new to forum

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyBounders

Reaction score
<P>Hey, I'm new to the forum and just trying to gather information regarding what it may take to travel/live in a converted van. </P>

<font class="Apple-style-span" face="Arial"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: small;">Hi Bunny...Welcome!</span></font>

<P>Thanks! It seems like a lot of cool, intelligent people post here that's why I decided to register. My gf and I have been kicking around the idea of traveling for a while now. At the moment we both live in an apt. and hold regular jobs. We don't have any dependants and we both have an itch to travel. We are avid hikers and the idea of being able to spend more of our time exploring/hiking is attractive to us. Having said that we are not in a financial position right now to make any moves but we need an idea of excactly what a build out would cost. I am mechanicaly inclined with basic power and hand tools but limited funds at the moment.</P>

Welcome!<div><br></div><div>I think your "build cost" is going to be relative to the comforts you require and how you prefer to travel. An older van conversion may be a good option as most every comfort is already in place. Just go through it, test and repair. Do some close to your current home dry runs for a few weekends. Converting a van from scratch can be cheap or costly, depending on what you require.Towing a trailer, tiny or large, where you can detach your home and venture out is another option.</div>

<P>Thanks Dirty Jeeper.&nbsp; I have thought about the idea of towing an old camper. That would make stealth a little more difficult I would guess, but definatly cool that it would already be set up to sleep/live in. If we do this we would be giving up our apt. and definatly be looking to live on the road for an extended period if it suits us. I'm trying to gather an idea of how realistic it would be to spend winters in the southwest and summers up north and not pay for where we park i.e. not using campgrounds and such. </P>

Bunny, several of us have campers newer, old and real old like mine. The real old ones attract attention because of their vintage memories. I have a 1961 Shasta Astrdome. Suits me fine for my purposes. You need more stealth, maybe go newer. Whatever you get, if in time it doesn't suit your family, sell it and get something else.<BR>Pics of mine are on my&nbsp;signature Blkjak made me. You have to go to older posts to see what I started with.<BR><B><FONT color=#ff00ff size=3>Dragonfly</FONT></B><BR>

<P><SPAN id=post_message_1271631526><FONT class=Apple-style-span size=2 face=Arial><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: small" class=Apple-style-span>Hi Bunny...Welcome!</SPAN></FONT></SPAN> <BR></P>

Hi bunny, welcome,
Here's mine, I sold the jeep ( hated to) and bought a newer 4 dr chevy blazer( awesome, love it) still have the bus for " me" or the Shasta for family outings.
08239dc7.jpg

4b6188e6.jpg

Thanks for the Welcome guys! This is great inspiration and I'm learning a lot as well.<br>