Newbie floor question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artmom

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
You all have been a wealth of incredible information as I begin converting my Chevy van. I have read all the floor posts to the point that they are all now starting to blur together. I don't think I've come across my question so I'm going to post it. If I've missed an similar post along the way, please forgive.

I have chosen to put down polysiso with 3/4 OSB board on top because I was able to get the board for free. I have read the posts about the foam just squishing under the board and losing the insulation properties. I mostly used it because I didn't want to damage the floor we had to rust seal and put down a spray bedliner in. So not so much a concern. What is a concern is the OSB board and the formaldehyde. I have put several coats of good paint on the entire board. Do you think this would help with the chemicals? Aside from that, I have seen many people using tiles, laminate, vinyl for their floors. I was just thinking of not putting anything down other than the paint and then using a small removable rug in the actual living/walking space and a floor mat under any plastic tubs I would slide around on the floor. Any words of wisdom for this newbie?

Unless you already have the OSB, I would spend a couple extra bucks for real plywood. OSB is basically wood chips and glue, so yes, it will off gas a lot more even if you paint it. A van only uses a couple sheets of plywood so it really is a small expense. Plus, OSB falls apart when it gets wet much faster than plywood - then you don't save any money as you have to redo it. Other than that I think just a well painted floor with a throw rug is a great idea - easy to clean and maintain.

Personally I would use the foam elsewhere in the build - walls and ceiling. The problem with it squishing isn't just loss of insulating value. It will compress unevenly and cause things to loosen and squeak. If you do want it in the floor, I would put solid wood runners the same thickness as the polyiso every 16'' across the floor and fill the insulation between them. Then screw the plywood to the runners. That will keep the insulation from compressing.

I agree with not using OSB. I did and wish I didn't. As stated it starts to separate with the smallest amount of water that is allowed to soak in. Furthermore, a lot of vinyl flooring products state to not install onto OSB.

x3 on the OSB if you ask around I heard they make low toxic plywood it will likely cost more but may be worth it, like MP said it is not like you have to buy a lot of it. The extra cost may be worth it if you are worried about formaldehyde I wish I had known about it before using luan in my build.

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm ditching the OSB and purchasing the plywood. :)