New type of AC and heating system

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
I just discovered this AC and heating system for maybe a van or different vehicle use. I can see this could work very well.
It can even be used in a tent. But they are expensive. Not too bad considering what they offer.......comfort in any type of weather. I was thinking I could take this along to use in my Ford Escape on extended road trips.
What do you think about it's usefulness?

http://www.climaterightair.com/applications/rv-trailer-air-conditioning-and-heating.html

http://www.climaterightair.com/climateright-2500-btu-mini-ac-heater.html

I can't find any numbers on draw. I think they are pretty generous thinking 2500 BTU will cool 400 sq ft, ny trailer is a bit more than half that and 5000 BTU is marginal.

jimindenver said:
I can't find any numbers on draw. I think they are pretty generous thinking 2500 BTU will cool 400 sq ft, ny trailer is a bit more than half that and 5000 BTU is marginal.

They do have the 5,000 btu unit also. But they are using cubic feet.....I think that may be different than square feet. 400 square feet = 54.2884 cubic feet. So the 2,500btu would probably cool and heat a van or car pretty well, under not too harsh of conditions.
Here are some specs on the 2,500
click on the specs tab after you scroll down the ad---

I am trying to figure out how it would be used on a vehicle such as a van or suv. I guess the hoses could be routed through a partially open window with some sort of wooden or cardboard frame for the hoses to mount to. Then there is the providing the electric to run it. Maybe a small generator or of course electric at a campground will work fine.

Stevesway said:
I just discovered this AC and heating system for maybe a van or different vehicle use. I can see this could work very well.
It can even be used in a tent. But they are expensive. Not too bad considering what they offer.......comfort in any type of weather. I was thinking I could take this along to use in my Ford Escape on extended road trips.
What do you think about it's usefulness?

http://www.climaterightair.com/applications/rv-trailer-air-conditioning-and-heating.html
Those air ducts look pretty lame. They don't look as if they would last a year on the road full time.

too expensive...
build a shelf with saddle that fits in the passenger window (sorta like an old drive-in food tray).
fit it with a panel (with AC sized cutout) that fills the window opening.
buy $100 AC window unit, 5000btu, and slide it in place. Voila. cheap and easy.
(make sure shelf angles down slightly on the outside for proper drainage) :idea:
a little foam rubber or carpet to protect painted surfaces and seal out the bugs to finish.

Stevesway said:
They do have the 5,000 btu unit also. But they are using cubic feet.....I think that may be different than square feet.  400 square feet = 54.2884 cubic feet. So the 2,500btu would probably cool and heat a van or car pretty well, under not too harsh of conditions.
Here are some specs on the 2,500
click on the specs tab after you scroll down the ad---

I am trying to figure out how it would be used on a vehicle such as a van or suv. I guess the hoses could be routed through a partially open window with some sort of wooden or cardboard frame for the hoses to mount to. Then there is the providing the electric to run it. Maybe a small generator or of course electric at a campground will work fine.

Here ya go Jim
http://www.climaterightair.com/products/climateright-models/climateright-5000-btu-a-c-heater.html

Mike

Window shaker in a box with some hoses...

It looks like a heat pump to me. If so, it can not do any heating if the outside temperature fails below 46 degrees Fahrenheit.

hold on there sq ft and cubic ft are 2 different animals. sq ft is 2 dimensional, cubic ft is 3 dimensional. you cannot convert sq to cubic feet without another number. if I have a room that is 10'x10' it is 100 sq ft I would have no way of telling the cubic ft of the room without knowing the height of the room is it 7' tall 8' tall 9'tall. it is impossible to convert sq ft to cubic ft without the height measurement and then you are not converting it but doing the calculation. highdesertranger

BC Guy said:
It looks like a heat pump to me.  If so, it can not do any heating if the outside temperature fails below 46 degrees Fahrenheit.

I don't think it is a heat pump because it pulls 800 watts in heat mode and 480 wattsin cool mode. So I that sounds like a heat element is involved in the heat mode. These wattages are for the 2,500 btu.

I have a Sharp 8,000 BTU window unit that pulls 560 watts running. Don't know what the draw is for startup, but 560 watts is measured by my Kill-A-Watt meter while running.

It's got my interest but need to talk to a few users. I've got a nice sized cargo rack attached to the receiver on my Transit connect, generator and the unit would fit there nicely. Take out a door window, reinsert matching wood panel to drill holes and attach 2 hoses. :)

ZoNiE said:
Window shaker in a box with some hoses...
It is a good flexible use heat & A/C system though.
GrantRobertson said:
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

This.

But if it's just a window A/C with air porting and external controls why does it cost so much more????? If the compressor and refrigeration system is built to last it might be priced right.

too expensive...
build a shelf with saddle that fits in the passenger window (sorta like an old drive-in food tray).
fit it with a panel (with AC sized cutout) that fills the window opening.
buy $100 AC window unit, 5000btu, and slide it in place. Voila. cheap and easy.
(make sure shelf angles down slightly on the outside for proper drainage)
lightbulb.gif

a little foam rubber or carpet to protect painted surfaces and seal out the bugs to finish.
This kind of setup is good for those who park for long periods of time. There is also the window A/C in back window trick.

Latest posts