Newbie Help w/ Solar

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was originally going to get a Renogy kit, but it will be cheaper to put one together myself. Can someone comment with Amazon links to cables and other doodads I will need? Not including batteries and panels or a controller, just the little stuff cables and such. Much appreciated  :heart: :thumbsup: :)

The bits and bobs, often depend on the connectors on your main items.  So until you decide on your main items, it is not easy to give advice on finished cables, or if you need to attach the connectors to the ends of the cables, yourself.

If the little stuff is too confusing for you, then you are likely much better off, with a kit. 

Alternatively, look at one of the many videos on youtube, as they will often also give advice on which wires, connectors and such, that is also needed. Some of the videos will also show/list what tools you need, in order to crimp/connect the wires, and such.

I got a small roll of cable, 50 feet of #8 AWG, from Amazon.  Looking at the cut end it was silvery in color.  Looking at the side of a stripped piece it was copper colored.  That means I actually got copper clad aluminum, CCA.  Aluminum has more resistance so a larger size is needed for similar performance but if you oversized originally you might get low enough resistance.  The copper cladding makes it possible to solder the wire.  Aluminum has the cold flow problem where connections that were tight become loose. 

To be fair, I have bought stuff from Amazon and actually got what I wanted.  Be careful using what you get.

Personally I am not a fan on MC4 connections. (Those are the wire leads coming off of the panels) they're fairly idiot proof. Plug and play. Adapter and adapters and adapters and even more adapters to buy and snap together. 

I solder my connections. Every time. The MC4s to me remind me of that old extension cord everyone's grandpa had that had been cut and spliced and cut and spliced and cut and taped back together again.

I remove the junction boxes and solder ring terminals onto the wire and screw it down. I solder the wires going into the charge controller to bullet connectors or spade connectors that I trim down to fit the opening. 

Some people swear by MC4s but I'll not use them. So for me google the wire size needed for the panels you're gonna use and buy copper wire, terminals, solder, and a heating source. My first system I soldered the terminals on by heating the terminal with a cigarette lighter. Just a bic butane lighter. Now I use a torch.

I did a quick search for a video showing how to solder terminals if you aren't familiar with how to do it.

A lot of the videos either did it wrong or were showcasing their crimpers and vises and such. Remember when soldering a terminal you arent trying to heat the solder with the torch but rather the terminal and melt the solder onto the terminal. The wire will wick the solder up itself just like a candle wick pulls wax into it.

Remember a torch gets VERY hot and molten solder can drip onto your skin. It can be done like this kid demonstrates in a garage without a vise but always practice safe working conditions, gloves, goggles, do not inhale lead vapors, etc.

XERTYX said:
Personally I am not a fan on MC4 connections. (Those are the wire leads coming off of the panels) they're fairly idiot proof. Plug and play. Adapter and adapters and adapters and even more adapters to buy and snap together. 

I solder my connections. Every time. The MC4s to me remind me of that old extension cord everyone's grandpa had that had been cut and spliced and cut and spliced and cut and taped back together again.

I remove the junction boxes and solder ring terminals onto the wire and screw it down. I solder the wires going into the charge controller to bullet connectors or spade connectors that I trim down to fit the opening. 

Some people swear by MC4s but I'll not use them. So for me google the wire size needed for the panels you're gonna use and buy copper wire, terminals, solder, and a heating source. My first system I soldered the terminals on by heating the terminal with a cigarette lighter. Just a bic butane lighter. Now I use a torch.
Never would have thought of that, thank you!