Newbie Nomad

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NomadMike

Reaction score
I just wanted to say hello to everyone on this great forum. After reading Bob's philosophy, and some other things he has written, i knew this was the group that i would align with best, even though i dont live in a van. I do however have a fairly new fifth wheel that i saved up (After having to sell my semi truck and trailer, i was an owner operator) for after becoming disabled about 3 years ago. Now after my wife suffered a horribly painfull disease called pshoriatic arthritis, and just received her disability a few months ago, we have rented the house for extra income, and have decided to set out on the road here shortly, after i save up and get my solar system installed. We hope to make it out to the RTR in 2016 to try to learn as much about this lifestyle and boonkocking as possible. :)

Welcome to you and your wife. Sometimes getting out in nature more can be physically healing as well as mentally/emotionally. Hope so for you both.

Welcome to the CRVL forums NomadMike! X3 - I agree with WrierMs too. Being out in nature is so good for body and soul. Hope to see you and your wife at the RTR!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

We won't hold that big ol' fiver against you! Actually, there's plenty of members that travel in a motor home, 5er or TT.

Welcome, both of you!!! Hope to see you at the RTR

[Well , i sure hope not, because im a minamalist at heart, with similar views on society and other aspects of life, as a lot of you on here have. But with the wife's arthritis, a van just would'nt work.

Welcome Mike, we're very glad you are here! Vandwelling is an attitude, not a choice of homes! Sounds like you will fit in great!

I agree with you, only a few special couples can live in a van, for most people I recommend a larger RV. Add a disability on top of that and a 5er sounds perfect!

Looking forward to meeting you at the RTR!
Bob

Yeah my wife and I share a cargo van conversion and while it's fun I can't say I recommend it unless you're both pretty small and limber. It's a tight fit for two! We might be upgrading to a MH in the next couple years.
What are you considering for solar? A good powerful solar setup can be had for a little over $1k, and even less if you don't need a fridge or microwave.

Anans1 said:
Yeah my wife and I share a cargo van conversion and while it's fun I can't say I recommend it unless you're both pretty small and limber. It's a tight fit for two! We might be upgrading to a MH in the next couple years.
What are you considering for solar? A good powerful solar setup can be had for a little over $1k, and even less if you don't need a fridge or microwave.

I am looking at a few options, probably looking at 600 watts worth of panels, Renogy or used Kyocera panels. I will probably be going with a Morningstar tristar controller, and 4 6 volt golf cart batteries. The inverter i am not sure about, most the good quality one's are more than i can afford right now.

I use the renogy 250w 24v panels with two eco worthy 400w (really 25a) mppt controllers. It's a little less than $1k before batteries and it was the best I could come up with for the price. That's with new panels though I'm sure you could find used ones cheaper.

Latest posts