new van camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjjjlj4

Reaction score
HI, new to this forum, I just want info. on how to van camp at state parks and local campgrounds as this will be my first attempt at van camping, use what you have right?, to see if I like it, I want to escape to nature. I am 65/lady and yes, living on a ridiclous fixed income. I watch all the videos on u tube too. Thanks! Wendy

Welcome to the forums wjjjlj4! Where do you live? Pick a park close by and go on a day trip. Take everything that you think you'll need and then "live" there for the day. You'll discover what works, what doesn't, what you forgot, and if you like it. After that branch out to parks farther away and stay longer as you get comfortable with van life. You can also do a trial run in your driveway if that's possible where you live. Good luck! Come back and tell us how it went!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

HI, new to this forum, I just want info. on how to van camp at state parks and local campgrounds as this will be my first attempt at van camping, use what you have right?, to see if I like it, I want to escape to nature. I am 65/lady and yes, living on a ridiclous fixed income. I watch all the videos on u tube too. Thanks! Wendy
So, wjjjij4, where do you live? Must be in the southern tier of states, if you can camp out in your van in the dead of winter.........
BEST WISHES! There's lots of help, here.

Welcome to the forums wjjjlj4! Where do you live? Pick a park close by and go on a day trip. Take everything that you think you'll need and then "live" there for the day. You'll discover what works, what doesn't, what you forgot, and if you like it. After that branch out to parks farther away and stay longer as you get comfortable with van life. You can also do a trial run in your driveway if that's possible where you live. Good luck! Come back and tell us how it went!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.
HI, thanks for responding, I watch all the videos for 5 years so now ready to try, I am sleeping on my "crash matt" on living room floor to get used to the change. I live in suburb of Buffalo NY 10 minutes from Niagara Falls! I am going to "camp" in my friends back yard when our weather changes in, hopefully, by May and then go off and explore. Wendy

camping is mostly fun you will like - I slept in van for a month before going on road -
lots of good people here

I was taking a van trip this week. I was heading to VA after seeing the weather forecast for moderate temperatures. By the time I got to KY, a heat wave moved in and the temps hit the high 80's and VA was showing nearly 100! My van does not have AC unit unless I run the van and use it's AC. At 5:00 am the temp was still 77 degrees outside. It was very uncomfortable so I called it quits and returned home. :cry:

I stayed at a state park in MO. I asked for a primitive area since I didn't need hook ups. I was the only person in an area that could hold 200 tents. They set me up near the bathrooms and shower. Except for the high humidity and temps, the stay was very nice.

What questions did you have about van camping?

Latest posts