Newbie Question: Boondocking near Pahrump

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyVanderer

Reaction score
After checking Campendium and free campsites.org, I'm still not able to find a place to boondock. I've also checked my atlas... Any spots people particularly like? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Hi Julie...…….The road next to the Home Depot takes you uphill to BLM land...……..Just past the powerlines to the LEFT

The HOWA Caravans camped there...………We were there last September.....

Some people camped way-out toward the mountains...…..Wild horses out there!

YMMV...….Be Safe

abnorm said:
Hi Julie...…….The road next to the Home Depot takes you uphill to BLM land...……..Just past the powerlines to the LEFT

That's Basin Avenue. You can also take Wheeler Pass Road for other sites. It intersects Basin.

Just about everything on all sides of Pahrump is public land. If you get the phone app US Public Lands it overlays various jurisdictions -- BLM, Forest Service, Park Service, state land, military, etc.

wow i just checked and the city of Pahrump covers a lot of territory. it actually surprised me, however it is surrounded by BLM. it is generally legal to camp on BLM land unless it is posted "No Camping". so any direction you go out of town is open for camping.

again all this info on where to find BLM land is readily available on "My Land Matters" remember 90% of Nevada is a campground.

highdesertranger

I have been seeing dispersed camping off of NV-160 outside of Pahrump (along the 70 mph section) towards US-95 this year.

Also farther out past the Crystal turn off, on the left side of NV-160 heading towards US-95 is another large area that I have been seeing campers this year.

Anti-social distancing.

I got the US Public Lands app and it is so cool. Thanks for the specific info, Everybody. It really helps.

happyVanderer said:
After checking Campendium and free campsites.org, I'm still not able to find a place to boondock. I've also checked my atlas... Any spots people particularly like? Your help is greatly appreciated!
I made an account here after years of on and off lurking... Just to say this: how near to Pahrump do you need to be? You can gain atmosphere and a little altitude if you leave the valley and go to Lovell Canyon Rd. We spent a couple of weeks in glorious solitude there before going to Jean/ Roach dry lakes. They are both OHV areas, which worried me at first, but turned out just fine. Neither place is overrun with noisy, smelly vehicles.​

Ravella and X said:
Jean/ Roach dry lakes. [/align]
Welcome RandX.

That place is awfully close to Vegas. Were not there a lot weekend warriors there?

I was irritated by the dust around Pahrump, that white dirt really hangs in the air. Otherwise I  :heart: Pahrump.
-crofter

I live in Pahrump in sticks and bricks. Actually we are not a city. just an area of Nye County. Every time someone wants to incorporate we shut it down. There is another dirt road off of 160 called Carpenter Canyon. it is on the South end of town. The dirt road goes East. There is a BLM fire station marker on 160. Down by Gamebird Rd. I camped there while looking for a house. I have not been all the way up but I hear it goes to a small creek. I could still see the valley from where I was, (road curves North and goesa behind a hill).

I went to Walmart this morning and seen a Class B that has been there in the lot for what seems weeks. Homeless people camp behind that shopping center as well, and the Police leave them alone.

For free water find Petrack Park, just West of 160 off of Basin. Across the park road from the community building there are bathrooms that are closed, but the spigot at the light pole is still on, (watered my dog there yesterday).

If you camp off of Bell Vista RD, (goes to Death Valley Junction), be careful to not be down stream from what us locals use for a gun range. it is about 8 miles out of town. Shooters point North west sort of. There are dirt brims that we shoot into, but someone may get careless.

Qxxx said:
Welcome RandX.

That place is awfully close to Vegas. Were not there a lot weekend warriors there?
Surprisingly, not many. We are far enough from the lake beds that we can't hear them, and need binoculars to see them bigger than ants. We have no neighbors near enough to annoy us, though we can see them off in the distance.

Incorporation allows the created municipal unit to issue bonds to borrow money. To be paid back via taxation on businesses and residents.

There is plenty of BLM land further out Bell Vista past the shooting range.
The (not so) weird thing is that right there is a legitimate site to discharge firearms, and yet, the road signs nearest the range have many bullet holes.
I always check around for shell casings, cans with holes, and broken beer bottles, when inspecting a dispersed site.

DannyB1954 said:
For free water find  Petrack Park,  just West of 160 off of Basin.  Across the park road from the community building  there are  bathrooms that  are closed,  but the spigot at the light pole is still on, (watered my dog there yesterday).
Does the water need to be filtered for drinking? I've always used water kiosks (pre-filtered) because I don't know how to tell if free water is safe for drinking or not.

For me the water is hard as rocks. There is a kiosk beside Smiths just below BurgerKing on the East side of Hwy160. That water is good. 5 gallons for a buck.