also put in a RV dump pipe and an exterior 30amp service.

We almost bought a few acres on county land and were going to plop our tiny house there, but it fell through. Zoning is pretty nonexistent in rural areas.. New Mexico is a poor state and acceptance of nonstandard housing is the norm. Since we live in town, though, we didnt have the luxury of such freedom-hence the mobile home. The tiny house is set up for living and that will be brought up here (it's a movable 10'x20' shed on skids). It will be for kids/family and hooked up to the RV dump and the 30amp service.

Zoning doesn't allow someone to live in their RV more than 180days a year in this town, but once the homestead is set up, enforcement is pretty lax (like nonexistent!). The guy next door rents out his house for Airbnb and lives in his fifth wheel on the lot. No one complains.

We have flexibility now and can't be evicted. That's peace of mind.
Ted

highdesertranger said:
you're not allowed to have a garden?  in the whole state?  what state is this?  I don't believe it.  highdesertranger

It's obviously not New jersey...