Newbie (ish)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarciMallow

Reaction score
Hello all, 

I have followed this site for about a year, and with the exception of 5 months living with my mom (what a nightmare and story in itself), I've been living in my van for a little over a year.  I have a 1996 Ford Econoline Mark III with a wheelchair lift that is broken at the moment.  I've taken out all the back seats and have a cot, desk, and portapotty in there, along with my cat, Sparky.  While it's not the best, it does work for me.  I make jewelry (MarciMallow) and until next week I have a blog, though I'm about to rebrand and change everything up.  Right now, I"m boondocking in Central Texas, in a little bitty town called Copperas Cove, though I travel back and forth to Killeen.  Next week, when my van, Petunia, gets a new radiator, I will be going further.  I'm quite nervous because I've never gone where I don't know anyone, and this is a HUGE step for me...though a necessary one.  I'm still working on storage solutions and food, and I'm OK with showers at truckstops...I actually feel quite safe at truck stops.  I need to get a few more things for safety, and then figure out how to get my wheelchair in and out of the van easily, but other than that, I'm ready to go.  I want to travel, however, I probably won't be going very far until this summer because I also participate in Wheelchair Basketball with a local team called the Harker Heights Hustlers.  I am disabled and live on social security, with a little bit of child support, which my son lives with his aunt and we've worked out an agreement that I pay her some also from what I get so it helps us both out.  

Last summer, I had someone ask me, "What are you running from?" and at the time it was nothing, but right now, I've been abused and assaulted at my mom's house, so I am actually looking to "find" myself and heal from the trauma of the past couple of months.  

I'm trying to figure out a name for a new blog, as I'm very active on social media and want something to include my van life.  It may not be the best, and I'm upgrading a little at a time, but it's what I have.  The motor is stout, and I have new tires.  There's just a couple of minor (hopefully) problems that can be easily fixed over the next couple of months while I embark on this journey.  

As I mentioned, this is a twist because I have to make room for a wheelchair and I have to make sure things are accessible.  Again, as mentioned, I travel with my cat...who will not try to leave the van, and usually rides in my lap or a perch that I made for her, that I'm still perfecting.  

Thank you for having me, and I welcome any suggestions and insights along with any other advice...for example, maybe I share too much?  Maybe I'm too talkative?  Anything, because you guys are my new family...which is really funny but true...

Welcome Marci to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

highdesertranger

Carla618 said:
Welcome Marci:) Have you already checked with social service agencies in your area for help with the lift?
Unfortunately, Petunia is too old, and the lift is beyond any repair I believe...so as soon as I can, I will be removing it.  I'm still working with space and trying to get things figured out.